Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I was thinking about ordering some Hawk Bullets for my .470 and I was wondering if anyone has tried them in their double? I was also wondering which jacket thickness (.050 or .065) would be best? Anyone have any suggestions?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get your wounded leopard gear on. Big Grin
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have shot lots of Hawk .408" bullets in my 40-70ss Sharps rifles. They kill extremely well. There is something about that pure copper jacket and pure lead core that performs better than you can imagine. Of course, they are an expanding bullet but they hang together well.

I am willing to bet they would work on any big game animal that requires an expanding bullet.

josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave: I've used Hawk bullets in .450 and .500 doubles without any problems whatever. The jacket is easy on older barrels, and the bullets hold together well. Andy is easy to talk to, and has vast knowledge. As regards jacket thickness, I think that depends somewhat on velocity and what performance you want. The .065 at low velocity will act somewhat like a solid, where a thinner jacket will open more at the same velocity. Andy can help with that. Good luck1

Posts: 142 | Location: chicago | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 285 Hawk with the .035jkt in my 9,3x74R, on deer, wild pigs, impala, and baboon.

In my 450/400 I have shot the 300gr .025jkt on deer and wild pigs, and shot one pig with a 400gr .035jkt.

Hawk bullets are great killers. Only one animal has moved after being hit with a Hawk bullet.

What game are you wanting to use them for?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I am guessing that if you want typical 470 velocity, (blaser 470?) 2050fps to 2200fps that you would want the .065 jacket thickness in a 500gr bullet. If you are going to 550grs the lighter jacket would probably be fine, too.

Go shoot a buffalo with them and let us know how they work.

josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great success with them in 450 B.P. guns. They kill like lightning.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have used the 285 Hawk with the .035jkt in my 9,3x74R, on deer, wild pigs, impala, and baboon.

In my 450/400 I have shot the 300gr .025jkt on deer and wild pigs, and shot one pig with a 400gr .035jkt.

Hawk bullets are great killers. Only one animal has moved after being hit with a Hawk bullet.

What game are you wanting to use them for?

More than likely, they would be used on a bison.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I may be in the minority here but I had bad luck with them in my 470NE. In fact I may have some left that I can sell you.

I was getting signs of pressure and accuracy was poor with my rifle. I did not experiment much with them simply because the Woodleigh worked and I saw no reason to use much else.

I never tried them on game however Tony and others I know and trust claim they work very well on pigs.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

Can you tell me what the jacket thickness is of the .470 Hawk bullets that you have? I would like to buy a few just to give them a try but I agree with you that Woodleighs do indeed work very well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe, I've shot lots of pigs with the Hawks and they do work very well. They remind me of a big old round ball from a muzzleloader. The lead will deform like crazy but not break up.

What loads did you shoot in the 470 and what did the pressure signs look like?

thanks,
josh

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Josh:

I called Andy today at Hawk Bullets and visited with him for about 15 minutes. You guys are right. He is a really nice guy to talk to and very helpful. He suggested that for my purposes (hunting bison with my .470 with a muzzle velocity of 2020) that the 500 grain bullets with the .035 jacket would be the best. I ordered two boxes. When I get them, I will try them in some wet phone books side-by-side with some Woodleighs to see how they compare.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Andy makes the bullets and he knows his stuff.

My experience with Hawk bullets is...

The jackets are DEAD SOFT...

The lead is DEAD SOFT...

SO, the bullets do NOT fragment, as they are not brittle.

What they do is mushroom to a tremendious diameter, and maintain a large percentage of weight.

And they penetrate very good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I meant by my comment:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../4711043/m/718102435

I've never had one come apart in game. I did have some erratic pressure issues with them in .400, but they work perfectly in 9.3. Just ordered a resupply.
-------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro Express:

In your 9.3, what weight did you use and what jacket thickness did you find to be the most suitable?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave:

Mine is a .400/.360 2 3/4" Purdey NE, regulated for 300 grain. Hawk makes me a 300 grain round nose. I've used both .030 and .035" jackets. Can't tell much difference. These run 2,000 fps mv, and work very well.
----------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
Dave:

Mine is a .400/.360 2 3/4" Purdey NE, regulated for 300 grain. Hawk makes me a 300 grain round nose. I've used both .030 and .035" jackets. Can't tell much difference. These run 2,000 fps mv, and work very well.
----------------------------------

Ditto 400's experience in my 400/360. They have shot very well. I use the .035 jackets. In my 470 I tried the 400gr Hawks and they did not shoot well at all.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 and 470Evans

What bore diameter are your guns ?

Are they pretty much on spec or like quite a few 400/360's,
everyone is different ?

I have a WR Droplock 400/360 with .362 bores.

The thin jacketed Hawk bullets might be good for resizing.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nigel:

Well, you know the score. Both of those rifles are from William Evans, both chambered for the Purdey round, which is supposed to be .367". Mine is from '27, and is .3635".

470Evans' first was also an Evans - from '02 or '03 - and was .364". His current one is from '26 and is .365" if I remember correctly.

The Westley's are supposed to be .360". A friend looked at a Purdey chambered gun a while back that was .369". Guess the .400/.360s are just whatever they slug. Wink
------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
Guess the .400/.360s are just whatever they slug. Wink

That's the way I look at it. They are worse than 450/400's !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote