New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Eye Opener
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Much conversation is made about the accuracy of bolt rifles vs double rifles.

I suggest ya'll try this.

Take a very accurate bolt rifle, and a double rifle of similar power/recoil.
Be sure both rifles have the same sighting system, ie both scoped or both iron sights.

Shoot both rifles say 10 rounds at 25 yards off hand, 10 rounds at 50 yards off hand, 10 rounds kneeling at 75 yards, and 10 rounds sitting at 100 yards, and 10 rounds from standing/sticks at 100 yards.

Report results here.

Actually, I have shot a 458 Bolt rifle with iron sights AND scope side by side with my 450 No2 from field hunting positions, I found no difference in "accuracy".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually NE 450, all this shows is that there are other (greater) sources that contribute to accuracy/inaccuracy than the firearm itself, right? This is certainly a valid point when the consideration is hunting, and people are talking about how well their favorite tackdriver shoots off the bench. Generally this means how well their favorite tackdriver ONCE shot off the bench.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
more fun.. or at least cheaper....

shoot 10 rounds of 22, standing...
shoot 10 rounds of your favorite big bore
repeat twice
compare the growth in group size...

alternative

shoot 20 rounds of your favorite big bore.

then pick up a 22 and try to shoot groups.

if you can keep the 22 within 2" at 50, you are doing GREAT, assuming all shots standing
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Under hunting conditions, the weakest link in the trio - ammo, rifle, hunter - is without a doubt the hunter.

The nice part about having an accurate rifle/ammo combination is when one has to take a careful, rested shot something like a croc to hit the brain.

Or shoot an animal at relatively longer distances.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good rifle does make a differance off hand. If you hold 4 moa. and shoot a 1/4 moa rifle your group size might grow to 4.25", if you shoot a 2 moa rifle your group size may grow to
6". that is almost 50 % more. thats at a 100 yards . X2 at 200, and X3 at 300. That does not even consider the effect of wind. How do we hit anything?
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

The math doesn't work that way. I hope someone who knows the math chimes in. But here's the short version of my understanding, which is based on reading about the issue some too long ago time:

The shooter's errors and the rifle's errors are not additive, though common sense seems to tell you that they must be. Instead, the combined errors don't add up to much change from the hunter's errors even if he is shooting an imaginary perfect rifle.

I only recall this kernel from my reading and don't even recall what I was reading or why I was doing the reading.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It kind of works both ways. You break the shot on the outer edge of your 4 moa wobble, and the cone of the 2 moa ammo rifle combo also put the shot on that outer edge away from your point of aim. You are 6 moa out from aim point. one possible of many. You break your shot on the edge of your 4 moa wooble , the cone of the rifle ammo combo falls to the inside of the wooble placeing your shot 2 moa from point of aim. In one shot it opened your group to the max, in the next it placed your shot closer to point of aim pure good luck. To learn to shoot well you need a good rifle ammo combo, A moa set up is a place to start .5 moa is even better. You need to know that the hits were yours and not just good luck and that the misses were also yours and not just bad luck. You Can't develop good tec and
the skill to read conditions if you luck into your hits or have bad luck deal you misses.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

I thought so too, but the statisics proved otherwise, as I recall.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
JD:
A properly centred 4 MOA group has no shot further away from point-of-aim than 2 MOA. Add a further 2 MOA 'ammo-rifle-combo' cone to that and you are only 1 MOA further from Point-of-Aim, at worst.

You appear to have inadvertently confused group diameter with radius! Big Grin

Valid points, otherwise.

Remember too that in a 4 MOA group, most shots should be closer to the centre than the 'fringe'. If your groups resemble 'donuts', there is likely some other factor in play.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Marrakai
You are right about a well centered group. I am speaking of a 4 moa wooble. all to often a shooter's intended point of aim and the wooble
caused buy shooting offhand or from a improvised rest are not centered. What I am trying to suggest is that shooting well during a hunt is tough enough, you should not allow a poor shooting rifle ammo combo to make proper shot placement a game of chance. I shoot shilo for fun. I can't tell you the # of times I have broken the shot a little off center on a 500 meter ram and have a miss because the rifle was shooting 2 moa. I have also broken the shot off the ram by mistake and have had them fall with a edge hit due to a little luck and a large group. I now shoot a 1/2 moa rifle , My scores very little, from match to match given similar shooting conditions. The shooter plays the biggest part, a rifle that only shoots moa of Zebra is something none of us need.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the weakest link is the person behind the gun Double or Bolt. I think most people would be amazed at how far you can hit with a properly regulated Double. The problem is most people don’t practice at longer ranges with there Double. I think with the addition of a scope 600 yards wouldn’t be imposable. Yes I know it wouldn’t be easy and you would have to know your trajectory and bullet drop, but if you actually practiced at longer ranges it is doable. Just for the record I recommend the most steady position possible when shooting game.
My local club has a public sight in days event to help the general public sight in there deer rifle. I am amazed at the number of people who never shoot a rifle any other position than on the bench. When I suggest they try offhand they are shocked that you might hit something that way. I think the 6†gong at 200 is a fun target. We have been known to paint a black 2’’ circle in the middle just to see who byes the “cokesâ€
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote