Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Great post over on 24HR Forum about a great hunt including elephant with a 450NE Sabbati.

Yeah, but I heard from an unreliable source that the hunter was shooting at a hippo about 90 degrees away from the elephant......

Yes it's true, he killed the hippo with the right barrel and when the elephant charged he used the left barrel to kill the beast saving the PH's life.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my new sights filed in today on my 500 Sabatti. I had to make a taller front sight and redo the peep sight I had made earlier. The gun I have has good crowns with no grinding. The regulation target looked really good from the factory. I had to try one of these guns. Now I do complain that I had to do some sight work on the gun. Any double should be regulated to the sights from the factory. Those targets with holes high low or way to the side don't seem like it is done right. The average guy should not have to do a lot of work to get gun sighted in especially make new sights. The comb is also a little too high for me and I couldn't get down on the original sights easily.
OK after filing the new front sight to match the peep I shot the gun at 50 yds with two different loads. One was a good 4350 load with a 570 Hornady DGS and the other was a load of 4831 with a 535 Woodleigh soft. The 570 gr bullets grouped about 1.5 inches and the 535s were touching. Both loads shot same POI. This gun needs loads right at 2150 fps with a 570 to pull the barrels together. It has grouped well with other bullets so I think the gun is properly regulated. I'm very happy with the results. If Sabatti would regulate all their guns like this one to start with I think they would have plenty of business.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Got my new sights filed in today on my 500 Sabatti. I had to make a taller front sight and redo the peep sight I had made earlier. The gun I have has good crowns with no grinding. The regulation target looked really good from the factory. I had to try one of these guns. Now I do complain that I had to do some sight work on the gun. Any double should be regulated to the sights from the factory. Those targets with holes high low or way to the side don't seem like it is done right. The average guy should not have to do a lot of work to get gun sighted in especially make new sights. The comb is also a little too high for me and I couldn't get down on the original sights easily.
OK after filing the new front sight to match the peep I shot the gun at 50 yds with two different loads. One was a good 4350 load with a 570 Hornady DGS and the other was a load of 4831 with a 535 Woodleigh soft. The 570 gr bullets grouped about 1.5 inches and the 535s were touching. Both loads shot same POI. This gun needs loads right at 2150 fps with a 570 to pull the barrels together. It has grouped well with other bullets so I think the gun is properly regulated. I'm very happy with the results. If Sabatti would regulate all their guns like this one to start with I think they would have plenty of business.

Sam

If that was the case I would have one in my vault as we speak!
Now gentlemen that is a Sabatti report worth repeating!

.............................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac,

I'm pretty pleased for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Shot my Sabatti 500NE today with new sights and using an MTM rest I think it did pretty good for a $5000 double. Shots were at 50 yards and the loads were two shots of each of the following. All loaded with 108 grs of IMR 4350. 535 gr Woodleigh soft, 570 gr DGS and 535 gr CEB#13 non cons.
Oh and I haven't finished the front sight so its still big and flat topped.
Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam..
STOP right there...!!!
Like many others...I read the review in the Rifleman and came here to see what the feelings, AND real world experiences are for these rifles. Your target looks like a VERY respectable group for a rifle designed to shoot big dangerous critters...up close, and personal.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, there's a rumor that the Elephant taken in the 24hr thread was actually killed by a piece of the Sabatti action that blew off upon firing the rifle. Did you start that one???? :-)

Posts: 20095 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mac, there's a rumor that the Elephant taken in the 24hr thread was actually killed by a piece of the Sabatti action that blew off upon firing the rifle. Did you start that one???? :-)

rotflmo

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
quote:

rotflmo

I thought it was a round nose solid that turned the corner!

L

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope wasn't me! I'm happy that some did get good ones, and if the good ones were a little more frequent, I'd have one myself!

I really wanted one chambered for 450/400NE 3 inch, and came very close to buying one of the first three that came to the Fort Worth Cabela's! Decided to wait to see how they held up! I really didn't need one, I have five double rifles, and two cape guns, and several big bore bolt and single shot rifles. BUT what does "need" have to do with buying double rifles?
......................... Eeker came close though!!!!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

using an MTM rest

Sam

shocker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36697 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

Yep, I had to try one at $34. Piece of plastic but well designed and worked good. I put 75 lbs of shot in it and it took the recoil with no broken stock. I like it much more than a lead sled.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOB: I load my .470 with Hornady DGX and DGS with RL 15 with no filler and have had no problems, both loads shoot to about the same place at 50 yards, I also use IMR 4831 but seem to get a bit more accuracy out of the RL 15.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2772 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Sam that's a very good looking rear sight! Any plans on doing more?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ledvm,

Yep, I had to try one at $34. Piece of plastic but well designed and worked good. I put 75 lbs of shot in it and it took the recoil with no broken stock. I like it much more than a lead sled.

Sam

I got one on the way as well. So do I have your permission to shoot my .500 in one as well??? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36697 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're a Lead Sled wanna-be!!! :-)

Posts: 20095 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Sam! That's a very nice group from ANY double rifle. Glad you were able to get yours dialed in.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the comments.

Mike I don't want to go into the sight making business. I promised one to a couple of people and haven't sent them out yet. I have been trying to figure out a good test sight to make the final sight easier to make. I still working on it. There just isn't much room to work with on the rib. Don't really want to have to cut a dovetail in the rib either. Hoping my final design will only require one screw in the rib.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sam that is a great group as usual and a nice rifle. You seem to have a new christmas present! well done.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Christmas!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam. I just got back from a 5 week business trip to India. I'll email you with update.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
First let me welcome you to AR, as I see you are a new member here! I think once you get to know
everyone here, you will like this website!

Thank you GOB for the fine first post above! I believe I’ve read that post on another website as well. It seems you and some of your friends have bought some of the good ones, as well from Sabatti.

beer Congratulations you and your friends are indeed fortunate! Many have not been so lucky.

The best powders for the 470NE are IMR- 4831, H-4831 and H-4831sc, and RE-15. I use H-4831sc ! RE-15 will usually require filler, but none of the 4831 powders require filler.

I have not used the IMR-4320 powders in the 470NE! I prefer a slower burn in these very large volume cases and I don’t like to have to use a lot of filler.
....................................... old

Sorry for not getting back on this sooner but I had a time figuring out just how to get back to this spot and I am not even certain if this is going to the proper place anyhow. I definately do appreciate the information on the powders and shall sort things out. It is getting bloody cold here now and it is not exactly Palm Beach out there shooting even though we have a 200 yard range 10 yards away from the building which is set up to load our cartridges. I found it seriously interesting the serious problems found by some folks with their Sabatti rifles. I suppose that guys are absolutely correct that they expect the rifle to be regulated especially with the "regulation" target provided with the rifles. Assuming that the Customer Service is as poor as stated then that is not exactly going to bring a lot of sunshine into anyone's day. I really did not expect a lot of help there when I or friends purchased the rifles. They however all have shot as shown using the Hornaday ammo. For 5 to 6 K it is a hell of a bargain if it shoots properly. The cost to fit the stock properly to you personally, remove the garbage pad, a recoil reducer and a few lead sinkers to balance the gun, a decent front bead, cut the line on the back sight, a bit of gunsight white paint, a slight tune job on the triggers if you find them difficult and if you need it a hand rubbed oil finish. Most of the work one can do themselves (I would not suggest any trigger work unless you are a pro) and for a few hundred $$$$$$$$$ you have a little gem. There are lost of stories about where one finds the $50.00 Purdey at the local yard sale but it has never happened to me or anyone I know. There certainly are lots and lots of folks who would love to be able to head of to Africa with a double rifle but can only afford a Sabatti or similar rifle. God bless them, by purchasing the Sabatti and becoming familiar with it they just may well be able to put the pennies together to experience their dream. This beats the hell out of sitting in front of a TV watching some other guy shoot an elephant while you hold your Westley, Hyem or whatever because you spent your money on a posh rifle. As the old saying goes "beware the man who only has one rifle and he knows how to use it". It is as my Father used to say, "if you do not have something nice to say about someone better to say nothing".
Respectfully, GOB

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I just got back from a 5 week business trip to India.

Wow, what did you do in life to deserve this? Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote