THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    ANYONE USE THE 570GR DGS/500NE ON ELE?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANYONE USE THE 570GR DGS/500NE ON ELE?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am not worried of barrel strain because I do not plan on shooting many solids.I am worried of what hard brass or bronze can do riding on my rifling.There does not seem to be any test on this.Also,I know that he rifling has a hard time engraving and biting into a hard bullet material and therefore a hard time stableizing it and shooting it accurately-this I`ve seen with my own eyes in my own barrels.So,I will not take the chance with those bullets in my bores.I am sure that the DGS will penetrate straight and deep.I like the flat nose in case the bullet hits at a slight angle or hits bone that is angling away.As far as the tests on newspapers,they are just that-tests on newspapers.I did my own test on solids by hitting them with a sledgehammer and saw that it is very difficult for a RNS to take a very hard hit straight on and therefore I think there is more of a chance it could deflect if it hits something very hard.The DGS solves this issue,IMO.

If by hard you are implying CEB or NF solids...you are incorrect in your logic. If the rifling had a "hard time engraving" on them...the barrel strain measurement would go up.

That is precisely why barrel strain is looked at.
No not really- a knife does not have to bruise someone to cut him.A hard bullet material might just cut a slice of steel off your lands without any strain whatsoever.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I am not worried of barrel strain because I do not plan on shooting many solids.I am worried of what hard brass or bronze can do riding on my rifling.There does not seem to be any test on this.Also,I know that he rifling has a hard time engraving and biting into a hard bullet material and therefore a hard time stableizing it and shooting it accurately-this I`ve seen with my own eyes in my own barrels.So,I will not take the chance with those bullets in my bores.I am sure that the DGS will penetrate straight and deep.I like the flat nose in case the bullet hits at a slight angle or hits bone that is angling away.As far as the tests on newspapers,they are just that-tests on newspapers.I did my own test on solids by hitting them with a sledgehammer and saw that it is very difficult for a RNS to take a very hard hit straight on and therefore I think there is more of a chance it could deflect if it hits something very hard.The DGS solves this issue,IMO.

If by hard you are implying CEB or NF solids...you are incorrect in your logic. If the rifling had a "hard time engraving" on them...the barrel strain measurement would go up.

No not really- a knife does not have to bruise someone to cut him.A hard bullet material might just cut a slice of steel off your lands without any strain whatsoever.

George,

Where do you get this stuff? It simply makes no sense. The only reason people like myself continue to respond to these odd statements of yours is that many people come to this site to learn and these things you come up with are simply false.

How is it that a brass (which is much, MUCH softer than steel) bullet with driving bands, giving a space for excess material to displace into as the engraving process cuts into the bullet can be harder on a steel barrel than a bullet like the DGS that has no place for displaced material to flow? Somehow, I think you have the impression that the DGS bullet compresses to relieve that pressure. If so, you couldn't be more wrong since just under that copper jacket is a steel cup. I assure you there is NO compression in that DGS bullet.

Look at both the pressures and barrel strain numbers from Michael and Sam's tests. These tests bare this out with both of the Hornady bullets producing the 2nd and 3rd highest barrel strains. If any of these bullets is likely to damage the rifling, it's the ones with the highest strains.

Furthermore, go back and look at some of the discussions and graphs in the "500NE New Exploration" thread and pay attention to the large secondary spike produced by the Hornady bullet.

Really, there is no problem IMO shooting any of these bullets on the market today and certainly, anyone is free to use whatever they desire as it is their money and their rifle and any risks that exists are purely on the shoulders of the respective rifle owner. But please, stop posting these complete fabrications that have no basis in fact or even educated opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd go ahead and shoot brass down your bore if you like.I dont care if you do not do things my way and I will not try and change that.Two things that I know well and that is accuracy and what it costs to replace a barrel on a double.Unlike you and your buddies,I do it right the first time!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Strain is movement. A knife does cause strain before it cuts. You are 100% wrong. If the bullet were damaging the lands...there would be measurable strain.

Look up the meaning of 'Strain' in a physics book and then look up what a 'Strain Gauge' measures.

You are way off base here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]500ne[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I could be mistaken, but I think that is a dummy cartridge. Maybe others can confirm.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike you and your buddies,I do it right the first time!

"How to Win Friends and Influence People!" Roll Eyes

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
[URL= ]500ne[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]

Anyone else feel like this thread is on the fast track to Bizarro World? cuckoo

WTW??? Over!! space

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You're the one (and only) being nice to him!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I could be mistaken, but I think that is a dummy cartridge. Maybe others can confirm.

Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote