THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel 141E IT"S HEEEEEERE!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 141E IT"S HEEEEEERE!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Big Grin

It came in this evening at 2000 hours, (8:00pm),and was delivered by UPS.

I was pacing the floor all day like an expectant father waiting for the delivery.

Boy is she nice; and I am glad I ordered the colour case hardened finish.

I just love that little bit of palm swell. It makes her sit in the hand just perfect.

Now, it took me a couple of minutes to get her put together but once I did, I threw her up to the shoulder and it fit like it was made for me.

The test target looks good and I look forward to reproducing the results, when the weather warms.

The front trigger is a set trigger and both triggers are, in my opinion, acceptable.

The butt plate is plastic; which is fine because I will change it for a pachmeyer pad.

Al-in-all, I would say she is a keeper.

Now for the questions:
1. It is regulated for 50 metres. Will it still stay tight out to 100 metres and further?

2. Does anyone know where I can find a set of instructions for this rifle, in English?

3. What type of scope mount would anyone suggest for this rifle?

Well, it looks like there is going to be an Antonio Zoli double side by side rifle for sale in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
Madly off in all directions dancing

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Re the Plastic Butt Plate, i was told (when I bought my 2) that it was so the purchaser could make the LOP what they wanted when they fitted a recoil pad.

Anyway, I will let you rush around in all directions LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great!!

Now get out and shoot the pants off it..!!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention, After I finished throwing the gun to my shoulder and pulling the triggers, my wife said, "OK, hand it over; my turn to try." She smiled. I think there may be another double rifle in 6.5 caliber, for my wife.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
Madly off in all directions

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, She looks pretty.

beer

Good hunting/shooting and god's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, great looking rifle. Congratulations

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, great looking with the color case and strong straight grain wood. Will make a great working gun. Wish I could find one at that price in 8x57 JRS.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, After I finished throwing the gun to my shoulder and pulling the triggers, my wife said, "OK, hand it over; my turn to try." She smiled. I think there may be another double rifle in 6.5 caliber, for my wife.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem
Madly off in all directions

Congratulations, and welcome to the wacy world of double rifles, and especially the Merkel double rifles!
I certainly hope you were pulling those triggers on a pair of "SNAPP-CAPS"! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is that a new style action???

Confused

JW

One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
really the kick is minimal shoot it first before adding a pad

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Coyote Wacker: If you go to the Tradeex Canada website, under products, double guns, you will find an 8x57 for the same price.

MacD37: I was using a couple of fired cases that had been re-sized and spent primers re-inserted in to the flash holes. I would love to have a couple of proper snap caps but as of yet, I have been unable to find a pair.

JW: As far as I know, this action has been used by Merkel for a very long time. The documents recieved with the rifle show testing was done in 2004. The only thing that appears to be different is there is only one dovetail on the rib. Examples of other guns show two dovetails for mounting a scope.

Thanks to all of you who passed on your knowledge of this type of rifle. It allowed me to make an informed decision and I am glad I bought the rifle.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Bwananelson:

I won't be making any alterations to the rifle until I have got a few rounds through it. This is such a pretty little rifle, I would hate to change the look of it by adding anything. Of course, if she kicks like a mule, looks be damned. I will find the best recoil pad available.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coyote Wacker: If you go to the Tradeex Canada website, under products, double guns, you will find an 8x57 for the same price.

Thanks to all of you who passed on your knowledge of this type of rifle. It allowed me to make an informed decision and I am glad I bought the rifle.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

quote:
Big Grin

It came in this evening at 2000 hours, (8:00pm),and was delivered by UPS.

I was pacing the floor all day like an expectant father waiting for the delivery.

Boy is she nice; and I am glad I ordered the colour case hardened finish.

That is a very nice looking rifle, and like you I prefer the Case colored finish on a double rifle!

quote:
I just love that little bit of palm swell. It makes her sit in the hand just perfect.

Now, it took me a couple of minutes to get her put together but once I did, I threw her up to the shoulder and it fit like it was made for me.
The test target looks good and I look forward to reproducing the results, when the weather warms.

The front trigger is a set trigger and both triggers are, in my opinion, acceptable.

The butt plate is plastic; which is fine because I will change it for a pachmeyer pad.

Al-in-all, I would say she is a keeper.

The rifle is evidently made with the right LOP for you, so when you have that recoil pad installed you should maintain the same LOP, and you will certainly need the recoil pad because the Merkel 141E is extremely light, and will kick your eyes crossed without the recoil pad. I have a Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R and it weighs in at 8.3 pounds, a bit heavier than your rifle. Before I installed the Pachmeyr Decelarator it would get your attention, shooting 283 gr bullets, I assure you!

quote:

Now for the questions:
1. It is regulated for 50 metres. Will it still stay tight out to 100 metres and further?

The distance on the test target only indicates the distance use while doing the regulation by the regulator. This is only to show the spread at that distance of 1cm and only means the average distance between shot at that distance is ABOUT 1 cm in any direction from the other barrel. It doesn’t mean both barrels will hit the same hole at that distance. If it did mean that the loads would be crossing at that distance, and would shoot farther crossed down range. That is not the case however. Just like any single barreled rifle each barrel’s individual group will get wider as it goes down range, so that even though the center of each barrel’s individual group remains on it’s own side of the aiming point same of the bullets will spill over into the other barrels group. This rifle can be properly regulated to shoot the centers of each barrel’s equal distances apart with each on it’s own side of the aiming point, no matter the range. IOW shooting parallel with the aiming point in the middle of a composite group of both barrels with the only sight adjustment for elevation down range.

quote:
2. Does anyone know where I can find a set of instructions for this rifle, in English?

3. What type of scope mount would anyone suggest for this rifle?

Well, it looks like there is going to be an Antonio Zoli double side by side rifle for sale in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

Carpediem4570, Sig Sauer imports Merkel rifle into the USA, and you may call them and see if they can send you the little booklet that usually comes with the rifles, give you the address to download a manual to your computer from the internet.

quote:
MacD37: I was using a couple of fired cases that had been re-sized and spent primers re-inserted in to the flash holes. I would love to have a couple of proper snap caps but as of yet, I have been unable to find a pair.

JW: As far as I know, this action has been used by Merkel for a very long time. The documents recieved with the rifle show testing was done in 2004. The only thing that appears to be different is there is only one dovetail on the rib. Examples of other guns show two dovetails for mounting a scope.

I would be careful about snapping the rifle on spent primer more than once if at all. Having new strickers made is an expensive thing if it only damages the stricker.

On the action used for the 141E rifles, the 141 rifle is the only double rifle ever built on this action. The small s/s double rifle action before the 141 was a 20 ga size action, and the 141 action is a 28 ga size action. The action has been around for a long time but it was only used in shotguns before the 141. Most of the “off the shelf” double rifles made are at least 5 years old before they reach the hands of a customer in the USA, or just about any place outside Europe.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the instructions for regulation (but nothing else). If you will send me a p.m. with your email, I'll forward them to you.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Nicely done and welcome to the dark side.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Now for my next question; does anyone know where I can get a set of snap caps in 9.3x74R?
I am in Alberta Canada.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now for my next question; does anyone know where I can get a set of snap caps in 9.3x74R?
I am in Alberta Canada.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

Do a search on the computer for a dealer of A-ZOOM snapp caps in Canada, they are cheap and are far better than fired cases. If you find someone who stocks them in canada you can probably order them. If you weren't in Canada I would pick up a set, and mail them to you, but the customs people would probably think they are ammo and confiscate them, because the look exactly like loaded ammo and an X-ray wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you can find A-ZOOM try Galazan.com for a pair of thiers. they are quite a bit more expensive, but are quality items. Good luck!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

<generalwar>
posted
Galazan sell nice nickel snap caps for that calibre.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpediem, I have numerous sets of A-Zoom snap caps in various calibers, which I got from Epps in Ontario. They do mail order and are a reliable and reputable outfit with which to do business. Another good source would be Williams' Arms in Port Perry, Ontario...my local gunshop, very good guys.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
get the good ones from trader kieth

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle must be about the same vintage as mine. My gun has a bright frame and a recoil pad. I see that your rifle has the rear scope pad installed. The current production guns now have the front base intended for Reckhagel swing mounts already installed. You can buy the Recknagel swing mounts with the front ring included. I can't see if there is a filler in the rib where the front ring will go. My rifle had a filler in the rib and it was an easy job to tap it out and mill out the rib for the swing mount front ring. Your rifle was regulated for Norma factory ammo with 15 gram (232 grain) Vulkan bullets. I have a Norma-provided factory duplication load using Norma 203B powder and their 232 grain bullets. PM me if you'd like it and I'll dig it up. My handloads with that load shoot to the same point of impact as the factory loads. The recoil with the 232 grain bullet is stiff enough. The 286 grain bullets will knock your hat off.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for all the info on the snap caps. I will be getting a set by mail.

Vol717:
I checked my rib closely and cannot find a filler in the rib, for the front ring. I think the rear mount is designed for the Dokter Optic. I will e-mail Merkel and ask what they have the gun set-up for.

has anyone tried 250 grain bullets with this rifle?

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Best looking Merkel I've seen!

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ammoloader:

I am taking it out this weekend and trying it out with some hanloads in 232 grain vulcan bullets. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Carpediem