THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Why don't Brits post on Doubles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't Brits post on Doubles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably because they don't allow internet access?Briton uses Rigby Double to Shoot Elephant and Lion

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cumbrian:
DG in the UK (.375)

Never used a .375 but have used a .45-70 on rabbits. Does that also count as overkill?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Used .375 H&H with 300gr a-frame on hare. Was really scared 'cause you never know, what rabbit you will face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

But it was from bolt action, so it doesn't count Big Grin

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Always choose a caliber appropriate for the game!

Read the harrowing tale: 3 down with the 10 bore!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Always choose a caliber appropriate for the game!

Read the harrowing tale: 3 down with the 10 bore!

When you're killing stuff you can never go too big but you can go to small.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Did they crawl down the barrel and suffocate?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I will acknowledge that the Brits have some fine gamebird hunting but I don't imagine I would be welcomed turning up to one of the shoots in shorts, a camo short sleeved no collar polar fleece top, white gumboots used in the freezing works industry and a camo semi-auto holding 7 cartridges.
I really think that would set the stiff upper lips a quivering old chap Big Grin

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Kiri has posted some great hunts in the U.K. I've been tempted, but buying the "proper kit" would price me out of it. Could I be competitive with my Citoris and Levi's? Yes, but it would not be the same. I'm fine with how I hunt here and elsewhere, but I don't know if it would be right.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
I had taken the picture below (bottom) for my annual wildlife management report (predator control). Hadn't planned on sharing it, but after seeing the first picture in a previous post, I couldn't resist (although the fox is the lesser post-colonial gray fox and the double is the working man's German model).

That is a nice fox and would make a fine full body mount! The Gray, silver fox and Kit foxes ARE the only foxes that are native to North America, the red fox was imported from England!

That's a cool fox & photo !

I beg to differ on the North American Red Fox pretty sure it IS native to lots of the continent, different subspecies !

I've shot them in Alaska - Australia & Japan

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
That's a cool fox & photo !

I beg to differ on the North American Red Fox pretty sure it IS native to lots of the continent, different subspecies !

I've shot them in Alaska - Australia & Japan

Sorry son, you may beg to differ but the red fox is not native to north America. It was brought to this continent by a Brit aristocrat who imported them from Europe to the colonies so he could run the fox with his dogs on horseback. The silver fox, kit fox and gray fox are natural to North America.

You may have shot them in all those places but that doesn't mean they were originally there! The swine is not native to North America either, and European swine was brought to this continent by the Spanish conquistadores to supply meat on the trip over, and was given to the priests in the Churches built along the exploring routes. They escaped and became wild. Now they are all over the southern half of North America.

Now we have Starlings, Eland, Aoudad, Indian Blue bull, Mouflon sheep, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Addax antelope, Indian black buck, Gemsbok, Scimitar horned Oryx and a few others roaming our woods and deserts. I've shot all these animals here in North America but none of them are native to this content.

AND, before you say it, the javalina is not a swine but a species all its own and is native to both North, and south America and it and the prong horned antelope are only native to North America. If found in any other continent they are imports.
...................................................................We must agree to disagree on this subject because it is evident my post will not change your mind! It is a free world believe what you want. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
There are native red foxes in the northern Rockies but some assume that the red fox in the Eastern US is descended from European stock in colonial America.
There is even red fox remains in the prehistoric record.
Sarg is right Mac

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
There are native red foxes in the northern Rockies but some assume that the red fox in the Eastern US is descended from European stock in colonial America.
There is even red fox remains in the prehistoric record.
Sarg is right Mac

...........Message received! However If this is true, and I still doubt it is, it goes against all the wildlife biology I have read for the last 76 years since I started grade school at age six!

Simply because an animal is here today doesn't mean it has always been here!

However I yield! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Here is a lot of good information on the Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes) in NA.

https://www.researchgate.net/p...xes_in_North_America

This is one of the abstracts on that page:

ABSTRACT: Red foxes were absent or rare in the southeastern United States until the late 1800s. Their origins potentially include natural population increase/expansion, translocations from Europe, and, eventually, 20th century fur farming. Previous studies have found no European haplotypes in North America, but few samples were sourced from the Atlantic coastal plain, closer to the source of putative introductions. Through analysis of mitochondrial DNA in 584 red foxes from this region, we identified indigenous haplotypes in ≥ 35% of foxes, 1 of 2 European haplotypes in 17% of foxes and fur farm haplotypes in ≥ 13% of foxes; another 35% of foxes had haplotypes potentially indigenous or native. In contrast, only 3 of 135 (2%) male foxes carried a single European Y chromosome haplotype. Most European and fur farm haplotypes were found near the densely human-populated coastal plain and Hudson River lowlands; most red foxes of the Appalachians and Piedmont had native eastern haplotypes. Our findings suggest that the more remote, upland populations primarily reflect indigenous red fox matrilines, whereas urban-associated populations in and around the mid-Atlantic coastal plain and Hudson lowlands reflect an admixture of native and nonnative maternal sources. Autosomal markers are needed to further elucidate the extent of European and fur farm introgression in the Appalachians and further west.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
It's very simple to answer the OPs question. Very few Brits have double rifles because of our tight firearms licencing laws. On my shotgun certificate I can possess as many double and 3 shot semi or pump action shotguns as I like provided the have smooth bores and 24" barrels. Many British shooters use fine shotguns built by British makers, many being family heirlooms handed down through generations.

But it's very different for rifles. To have a rifle, which is held on a Firearm certificate, I have to show good reason for each and every rifle. So basically it's a 22rf, a small centrefire .222 up to c243, and a larger 7mm or 308 for our larger deer. If you want a bigger rifle for use on big game, you will need to show a booking for a safari or for wild boar and you probably will not be allowed to hold ammo in the U.K. For it. If you want to zero it, you really need to find a gunmaker or a dealer with a range and test it under their supervision. They will then hold ammo for you and deliver this to you at the airport (for a fee!)

You can after a few trips overseas, get a licencing officer to allow you to use a 9.3x62 or 375h&h on deer, but for anything larger forget it. Most big doubles don't meet min velocity requirements either - we have a min of 2450fps to be legal.

I have a 16 over 7x65r by Hambrusch - these is seen as unusual. It took a lot of persuasion to allow me to get an Einstecklauf in 7x65r to turn it into a double for use on boar overseas. But the licencing officer really could understand why I wanted such, and frankly it would have been easier just to get a bolt action 30-06 - but they won't allow me to have both.

So fundamentally in the U.K. We don't have much need for a double, very little need for a big double and trying to get them licensed is just a hastle.

And the restriction exists because heavy doubles are so often used in crimes? I imagine the shear number of liquor stores knocked over with best grade .600NE double rifles in the U.K. is uncountable!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the restriction exists because heavy doubles are so often used in crimes? I imagine the shear number of liquor stores knock over with best grade .600NE double rifles in the U.K. is uncountable!

You say this jest, but I'm in hiding for doing exactly that!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because all you guys are deplorables! brits are all liberals with the exception of the ones that can't write!! wave rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aside from their looks and some superficial notes there isn't much posted on them from anyone.I believe there is a lack of knowledge most coming from their high cost stopping people from shooting them much.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

There are clearly going to be more bespoke doubles in the US than in the UK. I would guess that there are more historic 1900s Eng doubles in Sub Sahara than in the UK. There are lots of great European (German) doubles - old and new - in Germany and Austria!

UK gun laws (read large caliber rifle) are prohibitive to most. European laws are more flexible on large calibers.

As regards shooting in the UK, you can get away with a pair of Hunter wellies, moleskin trousers, a fleece and a wax jacket and likely you could get away with camo but only if you shoot like George Digweed! Just leave the semi at home and use an O/U !

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun laws are very restrictive I Britten, and the elite hunt mostly birds these days..Some Brits do hunt Africa but not many..Those that do are normally well informed and tend to shoot high dollar bolt rifles, at least that's been my experience...The gun stores in Britton however view us'ens with snobbery as a rule. If I wear my cowboy hate in those stores they want my autograph, probably never seen a cowboy or they think Im a Hollywood movie star..I gotta quick telling them Im Tom Sellecks dad..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Gun laws are very restrictive I Britten, and the elite hunt mostly birds these days..Some Brits do hunt Africa but not many..Those that do are normally well informed and tend to shoot high dollar bolt rifles, at least that's been my experience...The gun stores in Britton however view us'ens with snobbery as a rule. If I wear my cowboy hate in those stores they want my autograph, probably never seen a cowboy or they think Im a Hollywood movie star..I gotta quick telling them Im Tom Sellecks dad..

Ray that would be Britain.

Britton is in Michigan and is named after John Britton who in 1881 paid the post office to have the town named after him.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in England they have a huntinglaw that dictate a minimum muzzle velocity of 2400 ft/sec in ordre to qualify as a legal caliber for hunting. That would mean basically all of the old calibers like .400/360 etc can't be used exeption on the shooting range if a permit is obtainable. Their classic military cartrigde .577/450 MH is a no-no for hunting on mainland UK. The thing is like the .400/350 rigby or the .400/360WR is that they fall out for any kind of shooting in the UK. They don't have the velocity for hunting and yet they can not be registred as a blackpowder firearm either since they were not black powder cartridges. A double rifle in such caliber can only be purchased as a collectors piece or even worse. ...As a de-activated firearm. The Brits have everything against them legalwise for even ownership of vintage doublerifles.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
I think in England they have a huntinglaw that dictate a minimum muzzle velocity of 2400 ft/sec in ordre to qualify as a legal caliber for hunting. That would mean basically all of the old calibers like .400/360 etc can't be used exeption on the shooting range if a permit is obtainable. Their classic military cartrigde .577/450 MH is a no-no for hunting on mainland UK. The thing is like the .400/350 rigby or the .400/360WR is that they fall out for any kind of shooting in the UK. They don't have the velocity for hunting and yet they can not be registred as a blackpowder firearm either since they were not black powder cartridges. A double rifle in such caliber can only be purchased as a collectors piece or even worse. ...As a de-activated firearm. The Brits have everything against them legalwise for even ownership of vintage doublerifles.

Pretty much correct:

In England and Wales for all deer - minimum of .240 calibre at 1,700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, and in Scotland a min of 100gn bullet weight and 2450 fps muzzle velocity.

And until 2 May 2017, expanding ammunition is Section 5, i.e. prohibited, but given that it is a legal requirement to use expanding ammunition on deer, then you are specifically allowed to acquire such ammo. From 2nd May 2017, all ammunition will be treated as section 1 - expanding and non-expanding is treated as the same.

Technically in England you can use the old BPE rifles on deer. The challenge though is convincing the Firearms Licencing Officers that it is a suitable rifle to use on deer. The challenge is the 450 calibre etc - they read this is 450 Super Magnum and thus superpowerful and far too dangerous etc etc. Saying that I know several deer stalkers in England do use 45-70's on deer.

In Scotland - nay chance - velocity is too low. To be frank difficult to get a 303 or a 6.5x54 conditioned for deer.

I will just go and find a good brick wall and bang my head for a while!!!!

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote