THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Terry Wieland Sues Geoff Miller and Cali'Rigby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Wieland Sues Geoff Miller and Cali'Rigby
 Login/Join

posted
This just got taken down off the Africa Forum wrong place I supose.
Was it you Saeed ? Doesent seem your style ?

Found this on Nitro Express

http://dockets.justia.com/dock...2100/case_id-103980/

Here's a copy/paste from the linked page.
Visit the link for more details (if/when it works for you)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wieland v. John Rigby & Co. [Gunmakers], Inc. et al
Plaintiff: Terry Wieland
Defendant: John Rigby & Co. [Gunmakers], Inc. and Geoffrey D. Miller

Case Number: 4:2009cv02100
Filed: December 23, 2009

Court: Missouri Eastern District Court
Office: St. Louis Office [ Court Info ]
County: Jefferson

Nature of Suit: Torts - Injury - Assault, Libel, and Slander
Cause: 28:1332 Diversity-Libel,Assault,Slander
Jurisdiction: Diversity
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff
Amount Demanded: $75,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Given Millers behaviour I am suprised it took so long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mintyman:
This just got taken down off the Africa Forum wrong place I supose.
Was it you Saeed ? Doesent seem your style ?

Found this on Nitro Express

http://dockets.justia.com/dock...2100/case_id-103980/

Here's a copy/paste from the linked page.
Visit the link for more details (if/when it works for you)

Quote:

Wieland v. John Rigby & Co. [Gunmakers], Inc. et al
Plaintiff: Terry Wieland
Defendant: John Rigby & Co. [Gunmakers], Inc. and Geoffrey D. Miller

Case Number: 4:2009cv02100
Filed: December 23, 2009

Court: Missouri Eastern District Court
Office: St. Louis Office [ Court Info ]
County: Jefferson

Nature of Suit: Torts - Injury - Assault, Libel, and Slander
Cause: 28:1332 Diversity-Libel,Assault,Slander
Jurisdiction: Diversity
Jury Demanded By: Plaintiff
Amount Demanded: $75,000.00

Given Millers behaviour I am suprised it took so long.

I would want to hear what is going on!
Hans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened?

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well it doesn't have anything to do with african hunting does it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Terry will still portray the CA Rigby doubles as the Cat's Ass. It was obvious to me after reading his book that Terry was pushing the guns. I wonder what he was getting back in return?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I wonder if Terry will still portray the CA Rigby doubles as the Cat's Ass. It was obvious to me after reading his book that Terry was pushing the guns. I wonder what he was getting back in return?

My thoughts exactly! Gives little credibility to anything he says now about the London firm as well. Its all bullshit in the end.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SINNER:
quote:

My thoughts exactly! Gives little credibility to anything he says now about the London firm as well. Its all bullshit in the end.

I think this is a perfect example of a habit most gun writers have. They write about things they do not understand, and folks take their wrtings to be gospel simply because they are gun writers. Very few Americans, really understand double rifles, and Gun writers are at the top of that list, with 90% of the well known gunsmiths, and well know bolt rifle shooters/so-called handloading developers.

I would say that the people on this website, and NE website by percentage have a far better understanding of double rifles, and how they work than most of the list of folks above.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently a libel action concerning some published comments. In front of District Judge Jean Hamilton. I am acquainted with the attorney for Wieland. I have practiced before this judge for many years.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This ($75000.00) should just about cover the cost of one of those Rigby doubles also known as the Cat's Ass Rigby. Makes you wonder doesn’t it. beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

I think this is a perfect example of a habit most gun writers have. They write about things they do not understand, and folks take their wrtings to be gospel simply because they are gun writers. Very few Americans, really understand double rifles, and Gun writers are at the top of that list,

I would say that the people on this website, and NE website by percentage have a far better understanding of double rifles, and how they work than most of the list of folks above.

That is one profound statement

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lawsuit is a libel action in which Wieland alleges that Miller made a false statement, on a website, concerning Wieland's purchase/acquisition of one of Miller's firearms. Wieland is alleging Miller's comments as false, according to the lawsuit.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
The lawsuit is a libel action in which Wieland alleges that Miller made a false statement, on a website, concerning Wieland's purchase/acquisition of one of Miller's firearms. Wieland is alleging Miller's comments as false, according to the lawsuit.

Thanks, Dutch. That's what I thought it was about. It looks like it's about what was posted on the americanrifleman.org blog.

Here is the article by Cameron Hopkins about the two Rigby's posted on the blog:

http://www.americanrifleman.or...e.aspx?id=1974&cid=3

And here is Miller's response:

http://www.americanrifleman.or....aspx?id=2011&cid=25

He says Wieland has a rifle that he will neither return nor pay for. That would tend to piss one off if not true.
------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that will take about two minutes to substantiate one way or the other in court. Serial Number of the DR and a copy of the delivery paperwork to an FFL holder should do it. We know how anal California is about tracking firearms. Subpoena the bank records of both and enter into the record. Somebody either paid for it or not, and somebody still has the rifle, or not. That said, I would love to be there to hear that days testimony.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect it will get into the question of whether Weiland was sold the rifle or loaned it. If sold, whether he was supposed to pay for the rifle with cash or services. If services, whether he has delivered them or not. Perhaps whether the rifles was supposed to be payment for services previously rendered. That would make it a contract dispute at its core.

Determine the results of the contract dispute and that will determine whether Miller was telling the facts or not. Might not settle the issue of whether, if Miller's comment is not fact, it was intentional mistatement or, if so, the issue of whther Weiland is a "public figure."

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Will you repeat that one more time?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quoting Wieland:

"Altogether, my conclusion is that the new London Rigby is very much for real, and they are making genuine products,” the author of six books and an expert on the English gun trade concluded.

As journalistic fortune would have it, Wieland also visited “California Rigby” so he could make a comparison. "I was shocked," Wieland said. "There was a total lack of traditional gunmaking."

I am still of that observation, that Senor Millers DRs could be some of the finest swat-rifles ever made, fitted to Beverly Hills patrol units patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
That is one profound statement

................. Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

guess you hadn't heard: Phil and Terry exchange handwritten Christmas Cards every year!

Rich
har-har!!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You paint with much too wide a brush.

Idaho,

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
Mac,

TT

Opinions very, and It seems we disagree!

If the brush didn't get paint on you,why the concern? coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . I would not assume that the brush did not inadvertently, unintentionally and unjustifiably splatter a little paint on the gentleman. I realize that you qualified the statement with "most" so you did not intend to pick up "all" but perhaps the gentleman takes issue even with the word "most". Just a thought.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I believe that Mac was stating that there is a good knowledge base of AR individuals about double rifles. I would agree!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question. So if a guy does a little research that anyone could do, then he rights a book based on his research, then puts in a few opinions of his own. Does this make him an expert.
If there is anyone that you should listen to on this forum about old English rifles, it's Mark (400 Nitro Express). He could take both persons in question to school.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

quote:

If there is anyone that you should listen to on this forum about old English rifles, it's Mark (400 Nitro Express). He could take both persons in question to school.

I agree.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As do I.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there anyone out there who lives in Missouri near the Eastern District Court? Terry's actual suit is a public record and anyone could drop by next week and get a copy and post it here for everyone to read.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So American Rifleman pulled the blog comments of Hopkins and?or Weeweeland, but Miller's self-righteously riotously indignant statements are still accessible?
Sorry I missed the former.
Here is the latter:

In reference to article on the American Rifleman blog concerning “Rigby vs Rigby; the Proof is in the Gun”. I like to state for the record that both Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Wieland have personal issues with me and for that reason and no other have decided to defame John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers), Inc., its products and its personnel when the facts completely negate their statements in the blog. If one wishes to see how we regulate our guns I would refer them to Winter 2002 Double Gun Journal which deals exclusively with how we regulate double rifles.

Further, I would refer you to the Shooting Times Guide to Accuracy published this year with an article written by Terry Wieland who essentially cites us (Rigby) as the expert on regulating double guns. Further I would also refer you to Mr. Wieland’s book on Dangerous Game Rifles, page 6A where he states that the rifle we built him is “uncompromising Best Quality rifle”. Which, incidentally, he has refused to return or pay for.

The fact is we are considered the Premier Rifle Builder in this country and perhaps the world and have many letters from many satisfied clients to that effect. While I refuse to lower myself to their level and issue a bunch of personal attacks I would welcome anyone who has any curiosity about this situation to contact me at John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers), Inc. 805.227.4236 and I would be glad to discuss any aspect of the situation with you.

As a final word we do have every possible example of the name registered in the United States and the U.K. and have filed suit both in Federal Court here and in the English Court system ……documentation is a matter of public record.

Geoff Miller
Managing Director
John Rigby & Co. (Gunmakers), Inc.

* Send to Friend
* Share This

* Join NRA
* Media Tools
* Privacy Policy
* NRA Publications
* Contact Us
* Warnings
* FAQs
* © 2010 National Rifle Association

DRG says: "Kiss my liberal grits!" animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wieland and Miller are acting like a couple of teenage girls, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

+1, I have been meaning to post the same thing for several days. Neither side comes out a winner in these sorts of pissing contests.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact is we are considered the Premier Rifle Builder in this country and perhaps the world

"Premier Rifle Builder"?

Excuse me? By whom? Have I just returned from a long journey outside of our solar system?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s funny. Rumor has it that Terry's girlfriend gave him the boot and then shacked up with Geoff and is still there today. I guess this all came to a head at the SCI convention when Terry confronted Geoff in the CA Rigby booth. Word is that it became quite the public spectacle. If this is all true (I was not at the show but heard from a very good source) I expect there is quite a bit more to this spat than what appears on the surface. I bet this trial will be a good show!

Soooo…regardless of the quality of the product, Geoff obviously appears to know how to handle his gun…..at least from a woman’s point of view!

shocker

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron vella:
quote:
The fact is we are considered the Premier Rifle Builder in this country and perhaps the world

"Premier Rifle Builder"?

Excuse me? By whom? Have I just returned from a long journey outside of our solar system?

In Terry's own words from Dangerous Game rifles "This rifle is an uncompromising 'best' quality rifle" commenting on a double built by Rigby in California.

It seems that at one time Terry agreed with Geoff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh My!

quote:
quote:

That’s funny. Rumor has it that Terry's girlfriend gave him the boot and then shacked up with Geoff and is still there today. I guess this all came to a head at the SCI convention when Terry confronted Geoff in the CA Rigby booth. Word is that it became quite the public spectacle. If this is all true (I was not at the show but heard from a very good source) I expect there is quite a bit more to this spat than what appears on the surface. I bet this trial will be a good show!

Soooo…regardless of the quality of the product, Geoff obviously appears to know how to handle his gun…..at least from a woman’s point of view!

shocker

...oooohh my..!

The spectacle.
The drama.
What a tangled web's been woven...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
Mac,

TT

Opinions very, and It seems we disagree!

If the brush didn't get paint on you,why the concern? coffee

Mike, and all guests here the quotes above are my own, and I think I need to comment on my participation in this thread!
After some thought, and some off line communications with one member of AR, it has been made clear to me that my “WIDE BRUSH” comment was ill advised, and could have been better phrased to get my meaning across. Though the base meaning wasn’t made clear, by my post and surely jolted some nerves because of that fact, I could make the real message clear, but in the interest of my not hijacking this thread further, I will simply fade into the back ground, and leave it to the rank and file of those still posting on this thread.
………………………….I sincerely regret the wording of my post if not the real meaning of it!
………………………………………….. killpc

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:

..are NOT!

Big Grin

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lady switching bed partners has historically created problems. You might recall a lady named Helen... Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dated a Helen once. School guidance counselor and Phd Psychologist. Man did that make for some interesting disagreements. My one chance to be a Boy-Toy and I blew it. Literally, and figuratively...

Rich

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I dated a Helen once. School guidance counselor and Phd Psychologist. Man did that make for some interesting disagreements. My one chance to be a Boy-Toy and I blew it. Literally, and figuratively...

Rich

Rich,

You're so colorful! I love it!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what you can parlay a well misspent youth into by age sixty: colorful.

thanks,

Rich