THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifle Bored Out to Shotgun - Convert Back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Bored Out to Shotgun - Convert Back?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in a local gunshop today and happened upon a snap action .450 Express double rifle that had been bored out to a 20 gauge shotgun. I assume the work was done in the U.S. as the gun had not been reproved after the conversion. The salesperson knew nothing about the history of the gun and the resident gunsmith, who had apparently examined the gun was not available today.

Except for the reboring, the gun seemed in excellent condition. The rear sight slot in the full length rib had been poorly filled and the front sight slot had the rifle sight replaced with a shotgun bead. The engraving was in excellent condition. The barrel markings (Adams & Co. and 450 Express) were both sharp and clear. The barrels were tight on the face with the forend removed and the wood was in excellent condition. Asking price was $1895.

I was thinking that this might be a candidate for either barrel lining back to .450 Express or sleeving to the original or a similar caliber. Have any of you attempted something similar? If so, who would you recommend to do the work? Any idea what it might cost?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread. Your answer is here or it will be if you ask.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=...o=&fpart=5#Post51581

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
The first step should be to track down whoever ruined a double rifle, by turning it into a shotgun, and then "remove" him from the gene pool!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote