New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a model 160 African series, #3, with octagon barrels in 500NE with octagon barrels for $14,000, mint condition. Has a gold elephant on bottom of receiver. Is this a reasonable price? Thanks.

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, welcome to AR. Yes, that's the African series....they originally sold for $19,995 as I remember. I had them in 500 NE and 470 NE.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Merkels good reliable rifles?

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are, and probably the most accurate of the commercial doubles out there. They are traditional in design, no funky safeties or other supposed "improvements". Good, solid, and accurate doubles.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree.

Good solid working doubles.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Randy,

Welcome. You have a PM from me.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I missed the model number on this one. A Merkel 160 is a sidelock. The special African editions I've seen were boxlock rifles, Model 140-2.2. If it is a sidelock, it's probably from the Merkel Emporium (Custom Shop) and would be worth well north of the $19,995 I mentioned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs is spot on. A 160 at that price is a super deal. You can call the guys at Merkel USA(205-655-8299) in Trussville, AL and ask them about pricing on that gun. I have been to their shop and drooled over the inventory. Really nice guys.

I held 140-2 African series #2 in 500 NE when it was there. It is a boxlock and was $20k. The sidelock 160 non collector series is around $10k more than a 140. And no I did not want to leave....I was in heaven.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkels work great! I have a 140 in .500NE, and it has accounted for fourteen buffalo, ten pigs and three wild dogs in less than two years.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VC 500 for sale at $13500. You can see it on the HeymUSA site.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, I was wondering whose that was.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My first double rifle was the Merkel 500NE that LionHunter now owns. Took several elephant with that gun. I always found it to be a solid rifle, very accurate, and hell for stout. Great entry level DR IMO.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I really like my Merkel 140-2 .500 NE.

I don't see up close so good anymore so I had Bailey Bradshaw build me an aperture sight for it. tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 160AE with ejectors are the new series the old serie (160A = extractors) only should be less expensive because, many sold them or want sell it and replace it against the new serie.

A standard 160AE cost EUR 10700 plus tax. Additionally came engraving and other extras. A used second hand 160A should not cost more then EUR 5000 even in super condition and what ever extra, because there is some pressure on the market especailly for non ejector guns.

With the Krieghoff Classic the same is the case, many want replace thier DR against the new ejector DR of the same brand

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the Krieghoff Classic the same is the case, many want replace thier DR against the new ejector DR of the same brand

Neophytes!!! Don't they know that the elephant/buffalo/hippo will hear the "ping" of the ejectors and zero in on the hunter's location with a deadly charge, killing him, the PH, and the trackers and thereby messing up the countryside?!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Used my Merkel .500 last month to take a trophy elephant in Namibia. First DR owned. One shot. Satisfied.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Neophytes!!! Don't they know that the elephant/buffalo/hippo will hear the "ping" of the ejectors and zero in on the hunter's location with a deadly charge, killing him, the PH, and the trackers and thereby messing up the countryside?!!!
Peter.

I see these posts poking fun at the theory of the ejector "ping" alerting remaining animals in the herd quite often. The original concern was born out of the early 20th century ivory hunters attempting to take numerous animals out of the same herd before they ran off.

However, even in today's elephant hunting environment, there are good reasons for extractors over ejectors. I like ejectors at the range because they are slightly faster in reloading the weapon under speed conditions, as evidenced by my video that was posted a few months back. However, I HAVE been in situations, while actually hunting elephant, where I fired one shot, dropping the ele, only to have the remaining animals freeze in their tracks and attempt to find out what just happened, all the while becoming visibly agitated. This has happened to me while in very close quarters to the remaining animals and since the first shot dropped the cow successfully, I felt it important to reload that spent barrel. With the extractors on my old Merkel, I've been able to do so in complete silence, without alerting the remaining and very agitated animals. I can't do that with my VC as it has ejectors. Would the "ping" scare them off? If so, that's fine and there would be no problem. However, if it alerted them to our presence, and they took issue, as is very common when hunting cow herds, that is a different story altogether.

So yes, I'm now shooting an ejector gun, mainly due to resale value, although I don't anticipate ever selling it, but one never really knows. In all honesty, I still prefer the extractor guns for the reasons stated above and that a 1 to 1.5 second speed advantage in reloading during actual hunting conditions is less than compelling. IMO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With an ejector gun all you have to do to open it quietly is to hold your thumb over the fired case as you open the gun. I soft thump is all you hear. Then pull case out like an extractor gun. Another bad habit but it works. Forget the brass and reload!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The topic of ejector noise is a joke. I have shot multiple buffalo many times now, pinging those empties throughout.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all who thinks or want think you do not need an ejector, as every one can see Krieghoff now offer their DR with that option too. Why, because a DR without does not really make sense and was only promoted caused by keeping the costs of the rifle low, to get it easyier to sell. But at the end of the day many not bought their rifles because that nesseary item not build in.

And the second hand guns without ejectors will fall as soon as a new model with ejectors came on the market. I waited until Merkel offered their AE models again because the A models are useless. Now is Krieghoff on their way and I could see last Saturday onw in 8x57IRS.

Heym only offers an extrator model new in their line to get the beginner price low down in the range. But that will not bring any success.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bunoushcu:
To all who thinks or want think you do not need an ejector, as every one can see Krieghoff now offer their DR with that option too. Why, because a DR without does not really make sense and was only promoted caused by keeping the costs of the rifle low, to get it easyier to sell. But at the end of the day many not bought their rifles because that nesseary item not build in.

And the second hand guns without ejectors will fall as soon as a new model with ejectors came on the market. I waited until Merkel offered their AE models again because the A models are useless. Now is Krieghoff on their way and I could see last Saturday onw in 8x57IRS.

Heym only offers an extrator model new in their line to get the beginner price low down in the range. But that will not bring any success.

No doubt that the market prefers ejector guns to extractors. However, IMO, that is largely misguided in that many believe the extractor guns are much slower than ejectors. When queried as to why, most have responded that the extractor gun requires one to pull the brass from the chamber in the same manner as a shotgun with extractors. This simply isn't so as rotating the rifle in the hands will quickly empty the gun. At the range, the difference in timing for shooting 4 rounds with double rifles, one with ejectors and one with extractors, amounts to about 2 seconds. In the field, it matters not at all in terms of timing. I still prefer the completely silent operation of extractors for hunting although both of my current doubles have ejectors.

To put a fine point on it, I'll offer the following three video clips. These have been posted previously but they are relevant to this discussion. The first two show the timing difference between ejectors and extractors. Watch the clock reference and you'll see about 2 seconds difference between the two. The third is an extractor gun in actual use on a tuskless elephant hunt. You'll notice there were no negative aspects to the rifle's operation in this hunt due to extractors instead of ejectors.

Companies such as Heym that charge upwards of $2,500 to $4,000 for ejectors are playing right into this misconception simply because guys are willing to pay the difference, regardless of the actual cost to include the feature on the rifle. I think VC has it right in that they charge $300 for the addition of ejectors, or rather, will give you a $300 discount for building the rifle with extractors. As always however this is JMO and YMMV.

Extractor Gun:

Ejector Gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SIaSDCCEN8

Actual Elephant Hunt with Extractor Gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...esixFc9hTGGQ&index=1

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
With an ejector gun all you have to do to open it quietly is to hold your thumb over the fired case as you open the gun. I soft thump is all you hear. Then pull case out like an extractor gun. Another bad habit but it works. Forget the brass and reload!

quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
The topic of ejector noise is a joke. I have shot multiple buffalo many times now, pinging those empties throughout.

Sam, and BenKK I have both types of double rifles, and find them equal in actual operation, with no real disadvantage to the extractor rifle. The perfect double rifle in relation to extractor/ejector is the Heym with the selector switch in the forearm that allows the ejectors to be blocked leaving the rifle with extractor, or ejector. There are times when either is useful, like on the range working up loads, the extractor is better to avoid damaging or losing valuable brass. In competition ejectors are slightly faster but only enough that it has to be measured with a very accurate stop watch.

On the “PING” thing, BenKK is entitled to his opinion, but there was a real reason old elephant hunters chose the extractor rifles, and it wasn’t cost! The ivory hunters wanted to take as many elephant from a herd as they could. This was especially valuable when the elephant were congregated it thick jess. The elephant were not as bothered by the shot as they were forming around the downed elephant wondering what had just happened.

The POP of the shot did not worry them because in this type of terrain the elephants snapping limbs off trees makes the same sound a gun shot. However, the very metallic sounds of the “PING” and ejectors being re-set on closing did set them off and pinpointed the shooter. Today we don’t shoot multiple elephant so the rest running away after one is shot is far more likely when hunting bulls, and is a plus.

However when hunting tuskless cows if you are pinpointed in thick cover you could very well be in for a multiple charge, because cows tend to prepare to fend off anything that might endanger any calves in the cow herd so do not just take off like bulls usually do.

In the case of Cape buffalo this is not a negative factor! Any metallic sound my cause the buffalo to flee before you can get off a standing shot, but once shot, and not killed a buffalo doesn’t seem to be bothered in the least by metallic sounds, and depend on his eyes to find you, and the rest of the herd will be heading for distant climes.

In the final analysis the “CLICKS” and “PINGS” are still a valid concern when hunting tuskless cows in heavy cover where you must get very close and are unable to see the whole herd.

Of course it is simply up to the individual which way he wants his/her double rifle to be fitted, but if you are thinking about doing a lot of cow ele hunting I'd like extractors. As I've already said I have both and both work for me!

………………………………………………………………………………………………..................................... coffee.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day MacD37, fair point, Sir! Cheers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let them ping over your shoulder and if it causes a charge just shoot more elephant!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Let them ping over your shoulder and if it causes a charge just shoot more elephant!

rotflmo

Got no real problem with that one either!!! jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just shoot more elephant!

That could get VERY expensive in a real hurry!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l know this is a Merkel thread. And dont want to go off topic. ls it all ejector rifles that make the "ping" or just the Merkels. And do you get the same ejector noise with the falling block rifles like the Bradshaws??

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Every ejector rifle I've shot goes "ping".

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bunoushcu:

bunoushcu, You are simply wrong in most of your claims. First there is no A model from Merkel, and ejectors have been offered in Merkel double rifles for many, many years, in the models chambered for cartridges up to 9.3X74R. That rifle is a model 140E-1. Only the 140-2 and the 140-2.2 chambered for 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 470NE, and 500NE came with extractors, all others were offered with Ejectors as an option. I happen to own a 140E- 1 chambered for 9.3X74R with selective ejectors that I bought over 11 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

No doubt that the market prefers ejector guns to extractors. However, IMO, that is largely misguided in that many believe the extractor guns are much slower than ejectors. When queried as to why, most have responded that the extractor gun requires one to pull the brass from the chamber in the same manner as a shotgun with extractors. This simply isn't so as rotating the rifle in the hands will quickly empty the gun. At the range, the difference in timing for shooting 4 rounds with double rifles, one with ejectors and one with extractors, amounts to about 2 seconds. In the field, it matters not at all in terms of timing. I still prefer the completely silent operation of extractors for hunting although both of my current doubles have ejectors.

As Todd says there is little difference in the speed of effecting a re-load as far as speed goes. I doubt that the difference is even 2 seconds. Forgetting an auto safety and trying to fire shot three after a reload in an ejector rifle and having to stop and release the safety, and shoot will cost only 1 second, and a re-load in an extractor rifle fitted with a manual safety would take no longer. The key is your drill in dumping the empties, and how you carry your ammo for a quick re-load. Ejectors are nice if you have to have them, but to say a double rifle is “USELESS” because it is an extractor rifle is just plain WRONG!

.................................................................... BOOM......... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd's videos were very interesting. I still think that his reloads might be quicker if the two new rounds were on his RIGHT wrist (as opposed to his left waist) or on the stock. Still, an excellent demonstration.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Peter, the reloads would be faster if I placed cartridge 3 & 4 on the right wrist. Mac and I have debated that often. However, in my hunting experiences, I've always carried the spare cartridges in my belt. As demonstrated in the ele video clip, in actual field use, carrying and reloading from the belt was no disadvantage in terms of getting shots 3 and 4 onto the target. Therefore, from my old military days, I fight like I train, or in reverse, I train like I fight, so to speak! Smiler From that, I've resisted the move to put two cartridges on a wrist band or into the back of my glove simply because it seems using the belt in the field is more than adequate in terms of getting the reload done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Merkels, they feel good and shoot good, at least the ones I have played with did..

I might buy a std. model in 500 as they sell used for a pretty good price, I have seen them for less than $6500 on ocassions, so that would be a steal IMO...

But if I was going to spend $14,000 for a double, you can bet your bottom dollar it would be an English rifle if for no other reason than resale down the road..I never owned a double rifle by a major English manufacturer that I didn't sell for double what I paid for it within one to five years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I like the Merkels, they feel good and shoot good, at least the ones I have played with did..

I might buy a std. model in 500 as they sell used for a pretty good price, I have seen them for less than $6500 on ocassions, so that would be a steal IMO...

But if I was going to spend $14,000 for a double, you can bet your bottom dollar it would be an English rifle if for no other reason than resale down the road..I never owned a double rifle by a major English manufacturer that I didn't sell for double what I paid for it within one to five years..

If you can find "an English rifle" for 14K please let us know if you decide to pass on it..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, your point is well taken. I was only referring to the speed issue. BTW it looks like your shots were better (more accurate) than the bolt rifle shots!
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd, your point is well taken. I was only referring to the speed issue. BTW it looks like your shots were better (more accurate) than the bolt rifle shots!
Peter

Understood Peter. And I completely agree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, do you own an ejector gun? Seeing as you like to put things to the test, perhaps a video showing 4 rounds from an ejector gun vs. 4 from an extractor??? Then we can try a side by side with a Blaser magnum (see other forum) and a double!!!
Boy am I good at suggesting things for other people to do!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

If you can find "an English rifle" for 14K please let us know if you decide to pass on it..

BUEHLER? BUEHLER?........

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd, do you own an ejector gun? Seeing as you like to put things to the test, perhaps a video showing 4 rounds from an ejector gun vs. 4 from an extractor??? Then we can try a side by side with a Blaser magnum (see other forum) and a double!!!
Boy am I good at suggesting things for other people to do!
Peter.

Peter, yes, I do own two ejector guns. The rifle you saw in the second video is an ejector gun. The rifle in the first is the extractor Merkel, which I no longer own. The best I can do is show those two videos together and you can watch the time code on each. The ejector gun was about 2 seconds faster. However, the time between filming the two clips is about 1 year. Lots of practice in that time. I think I'm a bit faster now in getting the cartridges from the belt and into the gun. I could probably close that 2 second gap a little but I don't own an extractor gun any longer.

About the Blaser ... I'm only interested in real rifles. Not odd experimental contraptions that are likely to blow up in the shooter's face! sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only interested in real rifles. Not odd experimental contraptions that are likely to blow up in the shooter's face! sofa

Todd, now that's the safe course to take...rely on the technology of a time when the only way to get more than one shot out of a rifle was to weld 2 of them together :-)

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a true charge on an animal that has not slowed down I really do not think extractor or ejector matters. You get a chance at two aimed shots. If you need three shots you might get that off with a bolt. How you handle the first shot is the most important thing in the string of events to follow. Reloading of an empty rifle is not something you may have time to accomplish. This is especially true with elephants as the range you start the ordeal is normally quite close. On a serious charge you can only depend on whatever ammo is in the gun.