Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser S/S ???
 Login/Join

posted
What do you know about the Blaser S/S. I have been looking at one in 9.3X74 R. The dealer says he can regulate it with factory ammo to shoot 2-3 inches at 100 yrds. It is a nice looking rifle and fits me good but it sure looks different when you open it. The cost new is about $5500.

Posts: 18 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 27 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Good buy on a fine gun. They look different but they shoot very well. I have shot the S2 and have nothing but good things to say. It is accurate, and handles well. The sights come right up when you throw the gun up. The only thing I do not like about it is the cock feature, it must be recocked after you break it open everytime (wish it was more like the Kreighoff big five).

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chapuis in 9.3 is a much better gun for less money.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
I do not like about it is the cock feature, it must be recocked after you break it open everytime (wish it was more like the Kreighoff big five).

505ED

IMO, Blaser f-up on this feature thumbdown

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not a rifle for dangerous game.

The Krieghoff does require initial cocking before firing, but for additional shots after reloads it remains cocked. The Blaser requires recocking every time.

Some novel features (like free floating barrels), but design seems to be driven by accountants.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse

This was discussed ad infinitum on the
quote:
Best double at $15k or less
thread.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what? exactly is a dangerous game rifle!

Can someone tell me what the best "Dangerous Game Rifle" is at any price? We can go from there based on the points of engineering and function.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for a top flight dangerous game rifle i doubt you can do much better than a holland or a westley in 577.
you could pay more for another big name but it won't shoot any better.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what? exactly is a dangerous game rifle!

Seems like a strange comment coming from someone gearing up to make 2 bore rifles. Are you serious?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serious about making a rhetorical statement. Seems a lot of guys have very strong opinions about the viability of platform X vs. brand Y etc. Trouble is most of them don't understand the fundamentals of design and engineering underlying the devices. Contributions are opinion based and not substantial. Like hanging out in a side street pub instead of a laboratory.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Macifej,

Your right most are just opinions! There are some things I like and other things with the S2 I could do without, but without a doubt it is a fine rifle that functions the way it was engineered.

505ED

DRSS Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a couple of Blaser S2 doubles, a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. Both were very accurate.

I have a D99 Duo in 9,3x74RX9,3x74RX20ga.
I like it very well. So far I have killed 2 pigs, a deer, 2 turkeys, a duck and a squirrel.

It needs to be recocked after opening just like the S2.

So far it has not been a problem.

You just need to be familar with how your gun operates.

This D 99 Duo will be my favorite Idaho black bear, elk, and grouse gun. Big Grin

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:

On these pages it's about 80% bullshit and 20% reality.

Nothing wrong with a 9.3x74R double. Not going to be the stopper that a 500 NE or bigger type rifle will be, but your going to have a professional hunter or guide with you. No guide or PH worth his salt does very well when clients get eaten or stomped.

Most bear guides use a bolt action in 416, 375, or 458, most African guides use a bolt action in the same calibers. A few really rifle affectionados will have a double rifle in a big caliber.

In Kamchatka is probably going to be a semi-auto 7.62x54 or 9.3x64.

Show up with a rifle you can perform with, not a show piece you have never shot.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:

On these pages it's about 80% bullshit and 20% reality. No guide or PH worth his salt does very well when clients get eaten or stomped.

You would be extremely surprised how many clients and PHs get stomped on DG hunts.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99-the discussion was not related to the caliber but the rifle. The 9.3 is a damn fine caliber.

I don't know how you can gauge 80% of the comments here being BS. Granted, there is a fair share of that, but most who post on this forum have been hunting and shooting for many years. I would venture to say the average from the regular participants is 40 years or so, with some upwards of 60 years.

I noticed from the web site you reference that you deal in Blasers, and it was no one's intention to offend you. But, since you have an interest in Blaser rifles, it seems a little disingenous to make a claim that the vast majority of what is said here is BS where you appear to have a vested interest in the product being criticized.

As for other comments regarding the discussion design and engineering, since most of us are not engineers, I don't know where that is going to go. But virtually all of us are experienced shooters and hunters, and can form a valid opinion on the end use of the item. The bolt action double is an "engineering marvel", but not much of a practical tool in the field.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The rifle in question is a break action double(S2) not a bolt double. Also I know 450 No2 and he is not a dealer of Blaser's he just like to shoot them. That is his opinion. Wink

505ED

DRSS Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I am well aware that an S2 is not a bolt rifle. I was using that as an example of engineering versus practicality.

I also know Tony, and he does like Blasers. He even had the gall to bring one to a DRSS shoot! Unfortunately, the tar and feathers did not arrive in time. Maybe one of these days we'll find a rifle he does NOT like. Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Den Teufel erblicken!!

Isn't Manion a FRENCH name!!!?

That's it!! He's French and likes to "parler la merde" all things German! HA!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not want to get involved in a Hatfield and McCoy fued here...

And I learned a long time ago that you never critize a mans wife, his dog, his pickup, OR his gun...

Those that know me know that I like British Double rifles... and that I think the Chapuis in 9,3x74R is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet...

Also I can say that every Blaser product that I have shot has been very accurate and worked 100%.

The S2 double is new Tutonic technology.

That will offend some purists...
However they do work and they do shoot good.

I like my D 99 Duo so well that I have ordered a second in 308x308x20ga. Eeker Big Grin

I would rather hunt DG with a Blaser S2 double, than any bolt rifle...

The only bolt rifle I would trust to hunt DG with is the Blaser R 93.
In fact I carried my R 93 on my recent Grizzly Bear hunt in AK. [Some people consider the Grizzly DG Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now why does everyone have to go and pick on Bears!!?? Can't we just leave the little bears alone to eat their Berries, Salmon, Moose, and the occassional Granola eating Birkenstocker?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn't Manion a FRENCH name!!!?

That's it!! He's French and likes to "parler la merde" all things German! HA!

MagicChef

Hate to burst your bubble, but it is not a French name. And to further rain on your parade, I shoot a Heym double rifle and own more than a few German bolt rifles.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Minion

Old Mauser clunkers don't count!

Which Heym double........El Jumbo es muy Bueno!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
horse

Can someone tell me what the best "Dangerous Game Rifle" is at any price? We can go from there based on the points of engineering and function.

quote:
Serious about making a rhetorical statement. Seems a lot of guys have very strong opinions about the viability of platform X vs. brand Y etc. Trouble is most of them don't understand the fundamentals of design and engineering underlying the devices. Contributions are opinion based and not substantial. Like hanging out in a side street pub instead of a laboratory.

quote:

quote:
Now why does everyone have to go and pick on Bears!!?? Can't we just leave the little bears alone to eat their Berries, Salmon, Moose, and the occassional Granola eating Birkenstocker?

quote:
Mr. Minion

Old Mauser clunkers don't count!

Which Heym double........El Jumbo es muy Bueno!

jumping jumping jumping

Sounds like someone here is looking for a fight!............. stir hammering

Dig in folks there's gonna be a storm round here!diggin jumping

Macifej, all things are engineered,and some work as designed, but do not work so well for the purpose intended, unless the purpose is to make the maker more money, and some don't work at all.

The problem with engineers is, they don't always know anything about the purpose something is to be used for, and because the thing works machaniclly, some are down right dangerous to the person who is to use it.

This is the case with DGRs that are poorly designed for the purpose. The next problem is that most engineers are a little elitest, in nature,and because of that, are quite reluctant to believe the people who are in the business of useing these things in the field. Because it is engineered so that it is strong, and manufacturing costs are held down, so price can ge held lower to the customer, is not a guarintee that he will get what the piece is supposed to be so great for! Most things engineers design, have to be fixed by machanics in the field, and some times they are so mal designed that they must not be used for the purpose they were made for, if they can be used at all.

SO! I guess what I'm saying is,because it looks good on paper,to an engineer, or in the adds,to a customer, doesn't guarintee it is as it is represented! Because the piece is sound from an engineering standpoint, doesn't mean anything to a mad Cape Buffalo, or a brown bear, when the guy gets excited, and forgets to recock after fireing on the animal, and failing to stop him!! Eeker In the case of the Blazer double rifles, it makes far better sense, from a user point of view, that since the rifle has to be opened to reload, it stands to reason it would be better for the rifle to simply re-cock it's self by that action. The uncocking of the loaded rifle is good, but the manual recocking feature is pure crap. You have the same system with the Krieghoff, but it re-cocks it's self! IMO, (THERE we go with the OPINION) the Krieghoff is a 100% better, and safer system. While we're on the isuance of opinion, let me say every post you have posted here is YOUR opinion, and no more based on fact than anyone else's! You know, like certain bodily openings, everybody has one, and none are perfect for everything! Some, not even for their intennded purpose! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! That was painful!!!

Please use spell/grammer check next time! hillbilly

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please use spell/grammer check next time! hillbilly

There comes that elitist attitude again! I would use the spell/grammar check if I had one!
Anyone, here, can tell you, I can't spell worth crap. The spelling didn't hinder you getting my meaning, did it? Big Grin

What is this hillbilly(Hillbilly) crap about?

This post was simply to point out that the collective "WE" are not the only ones posting things based on opinion, no matter how well backed. beer

Jim Manion,I think Macifej, is simply pulling our collective legs. Whot y'all thank?
jumping

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now MacBeth!!!

Don't get all steamed up.

Put some more coal in your computer and follow along.

START - ALL PROGRAMS - MICROSOFT OFFICE - MICROSOFT WORD. Control C your diatribe into the new Word Document and then Control V the verbosity. At the top of the application there is a little button that says TOOLS. Click on that and you can figure out the rest. When your done, reverse the process into you AR reply. We'll all thank you for it.

But Seriously Mac!

You just don't like the cock on close feature which is what Jim said which is what some other guys said last week in another tedious thread. It's OK I respect your opinion from a users standpoint. I just don't like the old blacksmith crap that some of you guys worship. It's crap and I won't own it or use it. Anyone who's susceptible to excitement or incompetent enough to forget to cock his rifle on reload is not someone I want to shoot with. (Clearly someone who hasn't used his own rifle enough)I think another guy was inferring the same thing.

Anyway I'm sending you a box of Texas Style biscuuits to show were still friends! Hope you like this brand.

Cheers!

Macifej,

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now MacBeth!!!

Don't get all steamed up.

Anyway I'm sending you a box of Texas Style biscuuits to show were still friends! Hope you like this brand.

Cheers!

Macifej,

jumping jumping jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim Manion,I think Macifej, is simply pulling our collective legs. Whot y'all thank?

I think you're right. We gotta get him to a DRSS shoot here in Texas...and give him a fair head start Big Grin

Poor guy's an engineer; and he's from California. We need to cut him some slack - he rides the hunters short bus. Wink

PS - gotta get me some of them biscuits tomorrow.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Manion has a very nice Hyem 470, I have shot it.

I also have a 9,3x74R Chapuis, it is an excellent hunting double, and I recommend it highly.

Still... If a person gets a Blaser S-2, practices with it, as they should with any double, it will serve them well.

I do think they may be the strongest double made.

I do wist they, and my D99 Duo stayed cocked like the Krieghoff, but with practice it is not a problem.

Think of the Blaser S-2 as a "Hammer Gun" that cocks both hammers with the push of a single lever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True!! I ride in style in the yellow limo!!

FYI - You BBQ eatin' Bubbas!!!

I was Born in WEST Texas and I'm only in The Peoples Republic of Kalifornistan because my obstinate European wife and I have too many business interests here otherwise I might be livin' right up in yo hood! Shootin' my 2-Bore in the yard on Saturday night after a few swigs-o-RatzePutz and that diet crap ya'll call beer!!

P.S. I bet I can shoot three rounds out of my new style action 2-Bore faster than you can from your various Double Barreled Bubba Specials!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course!!! I only need ONE round to stop and filet the charging Mbogo! (If he gets too close he's gets cooked at the same time).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S. I bet I can shoot three rounds out of my new style action 2-Bore faster than you can from your various Double Barreled Bubba Specials!!!!

With a 2 bore, one shot probably seems like 3 shots! Betcha that's what the RatzePutz is for - medicinal purposes.

Is there a picture of this widow maker anywhere?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not ready for prime time yet Sir Jim!

Wouldn't want you guys to see the lady without her makeup.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an S2 in 9.3x74 and I really like it. The automatic decocking is not a big deal for me (I do a lot of hunting with an OU shotgun with an automatic safety), and it is very accurate. The rifle just seems to fit me like a glove.

Proud DRSS member

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to shoot, the same day, a friend's heym and blaser...

the blaser is COMPLICATED with too many moving pieces...

yeah, sure, I've only thrown a couple metric tons of shotshells into sxs scatterguns, and quite a few less in rifles..

IMHO, the S2 is a pretty deer rifle, even in 470, but is overly complicated, is not user-simple, and get this, CAN HAVE A LOADING FAILURE DUE TO THE SLIDING BLOCK

BTW, as far as I know, I am the only Bubba shooting a Bubba made double rifle round here
LOL hillbilly

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not ready for prime time yet Sir Jim!

Wouldn't want you guys to see the lady without her makeup.

Must be tough finding a good blacksmith in California these days to work on things like this Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes! Even the 5 Axis Blacksmith isn't always available. The guys from the big five sided building are keeping everyone busy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you guys smell that?

Sniff, sniff.

Smells kind of like troll crap. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
The Chapuis in 9.3 is a much better gun for less money.

If I was going to pop for a 9,3 double, I guess I would go for the Blaser. The Chapuis is indeed a fine rifle but the Blaser action is a lot stronger and they are reputed to be a lot more accurate. In addition, the guys at Heritage Arms will regulate it for you with your own ammo and I think that is a huge plus. Some guys are put off by the looks of the Blaser double but I like them, especially the 9,3 and they usually have really nice wood. Just my two cents.

Dave
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
...........KISS! (Keep It Simple Stupid) Blaser ain't it! Besides, life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle!

Crunch, crunch, crunch,CRUNCH!

Damn, these bisquits are makeing me want to move out West with the rest of the CALIFORNACATORS! Big Grin banana

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith