THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What do you think of Hawk Precision Bullets?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of Hawk Precision Bullets? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
They look like an American version of the Woodliegh Weldcore.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Do you want to take this one? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks George, I got it...

in big bores
hawk bullets are excellent up to and including 2 gallon water jugs, and perhaps the lesser of the cats...

we call them hawkgrenades... I have a jacket from a 700gr 550 express bullet... that didn't go through 18 linear inches of water... (5x1 gallon jugs per section, each section about 28".. last 2 bags did NOT break)...

jacket was found on "THIS" side of a 3/4" plywood board...

So, it spit the jacket on 3/4" plywood and detonated...

hawk grenades... or how to get a bullet failure 100% of the time.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
That is very astute, and amusingly told. Got some Iron Buffalo shooting going on down Texas way? thumb

I think the .377 caliber 255 grain flat nose Hawkgrenades would be perfect for that Winchester 94 Chief Crazy Horse Commemorative in .38-55 that you never really plan to fire at anything. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overpriced crap! Figures!!! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they are fine within their limitations. Definitely not similar to the weldcore. THe owner of Hawk will tell you that his bullets will not give you maximum penetration and weight retention. They work fine for normal hunting with relatively slow and heavy for the caliber bullets. You won't win a bench rest match with them, but the ones I shot were perfectly fine for hunting.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unreliable but good preactice stuff if you get it cheap enough.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great bullets for deer...........and coyotes.......thats about it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Even at modest vel. I found the Hawks very soft & cores routinely separate, not rvrn close to a Woodleigh. Ok for practice or light game, accuracy is even pertty good out of my .404jeffery, easily hits 1.5moa w/ 350 & 400gr bullets.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hawks, being softer, seal better. I will used this in reduced North American loads for my 450/400

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Back when they were cheaper it made sense to use them for practice and vermin. They do too much meat damage for me to use them on edible game. Having said that, our collective experience is mostly big-bore. Maybe the lesser calibers work better.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There aren't a lot of options for cheap bullets for the 404. From what I have seen the Hawks may be the cheapest. Since I try to shoot my big bores once or twice a month, even if it's only 5 shots, using North Forks (unavailable in France) or any premium bullet at the outrageous prices ones pays here, makes one reticent. I think the Hawks are a fine practice bullet in the 404. I don't think I would buy them for any other caliber I presently own. This is all based on what I have read.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
There aren't a lot of options for cheap bullets for the 404. From what I have seen the Hawks may be the cheapest. Since I try to shoot my big bores once or twice a month, even if it's only 5 shots, using North Forks (unavailable in France) or any premium bullet at the outrageous prices ones pays here, makes one reticent. I think the Hawks are a fine practice bullet in the 404. I don't think I would buy them for any other caliber I presently own. This is all based on what I have read.

I think you would be better off using hard cast lead bullets for most of your practice shooting. They are also very useful for big game. At about $0.10 a piece, they are very affordable.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I think you would be better off using hard cast lead bullets for most of your practice shooting. They are also very useful for big game. At about $0.10 a piece, they are very affordable.

Which mould is the "best"? In France there are alot of days which could be categorized as "bullet casting weather" days. In fact, that's now the shorthand a couple of buddies and I use when describing bad weather, as in "have you seen the weather forecast?" "Yeah, bullet casting weather".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
They look like an American version of the Woodliegh Weldcore.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

BTW: Hawks aren't bonded core bullets like the Woodleighs.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the .366" 300 grain .030" jacket soft at 2000 fps in one of my doubles. At that velocity, well, you can't improve on perfection. Wound channels show excellent expansion and I've always gotten an exit. I've never had a failure of any kind whatsoever with them. I wouldn't choose them for applications over 2200 fps, but for ordinary game with high SD at 2000-2150 fps, they're great.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the incredible exploding bullet......In my .416 at about 2300 fps they do a lot of meat damage in hogs bordering on the impressive!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
my exploding hawk grenade story takes places with a 700gr .550, or sd .331, at 2100 more or less exactly...

SPLATTER... it didn't make 18"...

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe:

I wasn't speaking of water jugs. I was speaking of ordinary game. Not the same, not even close. They work great.

"...2100 more or less exactly..." Now Jeffe, this doesn't pass the smell test. You NEVER shoot any bullet at such contemptable speeds from a rifle. You've always insisted that if they're not going at least 3000 fps, they'll bounce off cardboard. Gimme a break. Wink moon Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
LOL!!

the max max load on the 550 express is barely 2190, the "settled" load is 2130, which is an RCH over the ME of a 577 NE, and the working loads, at that time, where right at 2100... was juggling powders, trying this and that to get the right load and density....

yes, water jugs aint game... but the jacket was spit on THIS side of plywood....

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Wink, start sizing down 300gr 44mag bullets. They make great plinking rounds, quite accurate at 100yds anyway.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

in big bores
hawk bullets are excellent up to and including 2 gallon water jugs, and perhaps the lesser of the cats...

we call them hawkgrenades... I have a jacket from a 700gr 550 express bullet... that didn't go through 18 linear inches of water... (5x1 gallon jugs per section, each section about 28".. last 2 bags did NOT break)...

jeffe

Jeff:

I am going to try some Hawk Bullets in my .470. I will test their 500 grain .035 jacket bullets in some wet phone books side-by-side with some Woodleighs and let you know how they worked.

I was wondering... In your test, what jacket thickness were you using?

Does anyone know what the jacket thickness on a 500 grain Woodleigh .470 bullet is?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I've used Hawks in several calibres and have not seen the "grenade" effect.

Though I do order the heavier jackets offered in calibre--
such as .050 & .065 in the .500 etc.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which mould is the "best"? In France there are alot of days which could be categorized as "bullet casting weather" days. In fact, that's now the shorthand a couple of buddies and I use when describing bad weather, as in "have you seen the weather forecast?" "Yeah, bullet casting weather".

I use this mould for the 404--

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/424-350-gc.jpg

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

in big bores

jeffe

I bought a bunch for the "big guns" simply for this reason. The plan is to load them "light" and have my nephews have at it against raging pumpkins, watermellons and Kool-Aid filled jugs.

I'll stand wayyyyy back!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote