New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased 100 -- 470 NE Bell brass from Buffalo arms and it came in but is stamped 470 NE Rigby. Is this bell brass. It seems to be good brass, it is at least as consistent as the much more expensive 470 Norma brass I purchased.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is made by Bell and good stuff.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
500grains:

I have a ton of 500 NE brass that is stamped "500 NE Rigby".

What are the chances that this is made by BELL?

(I also have 500 NE brass this is stamped BELL.)

Just curious.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Is Bell making brass again? The 470 brass I have from them was made years ago and is stamped 470NE Bell. Please reveal you source and cost if you don't mind.

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark:

Your brass is from Mast Technologies (the "new" Bell). Mast sold the cartridge case portion of their business to Jamison, IIRC. It seems that quite a lot of the stuff in Mast's final inventory was marked "Rigby" for some reason. My understanding is that much of their business was making brass for others, so that might explain the headstamp. It's good brass.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
500grains:

I have a ton of 500 NE brass that is stamped "500 NE Rigby".

What are the chances that this is made by BELL?

Very high. I have some .500 NE brass that is stamped rigby that was made by Bell (or Mast or whatever they called themselves at the time).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
400 & 500:

Thanks for the info! The Rigby (Jamison) stuff has served me well so far! It is indeed good stuff!

Now, I just have to get my hands on some more .577 3" stuff....

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
The last 470 NE Brass I bought from Bell was stamped Rigby.

Good to hear the "Mast" brass is being made again.

Anyone have an address for Jamison, IIRC ?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamison is, I believe, in Sturgis, SD.

Clark, what you have is Bell, no Jamison.

Although the Jamison brass is presumably being made with the machinery purchased from Mast, it isn't the same. I have no experience with it yet, but what I hear from those who have, I'd give 'em a while to get the bugs worked out. I hope they do.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the contact of Buffalo arms for the 470 Bell brass.Saved me about 30% on lot of 100.Also noticed a post on Midway having Barnes solids for $4.99 per 20;got that order off too.Don't need more at the moment but I'd rather it was in my loading room than their warehouse.I've only been on this forum for a few days but I'm really starting to enjoy this site.Should have done this long ago,but have only recently started to learn to use the computer.The kids + grandkids have been trying to get me to do this + I think I'm enjoying it.Still pretty much locked in the last century though.Am enjoying the feedback + info though,Some I already know + a lot I don't.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
I appreciate the contact of Buffalo arms for the 470 Bell brass.Saved me about 30% on lot of 100.Also noticed a post on Midway having Barnes solids for $4.99 per 20;got that order off too.Don't need more at the moment but I'd rather it was in my loading room than their warehouse.I've only been on this forum for a few days but I'm really starting to enjoy this site.Should have done this long ago,but have only recently started to learn to use the computer.The kids + grandkids have been trying to get me to do this + I think I'm enjoying it.Still pretty much locked in the last century though.Am enjoying the feedback + info though,Some I already know + a lot I don't.

Norman, welcome to AR, and the double rifle forum! A couple pieces of warning, this place is addictive, and I'd think twice about usein Barnes super solids in a double rifle, it isn't generally accepted as a safe thing to do! There are pleanty of strings here, and on the African forum dealing with this, that can be found by doing a search on Barnes solids, or Monolithic solids!

Again welcome, you'll like it here!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote