THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New ??? Double Rifle Manufacturer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New ??? Double Rifle Manufacturer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at this site as a source for some work on one of my Ruger .22lr pistols when I saw they were making double rifles. I know they make damn fine competition pistols and do superb conversions on the Ruger 10/22's.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/double_rifle.html

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He doesn't build junk, that is for sure.
I have one of his 460 Rowlands and its a great shooter.
It looks like he is using Huglu shotguns as the base for these. Nothing wrong with that, good strong gun. I am certain he is proofing these guns as safe.
I'm glad to see a new source of doubles. tu2

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Not sure I like the front sight that high, prone to damage.

What are "Bob White" shotguns ? is that a make of shotgun in the US ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably referring to one of the shotgun models they use. Isn't there a Bobwhite by CZ or Huglu?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I "think" the CZ is made in Czechslovakia (sorry about the spelling) but I'm not sure. I started to see them show up about 10 years ago (the shotguns) initially as SxS with double-triggers and splinter fore-ends listed at $1K or so.

Fit and finish wasn't great and trigger's were unusable for me. They have, however, gotten their act together to the point I'm seeing a lot of guys, who normally shoot very nice doubles, using them for their "bad weather" gun albeit with some "work" on the trigger's and refinished wood.

I think the CZ Quail refers to a 20ga frame and the CX Pheasant to either a 16 or 12ga frame.

Like my Dad would have said, "They seem hell for stout"

I also noticed the front sight could double as a brush hook if needed but I did like the optical sight shown on a couple of them.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 16 ga. CZ Bobwhite. Very nice gun. Great wood and handling. I wouldn't like the straight English grip for a DR though.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
At a recent show, the Huglu rep told me that Huglu makes the CZ double shotguns. This was after I remarked that one of the Huglu SxS shotguns looked a lot like the CZ Bobwhite. He seemed a bit frustrated that shooters knew of CZ and not Huglu.

I have shot some clays with the CZ SxS and OU in .410 and 28 ga and found them a good fit and very easy to shoot with accuracy. They look like a good value for the money.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I "think" the CZ is made in Czechslovakia (sorry about the spelling) but I'm not sure. .

Just for the record, it is the "Czech Republic" and "Slovakia." They have been two seperate countries since the Velvet Divorce of 1989. I'm teaching at the NATO School in Oberammergua, DE this week and have a class full of Czech and Slovak officers.

CZ's are made in Czech and they are very proud of them. The main CZ store is right across the street from the main train station in Prague. Well worth a stop in if your ever in town!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The shotguns are made in Turkey by Huglu and branded "CZ". Huglu has branded shotguns for a lot of different companies. Good guns but not Czech-made. Huglu factory

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I know these guys... they used to be ~10 miles from my wife's hometown.. GREAT 10/22 mechanics.. I have no data on them for doubles, though

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That rear rib design is very practical for mounting a red dot etc.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com...Gallery/Img_8671.jpg

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
here is what they look like!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That front sight is definitely too big.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look at the gap at the front of the forearm.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Look at the gap at the front of the forearm.

could you explain yourself please?gap too big or too small or there should be no gap at all?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the Gap.

I think it is designed that way as that is where the fingers go to lever the foreend off.

I might be wrong.

It is only a 5000 DR, not an H&H, if that is the only criticism, that's not bad !!! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ (Huglu) shotguns that I've seen have a forend release, not a simple pull down. Cabelas has quite a few listed on their site.

The second (double trigger) gun that MacD37 posted is the Bobwhite model. I think the two guns are essentially the same except for the double triggers, pistol grip and sideplates.

I've never shot one but several friends have them in 28 and .410 bores and really like them.

I wonder why the two double rifle conversions have such different quarter ribs? The sideplated version has an extremely high rib which probably is the reason for the very high front sight. The double triggered gun has what I would call a conventional quarter rib.

I'd like to see these guys (Huglu) make a factory built and properly regulated double rifle. I'll bet they could make a really decent product. Does anyone know if the round action Turkish built shotgun that Smith & Wesson used to import is also made by Huglu? I think someone else is bringing them in now under the name Dickinson. NO, not Dickson!! That's another outfit that could make a decent low cost rifle if demand was there.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am working on a 45/120 nitro for myself on the pistolgrip, double trigger, NO aideplate huglu

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
The CZ (Huglu) shotguns that I've seen have a forend release, not a simple pull down. Cabelas has quite a few listed on their site.

The second (double trigger) gun that MacD37 posted is the Bobwhite model. I think the two guns are essentially the same except for the double triggers, pistol grip and sideplates.

I've never shot one but several friends have them in 28 and .410 bores and really like them.

I wonder why the two double rifle conversions have such different quarter ribs? The sideplated version has an extremely high rib which probably is the reason for the very high front sight. The double triggered gun has what I would call a conventional quarter rib.

I'd like to see these guys (Huglu) make a factory built and properly regulated double rifle. I'll bet they could make a really decent product. Does anyone know if the round action Turkish built shotgun that Smith & Wesson used to import is also made by Huglu? I think someone else is bringing them in now under the name Dickinson. NO, not Dickson!! That's another outfit that could make a decent low cost rifle if demand was there.

DeHaan brings them in on a custom order basis. I'd start with him. My gut feeling is a license to make rifles and pistols is another thing entirely in Turkey.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would these Clark double guns compare to the Sabatti DR ?? About the same $$

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark understands the words "quality workmanship", and builds them here in the USA. They don't understand the words "Optiwood or file the muzzle to regulate."

Other than that...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
How would these Clark double guns compare to the Sabatti DR ?? About the same $$

And that is the problem with half the world, people look at the $$$ and not the quality of build or the value for money.

IdahoSS summed it up and if the person who is building these understands that, then good on him. Some (ie Sabatti) don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

And that is the problem with half the world, people look at the $$$ and not the quality of build or the value for money.

IdahoSS summed it up and if the person who is building these understands that, then good on him. Some (ie Sabatti) don't.

l do understand there is always a relationship between $$$ and quality. But unfortuneatly $$ play a big part on what we can afford at the time. And the amount of extra time it would take to save up enough to get a quality DR. But if you can get a reasonable quality unit at a reasonable price, may give some of as a chance to get something we may normally not even concider. To get a DG that will be functional, and regulated correctly in an affordable package is a good start for me.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clarke has spend decades getting a good rep in the handgun field. I doubt he would trash it for this if he didn't think the quality was up to snuff.
You will note he spent all his efforts in the build, not in engraving plating and curb feelers.
These look more like good solid working guns to me.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
quote:

l do understand there is always a relationship between $$$ and quality. But unfortuneatly $$ play a big part on what we can afford at the time. And the amount of extra time it would take to save up enough to get a quality DR. But if you can get a reasonable quality unit at a reasonable price, may give some of as a chance to get something we may normally not even concider. To get a DG that will be functional, and regulated correctly in an affordable package is a good start for me.

I understand about having the $$$ to spend, or not, but you asked about these compared to Sabatti and they are the same $$$.

I was pointing out that just because 2 things are nice and shiny and good looking and are the same $$$, doesn't mean they are the same.

Spend your $5000 on a Sabatti and end up crying like a few did. (Although luckily for most, Cabella's has a refund policy). You get what you wanted, a DR at an affordable price but not much good if it doesn't work as it should.

Sometimes it is wise to look past the $$$$$.

The same as people purchased seriously crapped out but cheap English DR's on the basis of "doing them up" or getting them done up and therefore having a cheap English DR. I have yet to see any that turn out cheaper than buying a good, useable gun at a reasonable price in the first place.

My last word is, "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand about having the $$$ to spend, or not, but you asked about these compared to Sabatti and they are the same $$$.

I was pointing out that just because 2 things are nice and shiny and good looking and are the same $$$, doesn't mean they are the same.

l am not planning on buying a Sabatti, l have read of the problems.
l have heard of Clark's reputation down here. And l was hoping his rifles were not the same quality as sabatti rifles.

Maybe l should have refraised my question. There seems to be some good feed back here for Jims work.

quote:
Clark understands the words "quality workmanship", and builds them here in the USA. They don't understand the words "Optiwood or file the muzzle to regulate."

Cheers
Jack