Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I am a new poster here but have been visiting this site for a long while and I'm an avid big bore shooter in both handguns and rifles. I have only recently been able to afford an entry double (buy too many guns and my fiancé eggs me on) and I have it on the laaayawaaay plan at Cabelas. I have read a lot of the posts on here regarding them and the one that I am getting I have thoroughly inspected. No ground muzzles, full 24" barrels and is in mint condition as it is new. It's a 470 ejector model and I am getting it with a hearty discount at 3700.00, even. I also received two full boxes of federal 470 cape shock soft points with it as well. The regulation target? Well, it shows 2" but who knows. It is newer model and hasn't been around for a long time.
So one question is did I get a good deal if it regulates? I think I did and in the end that's all that matters I guess but structurally... How good are they? It's mainly been purchased to hunt deer (yeah I know) but also for alaska next year where I'm getting married. My fiancé shoots my m70 458 and at 5.5" 122 lbs is tougher than most men. She shoots 40 full tilt 500 grainers in a sitting either standing or from the bench. Of course she's got something wrong in her head, she's marrying me! Although she's not overly fond of the Gibbs... Says stock doesn't fit her.
My second question is truly, what is a reasonable regulation group at 50 yards? I hear so much about two inches to four etc.

In case this has not been posted before, all sabattis are now gone from cabelas. Corporate sent a letter to all the stores and there is another company (owner of gunsinternational?) that is buying them all and putting them away for a period of time to then be sold later. That is what I've been told. Don't take that as gospel guys but that's what I was told per my cabelas gun library manager.

Thanks all...

Posts: 58 | Location: Maine | Registered: 18 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the rifle. I have a Sabatti in .450 3 1/4". In fact, I had it at the range on Thursday. My rifle did not have the muzzles ground. I had a real recoil pad installed on it, had the triggers lightened and added some weight in the butt stock. I mounted a Burris Fast Fire red dot on it and at 25 yards this is the target:

So I think it all comes down to the rifle. If yours shoots well, at $3700 it is absolutely a bargain. I think they are fun guns to play with. I would not consider hunting with one day-in and day-out in Africa, but certainly would not be opposed to taking one on a hunt. Hope it shoots well for you, enjoy it.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are very good rifles, if you get one that shoots well for you. No mechanical issues that I have seen. I have owned three of them.. Others don't like them because they hid the ground muzzle thing. I am sure you have read all about them here, so no need to regurgitate all of it. The topict has been thrashed to death and back.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah... Barf on the muzzle grind thing. I've really all there is to read on it. I guess I must be crazy to want one nonetheless. I could afford a more expensive rifle over a longer layaway but if this ones good... It's all I need. Glad to read something positive instead of all the same stuff again and again. Hell, I ain't shooting at 200 yards anyway. 100 yards max really. My 375 or 416 rigby will reach out 250 plus. I want the 470 for up close for peeling a bear off me or my fiancé in alaska. Africa is six years away. I'll know by then if the sabatti will make it there. I couldn't pass it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mjines.... Looks like a couple of beady eyes staring at you. I'll bet it shoots nearly that good at 50 yards too... I hope that my rifle is a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any rifle will shoot tight groups at 25yds.This also applies for a rifle that has almost all of its rifling gone or one that would not hit a barn at 50 or 100yds.Shooting at 25yds is no indication of accuracy or how reliable the rifle is.I would be concerned about the stability of a bullet if there was no accuracy at 50 or beyond.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Any rifle will shoot tight groups at 25yds.
If that were only true.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
If that were only true.

unless we are talking about 22 calibre rifles
If you have rifles that cant shoot at 25yds you are an idiot.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Sean, welcome to the forum, you WILL learn a lot here! There are more than a few of us here that are very happy with our Sabattis. Like you I bought mine (450NE) for use as a close range hammer while DG hunting. Mine shoots like Jines as do the ones owned by several of my friends. Get it out soon and shoot the crap out of it while the option of a store return is still on the table. If YOU are happy with the groups you are getting at the ranges that YOU feel are appropriate then keep the rifle and never look back! It is great affordable fun, good luck.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, 25 yards is a short distance yes but fifty isn't that far beyond 25 and if there is any rifling left in the barrel the groups indicative at 25 won't be miles off at 50. 100 yards would be different still. But at fighting range, those groups would take out your eye... Regardless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jcs... Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have my fingers and toes crossed as well as eyes that this one is a good one. As soon as I can get it off layaway I'll be posting photos. Might be awhile though. Building my house right now. It's not a Heym or a Searcy but it's what I can afford.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless we are talking about 22 calibre rifles
If you have rifles that cant shoot at 25yds you are an idiot.
Well I have had rifles that wouldn't shoot tight groups at 25 yards and either got rid of them or had them corrected. For example, one was an old 450NE 3-1/4 that had a very fouled bore that took a couple of hours of vigorous cleaning to correct. Another was a 100+ year old Paradox gun someone had messed with but H&H re-regulated it for me and it does very well now. Any rifle should be capable of a palm sized group at 100yds. But after you acquire something you never really know what you have till you take it to the range.

Regarding your comment about being an idiot, it was totally uncalled for.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sean, the absolute best advice you can receive on this forum is to ignore EVERYTHING shootaway posts and never look back. He has absolutely NOTHING of value to contribute, is a total moron, and slanderer of the first order.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People with diarrhea mouth usually have Shit-For-Brains.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sean, if your new rifle will hold four shots , two from each barrel, inside a 4 inch circle at 50 yds from a good rest you have a real shooter!

There is nothing wrong with just about any double rifle that will shoot that well. However a double rifle, no matter the name on it, that will not regulate is not a bargain no matter how little one pays for it!

I hope yours is a shooter!
...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If that were only true.

That's why I returned my last Sabatti - wouldn't print both barrels on paper at 25 yards! So I call BS to any rifle will do it.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
BTW, my first Sab in 450/400 is a shooter. Regulation targets are a hit/miss with them. You should be able to work uploads to make it print rather nicely at 50. Shouldn't be drastically diff from your 25 yard shots (shouldn't open up too great).

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:
quote:
quote:
If that were only true.

That's why I returned my last Sabatti - wouldn't print both barrels on paper at 25 yards! So I call BS to any rifle will do it.

bullshit-you just dont know how to shoot

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I'll take that as a compliment considering the source. After all, I've never filed my sights or shot the wrong "cow" rotflmo

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll take that as a compliment considering the source. After all, I've never filed my sights or shot the wrong "cow" rotflmo

that is why you cant shoot-you have no experience rotflmo
cant hit the target at 25yds-now I know why you are a sore loser-because I can!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

that is why you cant shoot-you have no experience rotflmo
cant hit the target at 25yds-now I know why you are a sore loser-because I can!

We have all seen your targets (looks like a load of buckshot was fired at the paper) and your cow buffalo video (excellent example of an up close poor shot and poor game recognition). Is the pot calling the kettle black here?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the idiot comment was unprovoked and completely uncalled for. But then again, perhaps that is the limit of his shooting capabilities and is jealous of the rest that can make shots that to him would be considered impossible... Say... 50 yards or stretch that a bit to 50 meters. I agree with Todd Williams, I should say ignore is the best option in this case. I can't even remember the screen name. I suppose not remembering someone's name is the greatest insult, especially if they are wearing a tag.

As to the other bits sent my way from you good folks, you are all right...
Mac, Any double that will regulate is a decent to very good double. If not, no matter the deal, it's no deal. I do hope my double shoots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And since I've been a bolt guy out of necessity for many years, how effective is the 75% rule on average? I would like to extend the life of the gun since in the future, I would like to acquire more doubles and give one to each of my four boys. Maybe luck will be on my side and I can have more than just the sabatti by adding others of other makes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean1975:
Yes, the idiot comment was unprovoked and completely uncalled for. But then again, perhaps that is the limit of his shooting capabilities and is jealous of the rest that can make shots that to him would be considered impossible... Say... 50 yards or stretch that a bit to 50 meters. I agree with Todd Williams, I should say ignore is the best option in this case. I can't even remember the screen name. I suppose not remembering someone's name is the greatest insult, especially if they are wearing a tag.

As to the other bits sent my way from you good folks, you are all right...
Mac, Any double that will regulate is a decent to very good double. If not, no matter the deal, it's no deal. I do hope my double shoots.
crawl back into your cold little swamp loser

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too! I'm rooting for you! I've always hoped that Sabatti would get their act together because a double in that price range will let a lot of young guys get into double rifles. The DRSS is growing wider every day, and a good double in a price point that lets more young guys in, is a plus for all double rifle makers customer base!

Here's hoping you get a good one, so keep us in the loop when you get it to the range!

...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great site. Really. Been reading all the posts forever now so I joined. There are some really nice people on here so I'm sorry I have to address this moron. I hope I offend only one. I think it's flush away... Or go away. Snotaway!
Snotaway, Is that your dad's Searcy? Mighty nice. Maybe you'll get it one day when he dies, less he sells it first there, boy.
Do you know anything about geography? I'm in Maine. Very few swamps here. More mountains... Those are the tall things that get covered in snow and from a distance look like breasts to adolescent boys. I'm sure you know what I mean. Oh wait! Your French Canadian! I'm so sorry! Ay? Or is that eh? Love your weird blue houses with the the purple doors. This is fun.

I have three teenage boys. Reading your posts is like listening to them tease each other. You wanna play smack the bitch here till someone gets banned From the site? I'm good for it kid if you want to f'around and get really nasty till someone cries. Or do you want to not act like a rude ass to others who were being polite to a new guy here such as myself and go and lock yourself back in your moms basement and stay there until spring? As I tell my kids, "kid... Don't be a dick".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. I'm rooting for me too! You are on africa hunting too right? If so, I always check your posts. Knowledgeable and polite. If I'm wrong then, well, I wouldn't retract a compliment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your posts here are the same from what I've read, Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a great site. Really. Been reading all the posts forever now so I joined. There are some really nice people on here so I'm sorry I have to address this moron. I hope I offend only one. I think it's flush away... Or go away. Snotaway!
Snotaway, Is that your dad's Searcy? Mighty nice. Maybe you'll get it one day when he dies, less he sells it first there, boy.
Do you know anything about geography? I'm in Maine. Very few swamps here. More mountains... Those are the tall things that get covered in snow and from a distance look like breasts to adolescent boys. I'm sure you know what I mean. Oh wait! Your French Canadian! I'm so sorry! Ay? Or is that eh? Love your weird blue houses with the the purple doors. This is fun.

I have three teenage boys. Reading your posts is like listening to them tease each other. You wanna play smack the bitch here till someone gets banned From the site? I'm good for it kid if you want to f'around and get really nasty till someone cries. Or do you want to not act like a rude ass to others who were being polite to a new guy here such as myself and go and lock yourself back in your moms basement and stay there until spring? As I tell my kids, "kid... Don't be a dick".
I am sure you tell your kids that, they must take after you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's with this guy? Snotaway. He must just poke around trying to be relevant to someone, somewhere. He pounced like he thinks he matters and people care. Insulted everyone, right off the bat.
To Todd Williams, you were right about this loser, he's like an STD. Just won't go away. Amusing though. And what's this about him shooting "Bessy" the cow?

Snotaway. Too bad your mommy went full term. I'm sure she thought so too after it was all over. Your retort was spoken like a true eight year old. But at least you kept your sentence short to avoid big complicated words. Coulda made you look... Well... Kinda stupid and not just rude. I have to say this is pointless other than to get folks on here laughing harder at you than they already do.
By the way, Is that your family dog you got there in the photo? Fido took one for the team huh. Spaniel or... Wait... Yellow lab! It's a beauty. No harts 2 in 1 collar either! You look a little sweaty in that pic... You bathe with a funnel cake?
Or perhaps that's a photo from a magazine and you posted it? Are you really 15? Your dad's gonna be mad when he finds out your posting on here. Take away your internet. No allowance for a week... Maybe two.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Does anyone know if sabatti began at any point to regulate their rifles the traditional way? No, I don't mean the barrel grinding but not using the jig? I read both that they did and that they didn't. Just curious. It is not going to influence me buying this one. Also, as far as I can tell, the engraving is definitely laser but really nicely done. Best I've seen to be fair.

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
I returned my Sabatti 45-70 after 10 rounds. At 25yds shots from left barrel crossed to the right by about 1 1/2" and low 2". I used the hornady ammo they said it was regulated with, I had a good rest, a proper hold and... No good. It bothered me to send it back. I went with a Chapuis 9.3 and I'm VERY happy. Hope your Sabatti does well for ya.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's with this guy? Snotaway. He must just poke around trying to be relevant to someone, somewhere. He pounced like he thinks he matters and people care. Insulted everyone, right off the bat.
To Todd Williams, you were right about this loser, he's like an STD. Just won't go away. Amusing though. And what's this about him shooting "Bessy" the cow?

Snotaway. Too bad your mommy went full term. I'm sure she thought so too after it was all over. Your retort was spoken like a true eight year old. But at least you kept your sentence short to avoid big complicated words. Coulda made you look... Well... Kinda stupid and not just rude. I have to say this is pointless other than to get folks on here laughing harder at you than they already do.
By the way, Is that your family dog you got there in the photo? Fido took one for the team huh. Spaniel or... Wait... Yellow lab! It's a beauty. No harts 2 in 1 collar either! You look a little sweaty in that pic... You bathe with a funnel cake?
Or perhaps that's a photo from a magazine and you posted it? Are you really 15? Your dad's gonna be mad when he finds out your posting on here. Take away your internet. No allowance for a week... Maybe two.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Does anyone know if sabatti began at any point to regulate their rifles the traditional way? No, I don't mean the barrel grinding but not using the jig? I read both that they did and that they didn't. Just curious. It is not going to influence me buying this one. Also, as far as I can tell, the engraving is definitely laser but really nicely done. Best I've seen to be fair.

I like this new guy Sean! I like him A LOT! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flgriz... Sorry you had to return the sabatti. That sucks. I looked at a chapius ugex but I'm too broke right now to buy one! And of course it was 9.3. Great round but wanted a stopping gun. Not that the 9.3 in the right right isn't a lights out deal. The chapius is a fine rifle though. Beautifully balanced in my humble opinion.

Todd, I'll tip a beer back with you sir. You did offer sound advice but it just wasn't nice. Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm not usually nasty on sites but that dudes like gonnorhea, ya know? I just don't like rude and there's no pill for this case of the clap . My dad was a marine so I grew up around drill instructors etc. and I was an officer and then a bodyguard. I'd just hate for people to think I'm a prick or something. I hope I didn't offend anyone... Else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like this site. It's very exciting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And flgriz, I do have a love of the 9.3 in the chapius, so don't rub it in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChiefR53:
Hey Sean beer

Can't imagine you offended anyone, important.
Best of luck with your Sabatti, mine(470) shooting great.
Welcome
Larry

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, thank you for the welcome. I'm glad no one was offended. Your sabatti is a keeper it sounds like. I hope I'm so lucky. I've read a million posts here before joining yesterday. You are all a great group and I've learned a lot about doubles from you all just from reading. I've been a gun nut for years but now I'm a mature one. Mellowing like single malt and getting smarter and more discerning all the while wondering how I'll pay for it all. Donations anyone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 470 Sabatti a couple months ago. It shoots great. At the moment I am having a good pad put on it and changing the brass front bead with a white one.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sean,

I bought the exact same gun for the same price and I have been satisfied. If your gun shoots then it is a keeper for sure. Chances are that it
will.

If I were you I would try to sell or trade off that Federal ammo. .470 Sabattis are regulated with Hornady DGS ammo and not the Federal.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean,

Please feel free to use any and all when replying to shotacow. He is a "grown" man however he's mentally ill and apparently his keepers allow him a long leash.

Welcome to AR a site where you need to filter the good from the bad. There is virtually no moderation of the idiots and most of the members are good people.