THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450 3 1/4 Butch Searcy Finally Arrived
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 3 1/4 Butch Searcy Finally Arrived
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted
Thanks for all of the help from the forum members in helping me work through Caliber and Manufacturer choices last year! I picked up my Searcy PH in 450 3 1/4 from my local FFL yesterday. Fit and finish are very good and the final weight was 10Lb 2 Oz. This should be a good compromize in ease on the shoulder and still being able to carry the rifle all day. I will post a couple of pictures in the next day or two and provide a range report when I can get it out. It was regulated with the Hornady factory ammo and at $82/box it seems like a bargain compared to some other calibers out there. It will get a proper initiations in July chasing after a trophy bull elephant in Zim. Good luck to everyone heading to Dallas and SCI... Wink

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
It should amaze you at the regulation...
and the light recoil

Butch makes GREAT guns

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Highbrass, on your new Searcy double rifle! As jeffeosso says you will be impressed with the regulation on Butch's rifles. The 450NE 3.25" is the cartridge that started the whole smokeless thing in Double rifles, and is the standard all chamberings under 500NE are judged by!
In addtion there is no end to the bullets available for loading that round. One of my all time favorites!

...........Again congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new rifle and great decision on caliber. beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
We look forward to the pictures and range reports.

The PH model seems very sensible.

Butch is the real deal - one of the good guys.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.... beer

Look forward to pics

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Yessssss. And pics please. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
We know what the rifle will look like!
I want to see what it'll do!

PICTURES of the targets Please!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highbrass, I have it's twin...PM me and we'll chat....I can give you some insight.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we look forward to the pictures and range reports.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Have not had the rifle out to the range and it may not be till next weekend... weather forecast for the end of this week is in the teens and it looks like we are warming back up the following week. I will post the targets...and put up a couple of pics... Butch did a nice job with the rifle and now I have to do my part and learn how to handle it well. I will be shooting factory Hornady ammo for awhile as that is what was used to regulate the rifle but any suggestions are welcome.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Highbrass,

Congrats on your boomer... Don't worry about getting serious with the cold weather.. Have carried my 450#2 thru snow and cold north of you deer and bear hunting...
Get out there and christen that rifle... After your trip to Zim, there is the Vintagers at Pintail Point...
Any questions give me a hoot...

The best,

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,

Have been out of the loop for about a week... Once Duck season is wrapped up this weekend I will be turning my attention to getting use to the double! Hope all is well