THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Pedersoli Kodiak barrel regulation startin point
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli Kodiak barrel regulation startin point
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
Having recently entered the double rifle world after acquiring a Pedersoli Kodiak, 45-70 I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding a
good starting point with load development.I understand that this series of Pedersoli's were
regulated with factory,405 grain bullet weights but am open to any powder/bullet combinations that could be offered,Thank you Steve B.

Question:
List one caliber available in a Pedersoli Kodiak

Choices:
45/70
8x57

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
They also built it in a 9.3X74R! Mine was very accurate but barrel heavy.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never use factory level loads in a 45-70 except with black powder. I use 48 grains of 3031 under a 405 for my DR; that is still under 35000 psi. You can use 3031 powder for low or hot loads; it is very versatile in the 45-70.

Posts: 17185 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot one of those a few weeks ago in 45-70. A guy that used to come out and watch me shoot my 470's at the range liked the doubles but couldn't afford the Merkels, ammo , etc. I think he was shooting 300gr Sierra's to get used to the gun. He let me shoot it off my shooting sticks at 25yds and it shot a big ragged hole with 4 shots. He was just starting to learn about regulation of a double.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
punch it out to 45/120, which is "the same' as 450 NE, except rim, and inexpensive norma brass - i have 45/120 nitro loads listed on ammoguide

as far as 45/70 loads
rem 405s at 1800 will kill anything in north america, other than mebbe a charging kodiak .. and should regulate fairly close.. work up a load to get you around there, i prefer h335 and mag primers, and then see where it shoots

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38638 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to punch mine out to 450#2 years back. I loaded some 500gr cast and they keyholed. I don't think they have enough twist rate to stabilize anything over 405gr.
I would keep it at 45/70 and enjoy it. They are fun little doubles.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
They also built it in a 9.3X74R! Mine was very accurate but barrel heavy.

I wouldnt know! Wink

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 45-70 is very accurate with 300gr Remington factory ammo. I killed a hog at about 125-150 yards. Not scientific like some people but it put the bacon on the table. Actually it was only my second shot with the rifle, the first being at a beer can at 20 yards. I was as surprised as the guide I was with that I even hit the hog.

quote:
Originally posted by Union:
Hello,
Having recently entered the double rifle world after acquiring a Pedersoli Kodiak, 45-70 I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding a
good starting point with load development.I understand that this series of Pedersoli's were
regulated with factory,405 grain bullet weights but am open to any powder/bullet combinations that could be offered,Thank you Steve B.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
I wouldnt know! Wink

You would if you weren't 'skeered' of it and shoot it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote