Find
Notify
Tools

A New Double....Shit!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Ok, I have been in the market for a .450/400 DR for the better part of a year. I have been looking for an English DR, but the deals are no where to be found.

I've looked around, I've looked around, I've looked around....

At the DRSS hunt this past week, I got to hold, fondle and play with a Verney-Carron in .450/400.

What a nice friggin gun! It was a left handed rifle, but Dale also brought a .450 NE. It was gorgeous.

The rifle almost fit me like a glove, with a little more drop needed at the comb and heel. It is GORGEOUS.

So I added another mistress to the safe that will be here in six to nine months.

Thanks to DLN for a great deal and for taking the time to make sure my order is perfect; a true gentleman.

So pray for me - I'll probably looking for another misstress to join the .450/400, .470 and .577.

Man I hate you people; you are EXPENSIVE!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Misery loves company, I got measured for a VC at the Dallas Safari show last week Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Congrats guys! Welcome to the Verney-Carron club!

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I talked to those guys at DSC and watched the dvd of the gunmakers they gave me. There's a lot of handwork in those rifles, very impressive. They had a nice Mauser also built on a Golmatic (i.e., Prechtl) action.

They had a beautiful (demo) .470 case colored box lock at a very nice price and I tried really hard to get my friend to buy it. It was gone when he went back on Friday.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Both the VC doubles at the hunt were beautiful! Congrats to both the new owners!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, DN had the two rifles for a total of a couple of days before the hunt, I believe they are the best rifle for the money these days with respect to a totally custom rifle made to your specs, congrats to you!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have excellent tastesSmiler
My VC 450/400 should be ready in about 3-4 months.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your 577 is easy one of the best double rifles i have ever seen..I remember you posted pics of it when you got it..I don't think it can ever be beat... tu2

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I had to keep my hands off those babies because I simply do not need another double rifle, and I knew if I had handled them much I'd buy one!

Dale is a smart salesman. He knows you don't have to high pressure a double rifle addict, all you have to do is place them where the guys can "COON FINGER" them, and they go home with one, or two or .............

They were beautiful rifles and shot very well with factory ammo. They even come in a simple but very nicely thought out case.

The DRSS get together and fun hunt at 4K ranch near Brady, Texas was a smash this year as it always is, but was especially nice this year, we even got a new mascot in Nitro450Express's little toddler. Brought out the grandfather in all the old farts!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Already looking forward to next year, if I live that long! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I looked at them too, very impressive, great value. Also the Anderson Wheeler doubles made in London on VC actions, slightly better fit & finish.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the VC's at the DSC and they were beautiful guns however I do have a question for the DR pros. I really like a latching system at the top of the action like a greener X bolt as in a Heym, a Dolls head or a rising bite.
The VC is more like a SXS shotgun. Is there really any mechanical advantage to a top latching system?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I looked at the VC's at the DSC and they were beautiful guns however I do have a question for the DR pros. I really like a latching system at the top of the action like a greener X bolt as in a Heym, a Dolls head or a rising bite.
The VC is more like a SXS shotgun. Is there really any mechanical advantage to a top latching system?

EZ

EZ

back in the old days they were there as a nessary safety measure, with modern steels there is no real reason to have them for safety reasons and really serve as window dressing now, but what window dressing they can be Smiler
a well fitted dolls head is in my book one of the nicest things to adorn your rifle.

there is another school of thought though, and that is when doing fast reloads in the times that a double will serve you the most, some think that the different toprib extensions will serve as a hindrence in fast reloading and will also scrape you fingers etc. it is now a matter of personal taste, and that as you proberly know differs wildly

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The third lug (greener crossbolt, and/or dolls head) are not absolutely needed on a new rifle that is tightly fitted today. That being said they are no henderance to me at all, and only make a strong rifle stronger IMO!

On the VC, however, the mulitple under lugs negates the need of aything on top, also IMO! The greatest force in a side by side is the rifle trying to rotate around the henge pin, and the each barrel trying to open to the side. In the VC rifle you have three bites below the barrels compared the two in a treditional double rifle, and six sides to stop side twist. IMO a top latch of any kind is not needed on the VC rifle as long as the pressures stay in the NE ranges! IOW, I believe the VC rifles are as strong as they need to be, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them!
......................... coffee However that is only my opinion and not incubent on anyone to follow!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well Pauly congrats on the new addition. Verny Caron loamed us one for the Southern side by side shoot last spring and Hornday gave us the ammo. Many got to experience the 450 3.25in.

I also know another AR guy specked out all his particuliars for his dream rifle and will be ordering it soon. Hw can post all the necessary info.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul: Great choice ........

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Way to go Paul!!!!!! Nice gun!!!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PSmith,

I'm the one who bought that beautiful case colored boxlock. Sorry bout that, but its my first double and I couldn't be more excited. It just fit me too well to pass up. BTW, having this forum gives a guy a lot of confidence in accepting the addiction. I've already bought a Sabatti just to play with and I haven't even received my VC yet!!! Sick.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Also the Anderson Wheeler doubles made in London on VC actions, slightly better fit & finish.

C'mon guy. Are your eyes broke? Look at the details. Same critter IMO. Not made in London. Made in France. Just proofed in England! It's a no brainer. So...what is the proof worth??

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My wife's booth was next to the Anderson Wheeler booth. I had plenty of time to look at their wares and talk to the proprietor (Keith McAllister). According to Keith, the barreled actions are purchased from Paul Demas, the rifles engraved, stocked, finished & proofed in London. Perhaps VC can furnish one on par but those on display at DSC were not quite, IMO.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote