Merkel 500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I'm only interested in real rifles. Not odd experimental contraptions that are likely to blow up in the shooter's face! sofa

Todd, now that's the safe course to take...rely on the technology of a time when the only way to get more than one shot out of a rifle was to weld 2 of them together :-)

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why fix something that isn't broken? jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, what time is it now? Better check your sundial!!! :-)

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
So what your saying Beibs is you prefer that new "shooting system" whereby you put the laser on the animal, push a button, the onboard computer calculates the hold over, then you press the trigger down, and when, as your aim while not using a bench tends to wander, the now displayed crosshairs wanders back over the animal's kill zone, the rifle automatically fires. Hell, I hear you can even do that over the internet from the comfort of your home, sitting in an easy chair wearing nothing but a smile and skivvies! Advancement of the hunting weapon "system", eh?

No thanks! I'll stick with the ONLY rifle type that was designed from the beginning to be, and to be nothing else other than, a hunting weapon! The Double Rifle!!!

Zzzziiiiinnnnnggggg!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think somewhere between the two extremes lies the comfort zone :-)

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Randy, I missed the model number on this one. A Merkel 160 is a sidelock. The special African editions I've seen were boxlock rifles, Model 140-2.2. If it is a sidelock, it's probably from the Merkel Emporium (Custom Shop) and would be worth well north of the $19,995 I mentioned.

I have an article from the Nov 2010 issue of Rifle on the 140.2.1 with octagonal barrels if anyone wants it. I can send a PDF. It's a nice aticle in that its a long one rather than a short blurb. PM your email or respond directly to this.

p.s. Asked Ken to add on a stock disc with my initials to my VC. Three more months to go....

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote