THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    ANYONE USE THE 570GR DGS/500NE ON ELE?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANYONE USE THE 570GR DGS/500NE ON ELE?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering using this bullet.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How was it?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Good.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never used the DGS, but I have used the Woodleigh 570 gr. solid on 4 elephants. All died suddenly!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Shoots,

There are better options if you plan to reload that will give you less barrel strain and more reliable straight line penetration. But that is an easy bullet to shoot with factory loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,I don`t want to use a bullet that doesn`t ``give``like one that is made out of brass or copper.I might consider copper but never brass or bronze.I will also limit the number of solids fired down the bore to almost zero.I am thinking of going with the DGS.I have not heard of it going off course or not giving enough penetration.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
George,

If you read the "Double Rifle Bullet of the Future" thread, you'll see that the Woodleigh FMJ gave the highest barrel strains across the board of all calibers tested. The Hornady DGS and DGX gave the second and third highest barrel strains. The brass bullets with the bore rider bands are much less abrasive on the barrels. That is, if you place validity in the test work that Michael and Sam performed and painstakingly recorded. I do consider their work valid. Evidently, some don't. It's your choice.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
George,

Also, if you prefer to stay from Brass such as the CEB bullets, I would look toward the North Fork bullets as they now have a very similar design to the CEB BBW#13 but are made of copper.

There is no "give" as you say in the DGS as it has a steel cup under the copper jacket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not worried of barrel strain because I do not plan on shooting many solids.I am worried of what hard brass or bronze can do riding on my rifling.There does not seem to be any test on this.Also,I know that he rifling has a hard time engraving and biting into a hard bullet material and therefore a hard time stableizing it and shooting it accurately-this I`ve seen with my own eyes in my own barrels.So,I will not take the chance with those bullets in my bores.I am sure that the DGS will penetrate straight and deep.I like the flat nose in case the bullet hits at a slight angle or hits bone that is angling away.As far as the tests on newspapers,they are just that-tests on newspapers.I did my own test on solids by hitting them with a sledgehammer and saw that it is very difficult for a RNS to take a very hard hit straight on and therefore I think there is more of a chance it could deflect if it hits something very hard.The DGS solves this issue,IMO.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I forgot about your extensive "hammer" testing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]500gr DGS[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Woodleigh is softer but I would prefer it slightly flat like the DGS.I might try the NorthFork or Gerard bullet.I am sure they would be perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

Does Butch know that you are buying a rifle from him yet? I'd be willing to bet that if he were to read some of your more "intelligent" and "polite" posts of late that he'd have second thoughts about placing one of his rifles in your hands.

Just an observation but. I wouldn't feel safe selling you a tricycle with even if it had a tipsy cup and a helmet included. So are we gong to have to listen to your BS about double rifles now? Are you now a double rifle expert? Since you supposedly have one on order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am not worried of barrel strain because I do not plan on shooting many solids.I am worried of what hard brass or bronze can do riding on my rifling.There does not seem to be any test on this.Also,I know that he rifling has a hard time engraving and biting into a hard bullet material and therefore a hard time stableizing it and shooting it accurately-this I`ve seen with my own eyes in my own barrels.So,I will not take the chance with those bullets in my bores.I am sure that the DGS will penetrate straight and deep.I like the flat nose in case the bullet hits at a slight angle or hits bone that is angling away.As far as the tests on newspapers,they are just that-tests on newspapers.I did my own test on solids by hitting them with a sledgehammer and saw that it is very difficult for a RNS to take a very hard hit straight on and therefore I think there is more of a chance it could deflect if it hits something very hard.The DGS solves this issue,IMO.

The bullet doe not have a hard time engraving on CEB bullets because it is only engraving the bands. LOW surface area. Extensive testing has already been done with regards to strain and penetration, actual tests that compile and analyze data.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I hereby nominate this thread as the one most likely to drive sane men into "the climbing a water tower with a sniper rifle thread of the year award"....

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Shootaway,

Does Butch know that you are buying a rifle from him yet? I'd be willing to bet that if he were to read some of your more "intelligent" and "polite" posts of late that he'd have second thoughts about placing one of his rifles in your hands.

Just an observation but. I wouldn't feel safe selling you a tricycle with even if it had a tipsy cup and a helmet included. So are we gong to have to listen to your BS about double rifles now? Are you now a double rifle expert? Since you supposedly have one on order.
surestrike, are you and your buddies going to still harass the hell out of me anytime I make a post or open a thread?.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I hereby nominate this thread as the one most likely to drive sane men into "the climbing a water tower with a sniper rifle thread of the year award"....

animal

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
surestrike, are you and your buddies going to still harass the hell out of me anytime I make a post or open a thread?.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
George,

Also, if you prefer to stay from Brass such as the CEB bullets, I would look toward the North Fork bullets as they now have a very similar design to the CEB BBW#13 but are made of copper.

There is no "give" as you say in the DGS as it has a steel cup under the copper jacket.

Shootaway, I know this is very upsetting for you! Any harassing is hard to take, especially if it becomes a "PILE ON" type of harassment. However sometimes the person who is being harassed carries some responsibility for the way he/she is treated. Of course that doesn't make the harassment easier to take, but if a person can't get along with anyone, the place to look for the cause is in the mirror.

My advice to you is to make a concentrated effort to speak only about things you know and when asking questions about anything try not to argue with the answers you get.

You don't have to believe all of the answers, but you DID ask, and asking indicates you don't know the answer to the question, so on what basis do you think you have an argument that holds water?

Take all the answers you get, and simply choose the one you like and go with that one. In the case of this thread the answer is simple go with the research that proves the choice you need to make. In this case several people, who DO know what they are talking about, have recommended the CEB BBW#13 or North Fork FPS and that is some very good advice. The extensive tests done in their development has dispelled some of the old myths in regard to hard bullet design. You would be a lot wiser if you took the advice given to you here, as like the quote from Todd Williams above. This will not only make your internet life better, but may in fact save your life in the field!

[
......................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Shootaway, I know this is very upsetting for you! Any harassing is hard to take, especially if it becomes a "PILE ON" type of harassment. However sometimes the person who is being harassed carries some responsibility for the way he/she is treated. Of course that doesn't make the harassment easier to take, but if a person can't get along with anyone, the place to look for the cause is in the mirror.

My advice to you is to make a concentrated effort to speak only about things you know and when asking questions about anything try not to argue with the answers you get.

You don't have to believe all of the answers, but you DID ask, and asking indicates you don't know the answer to the question, so on what basis do you think you have an argument that holds water?

Take all the answers you get, and simply choose the one you like and go with that one. In the case of this thread the answer is simple go with the research that proves the choice you need to make. In this case several people, who DO know what they are talking about, have recommended the CEB BBW#13 or North Fork FPS and that is some very good advice. The extensive tests done in their development has dispelled some of the old myths in regard to hard bullet design. You would be a lot wiser if you took the advice given to you here, as like the quote below from Todd Williams. This will not only make your internet life better, but may in fact save your life in the field!

quote:
George,

......................................................................... coffee

Mac,

We can always count on you to provide a diplomatic answer and to constructively criticize someone without getting nasty as many on here seem to like to do.

Thank you for the lesson in courtesy!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
George:

I have never been to Africa but I'd wager that the Hornady 570 DGS will perform well for you. I have heard a lot of complaints about the DGX bullet and would stay away from it but the solid seems to perform well albeit at higher pressures than a North Fork or CEB solid. However, I doubt that it would do your barrel any harm if you are not shooting a steady diet of copper clad steel solids.

I have used Woodleigh solids on bison and they seem to perform well. However, after all of Michael458s testing, I have switched over to North Fork, CEB, and the occasional Barnes solid in my doubles. I think the CEB and North Fork bullets are especially easy on double rifle barrels.

Best of luck with your new rifle.....

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't understand why you guys continue to respond to this idiots questions. Confused It is a complete exercise in futility as he already has an answer prior to posting and really only wants an argument. killpc

Todd, please stop encouraging him! hammering There is simply no amount of education, training and experience that will sway him!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Take all the answers you get, and simply choose the one you like and go with that one. In the case of this thread the answer is simple go with the research that proves the choice you need to make. In this case several people, who DO know what they are talking about, have recommended the CEB BBW#13 or North Fork FPS and that is some very good advice. The extensive tests done in their development has dispelled some of the old myths in regard to hard bullet design. You would be a lot wiser if you took the advice given to you here, as like the quote below from Todd Williams. This will not only make your internet life better, but may in fact save your life in the field!

quote:
George,

Mac,

We can always count on you to provide a diplomatic answer and to constructively criticize someone without getting nasty as many on here seem to like to do.

Thank you for the lesson in courtesy!

465H&H

And what thoughtful and intelligent reply he got from shootaway!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
I used the DGS bullets on my last buff hunt in Zim,the caliber was 470,weight 500 grs,they worked just fine,If I had a 500,I would not hesitate to use them.

I am sorry to see you get harassed thumbdown

Todd Williams,
I commend you sir,for setting an example of how a gent should behave tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Dave.I wanted to see how they did on game-how much penetration and if they penetrated straight.Anyways, I am not going to get caught up in this which solid to use thing.I am going to order one box each of a couple of good solids and that will be it for the next 10 years.It looks like my next hunt will be a bull ele hunt.I am going to spend some time looking at shot placement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to spend some time looking at shot placement.

Shootaway,

That is the most logical and coherent thing you've ever written.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
I am going to spend some time looking at shot placement.

Shootaway,

That is the most logical and coherent thing you've ever written.
I don`t think it is the only one but thanks anyway!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I managed to find some Northfork bullets and have them on order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also have some Woodleigh FMJ and RNSP on order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the DGS in a 500 but have in a 458 Win on elephant. Took three with it and the DGS penetrated straight in those three. The amount of penetration on elephant was deeper than Woodleigh RNS but less than North Fork, Woodleigh Hydro or CEB solids.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought them because a short look around here told me that 500NE bullets are a rare thing so I decided to jump on them in case things get worse.I will try and get another box or two of Northfork-they only had one in FPS.I would prefer the flat nose solid.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought them because a short look around here told me that 500NE bullets are a rare thing

No, they are not rare. Not at all. Very easy to get. I've never had to wait on .510 diameter, 570gr bullets being back ordered. At least not from CEB or Barnes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,this is Canada.

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Easy to get in Canada. Someone who doesn't know what they are talking about fed you a line. I just am finishing permits for another order for myself

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not say easy.I tried Wholesale sports,Corlane`s,Bradshaw,and they did not have.The whole lot of other suppliers I use for target practice 308 like Higginsons,Elwood Epps,etc.. do not carry much in big bore components-most carry none.The fellow that got me worried was a Hornady distributor in alberta who told me he tried to import .510 caliber bullets once from the states and his order was blocked by on the US side because of caliber size.I got my Woodleigh`s from Trade-ex but they have no Hornady brass.I finally found the Hornady 500NE brass by contacting a Canadian distributor I got from there web site.The fellow arranged for a well known local shop of which the owner I know very well to receive them from him.I still had to buy 7 cases of 20 brass at 89 dollars a case to make it worth while for anyone.I could have got a Permit and got them from the US like I got my 405gr bullets from Huntington`s but that would require a large order to make things worth there while.The North forks I found was by getting the name of a store off a shooting forum. I got them from Prophet River sports and they had only one box of FPS in inventory(they had no 500NE brass).

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
It's tough to find premium equipment when you shop in Walmart too.

Last week I was in all 4 of the stores in and around my city. 3 had 500, 470 and 450/400 brass and two had woodleigh and hornady bullets. I guess I just live in an area that has a lot of double shooters. Oh and one of them is wholesale sports.

Yes it used to be difficult to get .510 caliber but that distributed was full of BS. Heck you can even import loaded 50 BMG with little difficulty.

Yes there are less stores that have goodies for us big bore shooters, but it's still relatively easy to get when you know where to get it from.

Maybe western companies just don't want to deal with someone from Quebec!

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

If by hard you are implying CEB or NF solids...you are incorrect in your logic. If the rifling had a "hard time engraving" on them...the barrel strain measurement would go up.

That is precisely why barrel strain is looked at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck32:
It's tough to find premium equipment when you shop in Walmart too.

Last week I was in all 4 of the stores in and around my city. 3 had 500, 470 and 450/400 brass and two had woodleigh and hornady bullets. I guess I just live in an area that has a lot of double shooters. Oh and one of them is wholesale sports.

Yes it used to be difficult to get .510 caliber but that distributed was full of BS. Heck you can even import loaded 50 BMG with little difficulty.

Yes there are less stores that have goodies for us big bore shooters, but it's still relatively easy to get when you know where to get it from.

Maybe western companies just don't want to deal with someone from Quebec!
Those western companies have sold me many guns and reloading components in the many thousands of dollars throuhgout the years.I have also have done rebarreling and custom gun work in the west.
I don`t really care if anyone does not want my money I`ll be glad to spend it elsewhere or just keep it.
I`ll tell you one thing Quebec gun shops are full of orders heading out west.