THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hornady 400 grain XTP in the 470
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 400 grain XTP in the 470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Haa any one tried this bullet for a reduced load in the 470 Nitro? Please share your load if so.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 Hornady HP Acc5744 56.6 bell 215 """" not good

There is my notes, have not done any more work with it. As I recall regulation was poor, however, I think one barrel was on to the sights if I remember correctly.

Of coarse, use at you own risk. Shot in a John Wilkes.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I struggled with this bullet being a diameter of .475" and not .474". Result was crimped necks on the thin walls of a 470. Plus, had trouble closing the loaded rounds in my Chapuis double.

Finally resorted to using Hawk bullets, and they made up a batch of .474 bullets for me, very reasonably. I think they're 350 grains, .025 jacket thickness, flat point. Those have worked like a champ, and for practice I genuinely liked shooting those better than the full loads. BOOM

But if you're not having problems with trying to seat the Hornady pistol bullet diameters, so much the better.

For what it's worth, I ended up with 73 grains of IMR 3031, with 5 grains of polyester fiber as an overpowder filler. NOTE - THIS LOAD IS FOR THE 350 GRAIN HAWK, AND ONLY FOR MY RIFLE.

I think you're on the right trail in trying to find a plinking load. Easier on both you and the rather valuable rifle.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try the speer golddot 400gr ...

tough as boiled leather,

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote