THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Extra set of Shotgun barrels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extra set of Shotgun barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you have a Merkel 140 in 470 NE, can you order shotgun barrels (20 guage or 12 guage) for it as well?

Do you have to send the action in to the factory to have it done.

Can they add ejectors to the shotgun barrels?

Don't have a Merkel, but I am considering one and would like to have shotgun barrels that I could use to help get used to the gun (i.e., using 2 triggers).

Thanks!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Merkel can supply 20g barrels for the 140, 140A, 160 and 160A double rifles. They do not do 12g. The 20g barrels need to be fitted to your action and so the gun would have to go back to Merkel - accordingly, it is best to order the gun with the 20g barrels up front.

I am not sure about mixing ejectors and extractors but, as most of the mechanism is attached to the barrel, it may be possible. You would be best to ask Merkel this question.

In fact you now have me wondering about this, too. I have just ordered a 140 in 9.3x74R with additional barrels in 20g and had just assumed that it would be extractor, like the rifle barrels. So I am going to ask Merkel if it is possible.

Your comment about using the shotgun barrels to get used to the two triggers is only half the story of the usefulness of having additional shotgun barrels for your double. In Africa, the natural place to take and use a double rifle, there is lots and lots of great bird shooting. Having a shotgun/shotgun barrels along opens up any safari to a lot more great hunting!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote