THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    spr22 45/70 Two more available for sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

spr22 45/70 Two more available for sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen: We have two more remington spr22 doubles in 45/70 for sale. Willalso post in classified. Cheers, Luke 719-543-7755 lukeswoveland@hotmail.com

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen of the jury, if this thing is rechambered to 450 N°2, do you have an express rifle useable in Africa?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Wink, I'd be very reluctant to rechamber this rifle to any of the NE cases that are larger than the 45-70, and one must be very careful how he loads the 45-70! Eeker

I will likely buy one of the 45-70s, but will remove the barrels, and replace them with a pair of 20" .308 bore tubes, and chamber it for 30-30 Win, and regulate it for Factory 150 gr Winchester ammo! I want it for a canoe rifle that I don't have to worry about getting it wet, or dirty, and if capsize the canoe in rough water, and loose it, I haven't lost much! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Couldn't you have said something like, "It'll take the 500 NE no sweat but the 450 N°2 would be the prudent way to go."? What a killjoy. Turn it into a 30-30? Are the hippos really that small where you go canoeing?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, I must agree with MacD37. I would not rechamber, but rather load and experiment till you get it shooting well, and then just enjoy your 45/70. Cheers, LUKE

Posts: 363 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you really think Mac? By the way, I agree.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I guess it was too good a dream to be true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It IS a dream come true for those of us that will never afford Africa or expensive express rifles ! Here's to simple pleasures !

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, any double rifle is better than no double rifle!

In this case it is simply that this little rifle is not a good plateform to build a 450NE #2 or even a 450NE 3 1/4". There have already been problems with the 30-06 versions, and the 450#2 case is built on the 500 NE basic case as is the 475 #2. That case has too large diameter for re-chambering in this little rifle. It would leave the chamber walls in the mono-block barrel set too thin.

left as is or going smaller, and/or lower pressure is the way to go, if you don't want what the factory offers in this little rifle. The 30-30 will give the barrel's chamber walls a boost in thickness,by rebarreling,even over the 45-70, and the rimmed case ifs better suited to a double than the 30-06's rimmless case, and the pressures are several thousands less than the 06. The 45-70 has to be head to the trapdoor Springfield pressures in this rifle. By thickening the walls, and reduceing the pressure, you can make a real decent rifle out of this thing. Why Remington didn't insist on the 30-30 instead of the 06 to begine with, is beyond me!!

quote:
by Wink
Turn it into a 30-30? Are the hippos really that small where you go canoeing?

The Hippos where I canoe are wild feral hogs, and whitetail deer! Sorry about spoiling your dream! In this I think it was a pipe dream! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mac: Even better would have been .303 British.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WINK, don't let the naysayers and fearful stop you from your dream.

i'll even loan you the 450 # 2 reamer to get the job going.

just return it BEFORE you test fire the rifle, ok.

plan to put 2 # of recoil reducers in the butt and a sorbathane recoil pad -
all that should raise the weight and dampen the recoil.

then write us a report on how it worked out.

good luck on your project
tom

ps - i also have a 45-120 reamer too if you wanted to open it to an american equivalent of
the british 450 straight case capacity....and i have the 450 xtraight reamer too.
so you have lots of choices.

get crackin laddie- mac d is anxious to know how it works.

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mac d - you better check your cartridges of the world to verify your statement that the 450 #2 and 475 are on 500 basic.

it may be possible to make ammo from the 500 basic but i doubt it. i believe you'll find that both the cases you mention are their own mother case....not made from something else.

re: mac d 30 -30 RE MAC D 30 - 30

why not buy a 30-06 and have a gunsmith plug the chambers and re chamber them to 30-30, 303 british or even better 30 r blaser 30 r blaser ?

then you'd have a real rifle, not a texas jackrabbit popper in " thuty thuty"

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the barrels taper too soon for a 45-120 on the gun to be safe. Be warned...

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
mac d - you better check your cartridges of the world to verify your statement that the 450 #2 and 475 are on 500 basic.

it may be possible to make ammo from the 500 basic but i doubt it. i believe you'll find that both the cases you mention are their own mother case....not made from something else.

Tom I have four case sitting in front of me now! A 450#2NE,475#2NE, a 500/450#1 Express, and a 500NE! The 450#2NE , and the 475#2NE are the same case with a thick rim and bottlenecked, but otherwise a reshaped 500NE case. The 500/450#1 Express case is made from the 475#2 NE by shortening and thinning the rim from the front side. The only reason the 500/450#1 Express can't be made from the 500NE case is because they have a thin rim. All those rounds are made on the 500NE pattern. It is true that the 450#2, and the 475#2 were made with a thicker rim, and with heavier walls, because of the problem they were haveing with extraction with the first effort made dirrectly from the existing 500 brass,I have a westley Richards 500/450#1 Express double, and I make my brass from the 475#2, or 450#2 brass! All those rounds, and many others are made on the 500NE pattern, with minor changes to suit the individual cartridge needs.

In any event the 450#2 NE case is too fat in the body for use in the little Remington, Period!

quote:
why not buy a 30-06 and have a gunsmith plug the chambers and re chamber them to 30-30, 303 british or even better 30 r blaser 30 r blaser ?

then you'd have a real rifle, not a texas jackrabbit popper in " thuty thuty"

The 30-06 is giveing problems with pressure, and the 30 Blaser doesn't help that problem. And even if the pressure wasn't a problem in the rifle, it certainly would be in a relined chamber! Now! tell me how many country store would you find 30 Blaser ammo in, or for that matter, 303 Britt? Tom I'd like you to name even one cartridge that has taken more game, or iseasier to get in North America than the .22 LR, and the 30-30 Win, from jackrabbit to Moose! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
IF you wanted to rechamber, the 45/120 is the only way to go... you can buy 100 pieces of brass, the reamer, and dies for the cost of NE dies.

if tommy states it as a fact you can be certain.....
that he's dead wrong

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
OK, I was pipe-dreaming, but is there a 45/70 double rifle that could be rechambered to 450 N° 2 safely? The Pedersoli hammer double for instance?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
other than the name on the brass, no real difference between them, the 450ne and the 45/120 .. except the price of consumables

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all, new to this forum, I recently purchased a SPR 45-70 and 30-06. In reading I see the suggestion of plugging the chamber on the 30-06 and re-chambering to 30-30 Winchester. Not being well versed in this arena, please provide more details. The main question I have is the overall lenght of the 30-06 compared to the 30-30. Is that going to pose a problem, if not could some suggest who I might contact to do such a conversion? Graet Forum

wcf

Posts: 2 | Location: cusseta georgia | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,
McKool's in Tulsa has done several Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70's to 450#2NE, and claim that they have regulated well. I purchased a new Pedersoli double with this in mind. I never had it rechambered though, and I am now thinking of selling it and buying a hammerless double. I am left handed and need to find one that fits me.

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
OK, I was pipe-dreaming, but is there a 45/70 double rifle that could be rechambered to 450 N° 2 safely? The Pedersoli hammer double for instance?

Absolutely the Pedersoli can, and has been rechambered to 450#2 NE, and to 450NE 3 1/4" with great success! I have a Pedersoli that was re-chambered to 458 RCBS, and Pwn375 re-chambered one to 450#2 NE which is now in African belonging to a PH there! The draw back to the Pedersoli is, some of them had the wedges silver brazed in, and are really hard to re-regulate if needed, after the rechembering.
I was lucky, and so was PWN375. This is about a $500 job if you don't run into a problem with regulation. These Pedersolis have enough meat in the breach end of the shoelump barrels, that will allow mono-blocking of them to re-barrel. The factory barrels are only 24" and one could cutt the barrels back from ythe muzzles, and re-regulate with a new wedge, between clean steel,
but the barrels being shor already would be even shorter yet!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always Mac you are a serious source of knowledge. beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote