THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Is it worth it for a day ...?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth it for a day ...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Struggling to try to get coverage for a single day at DSC - either Friday morning to Saturday morning or Saturday to Sunday morning.

Flights from Newark to Houston are now about $400 ...
Would have to get a hotel room for one night or the other ...
Do I register for a banquet or not?

If I went it would be a whirlwind of visiting friends - gotta see Jerome, Guillaume and Ken Buch at Verney-Carron and Kebco, Aaron Neilson, Buzz (must get his latest DVD), Bitterroot at AHR, and too many others to list that I can't think of at the moment.

So figure $1,000 at the end of the day that could otherwise be used towards the next double ...

What would you do ...???

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, If the flights would allow for a full day, it might be worth it. $1,000 towards a DR isn't a big difference, and the DSC is where you'd get to meet and talk, rather than read and post.

PS: Wayne is doing SCI this year instead of the DSC.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to see you at the show but that is a lot of running for a single day regardless of the cost. I personally think you would want two days min. If Jan does not work how about SCI a month latter?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Feb is just as bad if not worse - biggest international meeting in my field that month and I have to be there.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I can take a picture of Ken while I'm there and email it to you, but I don't really know why anyone would want one (!). He is right, though....it would be a rush to get it all in within the span of a day.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Doc, I can take a picture of Ken while I'm there and email it to you, but I don't really know why anyone would want one (!). He is right, though....it would be a rush to get it all in within the span of a day.

Eeker

Uhhhh ...

No thank you ...

No offense Ken ...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

Eeker

Uhhhh ...

No thank you ...

No offense Ken ...

........................................ yuck

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were to attend, you would be able to see and handle and appreciate firearms that I will never see... not ever.

Yes, you should go. The clock is always ticking.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI is third week of January, if that helps. It might be your only chance to meet me in person, something to tell your grandchildren about...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What am I missing, SCI is the first weekend in February?

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you do ...???

Paul,

I'm in sort of the same dilemma for TWO days. There is a lot to see and do. Trying to cram it all into a single day would be sort of a kill joy for me personally. I want to be able to see everything, spend enough time at each booth to appreciate what is there, and have time to talk to people along the way and revisit the booths that tempt me the most with hunts, rifles, etc.

Unless money is really tight, I would take the ~$1K in travel expenses out of the equation. In that one day off that is so hard to get, you could spend it with your family or shoot those hard charging animal crackers . It would be nice to see all your on-line friends, talk to the vendors, and see what they have for sale but, the whirlwind might not be the best experience.

Best Regards,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Mike you are correct, SCI is the first week of Jan

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

?????

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Ken was having a brain cramp. SCI is the first week of February. I think he's been chasing too many ditch parrots today. The after hunt shucked oysters got to him. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've flown to Dallas, taken a taxi to the show, stayed the day, taxi back to the airport, overnight at airport, and flown home the next morning on two occasions. Always worked well for me and I spent about $300 on airfare, $100 on hotel, $100 on taxis, and $100 on misc. Not a bad deal.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dallas Safari Show is really good. you should try to do at least 2 days. It is well worth it.

If you do go, be sure and come by the Heym booth, introduce yourself and look me up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The Dallas Safari Show is really good. you should try to do at least 2 days. It is well worth it.

If you do go, be sure and come by the Heym booth, introduce yourself and look me up.

If I do make it I'll certainly stop by. Might you have a Jumbo for me to fondle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

?????

Should not post when tired, first week of FEB

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:
What would you do ...???

In that one day off that is so hard to get, you could spend it with your family or shoot those hard charging animal crackers . It would be nice to see all your on-line friends, talk to the vendors, and see what they have for sale but, the whirlwind might not be the best experience.

Best Regards,
Sid

That's great advice Sid, thank you.

Paul

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Doc, I would very much like to meet you in person. beer That being said, if I were you, no way I would do it for one day. Frowner Not about the money, just about the running and gunning. As our mutual buddy Ken would say "the juice ain't worth the squeeze". Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And missing a chance to meet the inimititable Don Soter? Isn't that alone worth chartering a jet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs
You take a picture with what????
Where is the camera you found in Colorado.
You take pictures like you using a cell phone.
He keeps it off in his pocket or most of the time leaves it in the hotel room.
See ya all in Dallas
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'd hope you'd be flying in to Dallas instead of Houston????

quote:
Flights from Newark to Houston are now about $400 ...
Would have to get a hotel room for one night or the other ...

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
shocker Cool

Yep it is my medical conference in February that is in Houston and is already booked. Must have been why Houston was on my mind as I typed that.

I did look at flights for DSC from Newark to Dallas and those were the prices from here to there ...

Still trying to decide if to go and if so, whether to be there over Friday night or Saturday night ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents. If you can only do one day I would make it Sat. You can come to the get together at Comfort in it will be more relaxed and less hectic.
Looking forward to seeing you.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
So Doc, coming to Dallas???

If so, I'll be there All day Thursday and Friday. beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warning! :-)

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hi Don,

Believe it or not, I still haven't decided - mainly because it depends upon an associate's ability to cover.

Still hoping but probably wont know until tomorrow night.

Hope to see you there if I make it beer

Paul

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Shhhhhhh, don't tell him. Everybody agreed to tell him it was the third week. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:
What would you do ...???

Paul,

In that one day off that is so hard to get, you could spend it with your family or shoot those hard charging animal crackers .
Best Regards,
Sid

Well,

I didn't make it to DSC as my friends here already know. Yes I am disappointed - it would have been great to see all of you and to check out the safari as well as gun-builder's booths(particularly Verney-Carron, Heym and Searcy) but I did accomplish a lot of non-double stuff.

I took down our outdoor Christmas decorations on Saturday (my family refers to me as "Griswold" as in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation)

and
I took Sid's advice above - using dangerous Oranges instead of charging animal crackers on Sunday ...

.22LR vs. Dangerous Orange ...

.224 WBY vs. Deadly ORange Attack

next year I will bring both daughter and dad to DSC and plan to stay a few days to truly enjoy it.