Notify
Tools

470 NE / RL 15 / NF 500
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
EZ,

FYI, I have been seating the NF's just below the bottom edge of the top driving band/ring.

OAL Length is about the same as the Woodleighs with about .075 more protruding in the case.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Will

I think Graeme Wright wrote something about this in his 1st or 2nd Edition
where the plug shrunk or came loose and powder went past it.

It can happen.

We all live and learn, even me!

But ole Gramme is living and learning too. In the 1st ed. he was claiming that the bullets shouldn't be crimped and then he flipped flopped for the 2nd ed. and said bullets should be crimped. Smiler Ain't much of anything much gospel.

Unless the plug is too small in diameter AND it didn't fill up the case AND there was some vastly different densities of powder versus plug OR the plug was porous for some reason, it just ain't happening.

But like John Wayne said "You do what you think is best."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Are you crimping? That is another topic all together that can stir debate, especially in a drop feed type action that will see no magazine dynamics. I never crimp in anything 338 and below but there is less bearing friction I suspect with this NF bullets between the shank and the case throat due to the bullet design. I suppose experience will give me my answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
EZ,

FYI, I have been seating the NF's just below the bottom edge of the top driving band/ring.

OAL Length is about the same as the Woodleighs with about .075 more protruding in the case.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
eezridr, as other posters have pointed out, the advantage of Reloader 15 is reduced recoil.

Indeed. And you if you plan to actually use your rifle for its intended purpose, as opposed to shooting milk jugs at the range, you will come to understand the advantages of a slower powder with better load density once your rifle has spent 24 hours being jostled about on airplanes and another several days being bounced around in the back of a Cruiser thus causing some of the powder to migrate around the plug. Recoil will be the least of your problems.

Load density is the same if it is 100% powder or 80% powder and 20% stuffing. The case is still full and powder is held in place.

When I was playing with pufflon I took a Little glass jar and filed it 3/4 full of rl15 and toped it off with pufflon for 100% load density. Then I put it in a vibratory cleaner for a couple of hours. Thats two granular products with a real chance it could mix if it moved.

Nothing moved!!!! Your filler only needs to be stiff enough to hold the powder in place and have 100% fill. If the foam is stiff enough and large enough to fill the void your load can not move.

I do use my rifle for what they were intended.
If it kills the same, but kicks less allowing me to get that 2nd shot off a 1/2 second faster and be more accurate its a advantage I want even when shooting water jugs!

JD

I want to add to the discussion that there is much less muzzle blast and report with the rl15 loads.

H 4831 is too slow for best results, I think h4350 and rl19 are better choices if you do not want to use a filler.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr,

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/faqcrimp.html

I don't feel crimping in necessary with a driving band bullet, expecially if the bands are far enough apart to allow the brass to spring back inbetween the bands, as long as the case is chamfered a little inside and out. Might just want to shoot Mike at NF a quick e-mail and ask.

J D,
I agree. Muzzle blast is often overlooked. The slower the powder and/or the more unburnt powder exits the barrel, the more recoil you will feel. Muzzle pressure is important when it comes to recoil, and 4831 is a bit slow for this cartridge. Not going to comment on using a plug because I cannot say I have ever done it, except with shotguns, but I do understand it. Works in a 12 gauge!

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Less recoil is always a good thing. We all shoot better with less recoil.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote