New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards 476
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a "heads up" for anyone who has been saving for a special English made double. Take a look at the Julia Auctioneers March auction. On the third page of the listings is a very nice and rare Westley Richards in 476. This is a great cartridge and really not a problem to load for. I have only seen one other 476 in the past 20 years. I was told guns in this caliber received a little extra detail when being made since it was a house proprietary cartridge. Someone on AR should own this one!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
there is a special at Midway USA on a box of 476 Woodleighs!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith was certainly fond of his 476 Westley. Quite an auction coming up.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
The one cart. I've always wanted 520 grain bullet at 2100, I think that is about perfect. The only trouble with it is it will be at least 10,000 out of my price range with that WR out in front of it.

I had a chance to buy a german gun at one time for around 12,000. It was not in great shape but very serciveable.

Good luck to anyone bidding!

505ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the lot # of the WR?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
The Westley Richards is lot number 1386. Here is its description:

*BEAUTIFUL MASSIVE WESTLEY RICHARDS DBL RIFLE. Cal. 476 Nitro Express. SN T8279. Massive dbl dangerous game rifle made in 1923 with 26" bbls having a flat matted rib with pedestal front sight & 5-leaf, platinum line express rear sight marked "100" to "500". Bbls are marked with maker's name & address, cal & loading data (75/520 GRS). It has a doll's head extension with third bite, dbl under lugs, with boxlock, and automatic ejectors & dbl triggers. Receiver has rounded edges with a sgl rib behind each fence & has about 50% coverage beautiful foliate arabesque patterns with feather border engraving. The bottom floorplate finely engraved "Expressly Manufactured for D. N. Biswas & Co Calcutta". It has conventional latching system with "SAFE" in gold on top tang. Bottom tang extends all the way to grip cap. Mounted with straight grain English walnut with heavy checkered splinter forearm with horn insert & pistol grip stock with raised side panels, 14-1/2" over a thin smooth solid red pad. Stock & bbls have sling eyes. This cartridge was developed in early 20th century for African & Indian dangerous game & is suitable for anything up to & including elephant & rhinoceros. Complete in maker’s case with trade label. Accompanied by a pair of Westley Richards snap caps. Drop at heel: 1-5/8", drop at comb: 1-5/8". Weight: 11 lbs. 13.12 oz. CONDITION: Fine to very fine. Bbls retain 75-80% orig blue turning plum, thin over carry point & about forearm. Receiver retains about 90% strong orig case colors, brilliant in sheltered areas. Opening lever & floorplate retain most of their orig blue, somewhat thin on floorplate. Trigger guard retains about 50% thinning orig blue with balance turned silver & with some scattered pitting. Bbl flats, under right bbl, have an area of deep pitting with some light pitting on left side, visible on right outside just above water table. Wood is sound with minor handling & storage nicks & scratches with forearm, a dark oil stained patina, & buttstock retaining most of a its orig restored finish. Mechanics are crisp, very bright shiny bore. Case has been modified and repaired over the years and currently has some imperfections. 4-58341 (17,500-27,500)

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!!

If Butch Searchy could built a rifle like those lines this gun has there, I would be a
Butch fan. I have seen some of the rifles he has made so far, and most of them are made for the
John Q Citizen....straight line stock with no heel drop and a railroadsleepersbeavertail forend Big Grin a real Model 70 double(hahaha)

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Searcy makes his stocks to the customers dimensions. If you want more drop than the previous guy thats your choice. Of course you're limited if you're in the used market to what the fellows who had them built wanted. But it sure is easier to take off wood for more drop than to add it. Cutiing back a forarm isn't to tough either.

JPK

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Butch really doesn't like beaver fore ends and only puts them on his rifles at the customers request. Yes the PH model is made for John Q Citizen....It is supposed to be! Get a clue.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a beautiful 476 Westley Richards in the original leather case. The gun was perfect and was one of the best doubles I ever owned. I sold it to Westley Richards after Simon begged me to let him have it. I have kicked myself ever since. I have tried to find out who has it so I can buy it back but no luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it might be a nice rifle.

Rifles in this caliber are scarce. I've never understood why Westley built so few of their doubles in the .450/.470 class in their own proprietary caliber. They built far more .470s, and probably more .465s, than they did .476s.

Not many of the few that were built are still .476s. When the British gunmakers were raiding the great collections of the Maharajas in the '50s, '60s and 70s, refurbishing the guns and retailing them, the .476s were mostly rechambered and reproved to .470. The .476 was one of the first cartridges that Kynoch dropped after WWII, so .476 ammo was a serious problem. The .470 remained in production until 1972, so stocks of that caliber remained good. Rechambering them increased their value in those days. That's a pity, as the .476 is probably the best of the .450/.470 group.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:

"That's a pity, as the .476 is probably the best of the .450/.470 group."

Please tell us WHY this is so! Thanks 400

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heaviest bullet, best sectional density.
------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about pressure, velocity, etc? Is it the 450 3 1/4 opened to shoot a .476 bullet?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Specs are 75 grains Cordite and a 520 grain bullet at 2100 fps for 16 tons bolt thrust. The case is the basic .500, with a length of 3".
-----------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Elmer Keith was certainly fond of his 476 Westley. Quite an auction coming up.

OL' ELMER knew a thing or two and was right on with the .476 even if the bullets he used in it was crap by today's standards. Not many .476's around if I remember correctly I have only ahd a chance at 2 in 35+ years of messing around with doubles. Most were altered to .470. I've been tempted to try those 520 grainers in the .470, but there is that .001 or 2 going the other way so I haven't had the courage yet.

Depends on the depth and amount of pitting on the rifle listed as to just how good it is to buy.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people don't know it but Elmer had two WR 476s. I had the oppurtunity to handle both at his house. If memory serves me right they were not a matched pair. But I could be wrong on that.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote