THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Loads for my Merkel 470NE?????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for my Merkel 470NE?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to work up a load for my new Merkel 470 Nitro Express using Woodleigh 500 grain Softs & Solids.

I have Norma Brass and CCI primers. What would be the best powder to use? Anyone with a Merkel have any luck with these bullets? Also, any chronographed velocities with the loads would be of great help as well.

Thanks guys!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shumba,
I use 103.5grns of the Australian ADI AR2209 powder with Norma Brass, Fed 215 primers and Woodleigh bullets for 2140fps.
My friend uses the same but with only 102grns of AR2209.
These Aus powders are good for minimal change in hot tempreture and would be sold in the US under a diferent name. HODJON POWDER?
H414/ H4350 = AR2209? This must be confirmed.

Hope this might help,
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I used and test the following in my Merkel 470NE. However, you should be able to do a search in this or the big bore forums and pull up more detail on this load and others. RIP refers to these loads as the George Hoffman memorial loads using H-4831sc....works well in most DRs.

1) Norma brass trimmed, length not handy.
2) Federal 215 Match grade primers
3) H-4831sc, starting load try 108 grains, my max and favorite load is 110grains of H-4831sc. Should give you a nominal 2100 fps with the Woodleigh 500 grain Softs, never gave the Woodleigh Solids a try...I like the North Fork Solids and Cup Points.
4) Seated and crimped at the crimp groove. Seat and crimp North Forks at the last groove, furthest in...

Velocity with the North Forks and 110 grains of H-4831sc was a nomial 2160fps. Loads chronographed at 85+degrees F. The Woodleigh Soft and the North Forks Cups shot very close to the same POI and righ on at 50 yds.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use 89 grs of Reloder 15 with Federal 215 primers in Bell cases with 500 gr Woodleigh solids. I use 6grs of Dacron filler. Ignition has been excellant and shoots to same point factory Federal do although my Merkel was regulated with Trophy Bonded according to test target. I pulled the bullets on 3 factory rounds and weighed charges and all 3 charges weighed 92.7 grs of what looked and measured the same as RL-15. Only drawback is the disconcerting dacron as it floats out of the barrel and down range. Loads were worked up using data from Ross Seyfried article in Dec/Jan 2000 issue of Handloader #202. Incidentally it's a very good article on loading for Doubles and other Cordite cartridges.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shumba:

I also have a Merkel 470. My load for the Woodleigh soft is 90 gr of RL 15 with a Kynoch foam wad. Chrono'd velocity is 2140 fps. I also use the 500 NF cups with 89 gr and the filler for 2200 fps. Both loads regulate together. I actually just fired a 6 shot group at 60 yards...3 shots of each load...mixed barrels..that measured 2.75" wide x 1.5" vert...centered 2" about the aim point. I thought that was real good for a gun that kicks like a mule! I shot from the bench with rifle supported in both hands with elbows on pads.
Good luck.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...oops, sorry...Norma brass, Federal magnum primers and I use a slight crimp. The cases actually measure about 3.238" after sizing (new) so all I do is size and deburr.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do not want to use a wad for your loads (although R-15 is an excellent powder for the 470), for starters IMR 4831 105 grains or IMR 4350 98 grains until you get your desired velocity. These loads should give you 2100 to 2150 fps. I would also use the F-215 primers over the CCI ones.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a merkel also, it shoots great. I was loading 108 h4831 then I tried 89 RX15 wiht dacron. The RX 15 recoils less then the h4831, the only time you really notice is at the range.

For solids, I second the North Fork solids. I did an insurance shot on a buff and it penetrated the spine between shoulders and the bullet traveled all the way down the leg. This was the NF cup points. The solids will penetrate more.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45 grains XMP5744 behind a 500 grain cast lead bullet.

It will turn your 470 NE into a 45-70 equivalent, which according to Randy Garrett means it will then be more powerful than a 458 Lott. Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500:

Are you trying to say without realizing it, I actually got a second set of barrels when I bought my Merkel?....and I can test the 45-70 theory against the 470?
See you do learn something everyday. Big Grin
Thanks.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually you received 3 sets of barrels.

470 NE
45-70
45 LC

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote