THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Baikal Double Gun - Warning/Fix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal Double Gun - Warning/Fix
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't seen much chatter about the Baikal double rifles since the Sabattis have hit the scene, but I know folks that have Baikals are still out there, so I will post this information.

I have had two in the shop in the last two weeks and both of them had the same basic problem. One went off when the gun was closed, the other was doubling.

The problem with both guns was that the bushings that hold the pins in place in the back of the action (yeah, they have bushed pins, but the bushings are inside the action rather than on the breech face), were loose, and when tightened, pushed the strikers (firing pins) out of the front breech face - the noses of the strikers were too long. This caused one gun to fire on closing, and the other to double.

I think the reason these guns did not initially start with the problem, is because the bushings were loose, and after repeated shooting, they started to work their way in, creating the situation described above.

The solution is quite simple, turn the bushing all the way in until it is snug. This will require a spanner screwdriver (see the photo on the bottom of page 103 of the 2nd Edition of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions") with the "flares" on the blade ground to make the blade portion more cylindrical to fit the round cut in the back of the frame. With the bushing tight (I do one side at a time), measure the amount of protrusion you have on the striker. Remove the bushing and the striker, and polish the nose of the striker, removing the same amount of material as you had protrusion plus .002"-.003". Re-install the striker, striker return spring, and bushing until the bushing is snug against the frame. Verify that the striker is no longer protruding out the front of the standing breech. If all is well, back the bushing out about 2/3rds of the way, put a drop of blue Loctite on the bushing, and reseat it. Repeat this with the other side.

This has solved problem with both guns.

Ellis

Ellis450

Posts: 45 | Location: United States | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good info, but all my Baikals have dog tooth hammers; no bushings.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dpcd, he's talking about the RIFLES, in 45/70 30-06

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39679 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ellis:

P.M. sent

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am talking about rifles as well; two 45-70s and one 9.3x74R; ones I converted from Baikal shotguns!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Good info, but all my Baikals have dog tooth hammers; no bushings.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
dpcd, he's talking about the RIFLES, in 45/70 30-06

quote:
I am talking about rifles as well; two 45-70s and one 9.3x74R; ones I converted from Baikal shotguns!

dpcd, Ellis and Jeffe are talking about factory made as rifles which have bushings, not shotguns with dog tooth hammers converted to rifles!

Ellis thanks for that info! The unmodified rifle could be a little dangerous especially to folks tend to buy Biakals being for the most part amateurs where double rifles are concerned.

................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[QUOTE]especially to folks tend to buy Biakals being for the most part amateurs where double rifles are concerned. [/color]
................................................................. coffee

Well, thats me in one!

I have mine at the smiths just now so I will print this off and take it to him to have a look at.

Btw, the reason its there is I have made up some flanged .30-06 by pushing some 7x65R brass through my .-06 dies and then trimmed to length. The smith is milling a rebate in the barrel faces to accept the flange. I'll post pics when its all done!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I knew to what he was referring. I just felt like posting a comment. Irrelevant, perhaps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the two guns that I had in the shop, had virtually identical actions, but one was 12 bore shotgun of undetermined age, and the other was a factory double rifle in 30/06.

Ellis450

Posts: 45 | Location: United States | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I knew to what he was referring. I just felt like posting a comment. Irrelevant, perhaps.

Just noticed your 28 years of service.. thank you sir!
patriot

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39679 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are welcome; it was my pleasure; and I apologize for making comments that are not germane to the discussion.