THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Were or how to start with regulation (NO OPINION?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Were or how to start with regulation (NO OPINION?)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well since I had a EAA shotgun gathering dust and got a deal on 45-70 insert barrels I now have a poor boys double rifle.

Thanks to Nitro450 I have a couple loads that worked in his rifle.

This is my first playing with a DR (such as it is) so since regulation for the most part is a total unknown how would a newbie start. My 40 years of reloading single barrels isn't going to help me much except I do know how to load a case. Big Grin

Help Confused

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
To begin with, it isn't about how fast your drive the bullets. It is about regulation. A chronograph is a must when trying to regulate a double. And a lot of patience. I presume these inserts have some kind of adjustment to them?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I presume these inserts have some kind of adjustment to them?

Rusty what the inserts have are a set of two different non-concentric bushing. Only difference between the bushing is the amount of offset. Have a Chrono so that isn't an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I used lazer boresighters to get the barrels aimed about 2" low and 2" left and right respectively at 25 yards. I used a vice to do this, turning and tighting the bushings as appropriate.

Not having Rusty's understanding of how the barrels "work" and how the gun recoils with a torqueing motion, at first, I had the lazers meeting at 50 yards. I yet have found where bullets so shot went. I think the right killed a cow in Kansas and the left a guy in Taiwan.

That first try being a disaster, I've forgotten who gave me the suggestion of where to "aim" the lazers (each barrel low and off set, but it worked. Well, kinda.

I had some 350 lead cast bullets that trundled along about 1250 f.p.s. and found, amazingly, first try, that they made a 3.5" circle at 50 yards, pretty much with the right elevation and windage.

The sights were so bad that I couldn't tell if the group size was because of my poor shooting, the 8 lb. triggers or the crude bead and rear leaf. The bullets sometimes crossed, but that may have been because I let the barrels get too hot.... and they will get hot!

I traded it, not because it wasn't a adequate hog gun in the bushes, but because a guy was convinced he could get better performance with hotter loads and better sights (and I only had $450 in the whole thing)... and he had a model 94 trapper I wanted. What his efforts yielded, I don't know.

I eventually bought another insert set and another Baikal double, but never tried to regulate it, selling it to someone here after installing the inserts.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
(and I only had $450 in the whole thing)...

That is almost twice what I'll have in this one. SmilerI had picked up the shotgun at a show for $100 because the end of the stock had a huge chip missing. My wife was 5'4" so I cut the chip off. I picked up a new stock for the rifle experiment for $49 online and a member here had a used set of inserts he was willing to part with. Then he also sold me a bunch of reloading material.

Back to the topic. H ad thought of doing a boresighting like you talked about using the bushing to try and set the barrels each a little low and to their respective sides. Then Use somethng like a 350 cast and increase the load until I got a decent group.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Man I find it hard to believe there are no opinions. shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
just grip it and rip it!!!!.....all kidding aside, without knowing where it DOES hit, it would be hard to offer constructive advise... that being said, there have been times when i used a boresight and still missed paper....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jim
I'm not looking for advice on how to work out the last couple inches. But where to start.

My thoughts since they are inserts I had thought to start like Judge had. Bore sight the barrels to be low and to their own side of zero.

Then start with???? I had thought a middle of the road load with some 350gr cast. Something in the 16-18,000 psi range.

Then work the inserts to get them closer. Finally start working with the load.

Is this left field? Is there a better way to start?? I'm at the bottom of a learning curve.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
As jimatcat said - grab some and fire away - ~20yds would be my start and see what happens...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
sounds like a plan to me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote