THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First glimpse of the new VC 500NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First glimpse of the new VC 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Ken from Kebco sent pictures of my new VC 500NE Round Body PH yesterday. I haven't taken delivery just yet, but it is finally stateside. Thanks Ken and Jerome for building a fine looking rifle for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice,especially the wood.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
congratulations on a Gret rifle! Would love to see more photos.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Want! Good looking weapon!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice...and I'm very jealous Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice, nice, nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, congrats on what I believe is a gorgeous double.

I had my identical .500 delivered before x-mas and due to other commitments have not been able to fire it until recently.

They are extremely well made, balance perfectly and shoot as well as you'd expect of a firearm of this standard.
The neat little roundbody sits well in the hands and "travels" lightly.

I'm just not game enough to remove the lead weights in the butt stock to reduce the weight even further as it just shoots too well.

Now the trick will be to get it to regulate with the 475gn non-cons !
That is my mission over the next few weeks.

Again congrats on your new purchase, hope you get half as much fun from yours as i am out of mine.

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the case colored metal, the darker wood, and the short, classy pad. Makes it sort of look old school.
Well doneSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's a very good looking set up! Give a good wring out and let us know how it does!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a gorgeous rifle, I like the contrast of the case coloring. On the left side of the receiver where the metal meets the wood, the way the color of the metal extends into the wood is also a very nice touch. I like the wood very much.

Enjoy it with the best of health.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, nice piece, for sure! I like the round-body action. Hey, it has 2 barrels !!!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking toy. Very nice!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful dark sultry lady,just gorgeous!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very very sexy little friend you've got there!!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's just GRAND Todd! VERY tastefully done and yes kudos to Jerome and Ken!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

My thoughts exactly!

It's an interesting process having a gun built to your specs. First time for me. You give them basic ideas and the craftsmen run with it, all the while hoping it will turn out the way you had envisioned it. 13 months after placing the order, I can say that Verny-Carron exceeded my expectations.

This is the list of modifications to the basic PH model I gave them:

Splinter fore-end
Enhanced engraving
Gold makers name and "SAFE"
Gold Oval with initials
Shadow line cheek piece
Leather recoil pad
Articulated front trigger
CCH

Other than those items, Jerome had complete control on how it should be. I like the dark and smokey look.

Buzz and I will break it in proper later this year with an ele bull.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Articulated front trigger, when you say this, what are you referring to? In the precision world, I understand, but what do you mean in the Double gun world?

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

My thoughts exactly!

It's an interesting process having a gun built to your specs. First time for me. You give them basic ideas and the craftsmen run with it, all the while hoping it will turn out the way you had envisioned it. 13 months after placing the order, I can say that Verny-Carron exceeded my expectations.

This is the list of modifications to the basic PH model I gave them:

Splinter fore-end
Enhanced engraving
Gold makers name and "SAFE"
Gold Oval with initials
Shadow line cheek piece
Leather recoil pad
Articulated front trigger
CCH

Other than those items, Jerome had complete control on how it should be. I like the dark and smoky look.

Buzz and I will break it in proper later this year with an ele bull.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
What swayed you to go with the articulated trigger?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
AKman,

The articulated front trigger has some forward movement to it. On occasion, when firing the rear trigger, usually due to too short a LOP, but also sometimes if the weapon is held incorrectly or at an odd angle, when firing the rear trigger, recoil will cause the back of the front trigger to contact the trigger finger (sorry for the repetitive nature of that sentence). With an articulated front trigger, it will give a bit instead of cutting into the finger.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Todd,
What swayed you to go with the articulated trigger?

Well, it's an easy feature to add being built from scratch.

But what really caused me to ask for it was that my Merkel 500NE used to eat the middle knuckle on my trigger finger. It continued to do that even after I had the LOP extended to 15.5. Not as much as before but again, every once in awhile, I would hold the gun wrong or at an odd angle and it would bite pretty hard. The last time it did it was putting in an insurance shot on an ele cow. She was laying in a depression causing an extreme downhill angle. The rifle got up under my armpit when I shouldered it and fired. Man, I thought it had stopped my heart for a second or two!! From now on, with an angle like that, I'll just bend at the waist!! But it cut my finger again, and it had the AT feature. If that gun had a fixed front trigger, I'm sure it would have broken the finger a time or two. Lionhunter has it now. I haven't heard if he's had the same experience with it or not to date.

So it just seemed to be an easy option that I've appreciated having in the past. Could very well be that I'll never need it with the stock being built to my measurements, but I thought it more of an insurance policy of sorts.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love it Todd!

Classy, sexy and deadly - the perfect hunting companion.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty gun Todd.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pretty rifle . . . pity the barrels are so short though. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Pretty rifle . . . pity the barrels are so short though. Big Grin

There's one in every crowd! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, congratulations!

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very nice!! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful double Todd, can't wait to see the next round of trophy pics with it!

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Todd... I know it will perform as well in the field as it looks in the rack!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle in a super DG caliber.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
They don't get any better!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Todd. I especially like the engraving style, the V on the belly left un-engraved is a great touch. The gold banner is very tastefully done congratulations. Be sure to post some picks of the splinter, haven’t seen one on a VC round body yet.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Todd-

Congrats on a beautiful piece! Jerome did good by you. I love the case coloring and dark wood. This really makes it tough for me to continue to refuse to have VC build one for me. BTW, I'd very likely add the exact options you did and in the same caliber, and we are the same LOP. Maybe that is my rifle?

As to my trigger finger relative to your/my Merkel, no problem whatsoever. A relaxed grip after 16 rounds did earn me a badly bruised social finger when the rear trigger guard whacked me for getting sloppy. hilbily

Has the .577 sold?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Todd-

Congrats on a beautiful piece! Jerome did good by you. I love the case coloring and dark wood. This really makes it tough for me to continue to refuse to have VC build one for me. BTW, I'd very likely add the exact options you did and in the same caliber, and we are the same LOP. Maybe that is my rifle?

As to my trigger finger relative to your/my Merkel, no problem whatsoever. A relaxed grip after 16 rounds did earn me a badly bruised social finger when the rear trigger guard whacked me for getting sloppy. hilbily

Has the .577 sold?

Hasn't sold yet Mike. Do you need a 577NE to go with the Merkel? I think so!! Smiler Then you'll have a light and heavy double!! Actually, I have a couple of leads on it. I hate to sell it but this 500NE is going to be my go to gun from now on.

About the options, I have to give a nod to Admiral Dave - Subsailor74 as these are the same specs he has used several times now. His Searcy with those options just seemed to go together very well. In fact, the day I ordered this gun at SCI Vegas last year, I walked into the building not knowing if I was going with Searcy or VC. Went back and forth between the booths several times. What finally made the difference for me was the way the round body felt in the hand. They are both great DR builders but with quite different styles. Not to slight Butch in any way shape or form, but I am very happy with the way this rifle turned out from VC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics of a beautiful double! The pics of it will look even better next to a big ele bull in December this year Todd!!!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
A very classic and classy looking double from the Vc boys once again.I am sure it will do just fine on the big tuskers later in the year!
I ordered a 600 ne with them at the show, matching my 500 ne they did for me in 2011.
Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Great pics of a beautiful double! The pics of it will look even better next to a big ele bull in December this year Todd!!!!!

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Todd,
A very classic and classy looking double from the Vc boys once again.I am sure it will do just fine on the big tuskers later in the year!
I ordered a 600 ne with them at the show, matching my 500 ne they did for me in 2011.
Cheers

Nick

600NE for ele's and the 500NE for Duikers and such, eh Nick? I think you've got em covered with those two!!

When do you expect the 600 to arrive?

Cheers mate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, enjoy!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
VERY sharp gun Todd!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd you picked a winner there! That rifle has four of the things that makes it a rifle I'd love to own. First it has two barrels, and then there is the case colors, then the chambering, and lastly the wood!

Very very nice! Congratulations beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote