Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 with Swift 400gr
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I've noticed that it takes a few grains less powder to get them to the same velocity as the Hornady softs. So the swifts must be pretty hard.

They are, however, shooting very well. Here's a 4-shot group at 50.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would think that they seal better than the Hornady bullets. I usually use less powder with softer Hawk bullets.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What 400 gr. Swift? There is a 0.410 diameter, 400 gr. Swift commercially available?

And you must have eagle eyes. I can hardly believe that anyone can see well enough that one could differentiate the open sights with such precision. I want you regulating my doubles!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh come on you can do better than that!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
What 400 gr. Swift? There is a 0.410 diameter, 400 gr. Swift commercially available?

They aren't a regular production item, but they do make them from time-to-time.

quote:
And you must have eagle eyes.

My eyesight is terrible, so it must be the SECOND TRIGGER. clap

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, within the Society, he is known as "Second_Trigger_Eagle_Eyes"_new_guy! clap

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
So what is the truth here? A Ruger #1 with a 12X scope?

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, scope or not great shooting, did you slip on that scope on those nice claw mounts for the shooting. Smiler

Will, Swift has been making those bullets for some time. Call and talk with Heather and put an order in and she will call you when they run a batch.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
So what is the truth here? A Ruger #1 with a 12X scope?

The only trick was a solid rest (and a second trigger, Wink) it was honestly open sight at 50 yards, 80gr H4831 at a velocity of 2120 in 26" bbls.

The group looks good at 50, but they are actually a little too close for my likes, as they were crossing by a few inches at 100. I'll slow them down a bit and spread them out a bit at 50 to get them where I want them at 100.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
but they are actually a little too close for my likes

Yeah, normally the boys would be screaming like a scalded cat that the rights and lefts aren't exactly 1.265" apart. So the whole thing is a fluke! Smiler

Personally, I still find it hard to believe that anyone can shoot that precisely even if the rifle is capable of it. Open sights just ain't that precise, but more power to you.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Will - from the bench, it's really just a function of maintaining a consistent sight picture: good eyes are plus, but there is no real talent involved. It's all mechanical.

This was the load I worked up for the Hornady softs.

Except for my first shot, the next 5 were pretty consistent.

IMO, 2-shot groups aren’t enough to judge a load by. Four or six will tell much more accurately how consistent the load is.

Case in point, the first two shots above are crossed at 50, but the next 4 show the real potential for the load.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The magical one inch of separation. All is now right with the world and I shall sleep in total peace tonight. Bless you, my son. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 450 No2 double I have shot capebuff and eland with some 500gr Swift A Frame, and some 480 Woodleigh Soft. I have recovered all of them, 3 Swift and 2 Woodleighs, they all mushroomed perfectly, and penetrated well.

The 400gr Woodleighs I have recovered from my 450/400 have performed just like the .458 bullets. I have no doubt that the .400gr 40cal Swift would not be an excellent bullet as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh by the way Chris, I forgot to add to my last post, it looks like you need to move your rear site a little to the right, or the sun was to your left side thus lighting up your site more on the left side. Smiler

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote