THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another Cheaper Double Rifle a USG MP221, 30-03 & 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Cheaper Double Rifle a USG MP221, 30-03 & 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I was looking at this weeks specials from one of my major wholesalers. When I came across these double rifles. They are USG MP221's brand spanking new.

I have sold USG shotguns in the past and they seem to be a decent quality firearm. Now get this they are made by Baikal in Russia? What the heck??? LOL

Anyway I ordered two one in 30-06 and one in 45-70. If you are interested drop me a line.

PAHunter JCP
www.huntershut1.com

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
LOTS of folks here have them and are quite happy with their performance. Mine is a 30-06 and it shoots great!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can only assume from your post that you have resided on Mars for the past ten years. Please do a search of the Baikals on AR and you will read more than you want to know about them.
It reminds me of something my wife did a few years ago. She came home and said, Honey, they just started making a great new thing you can eat for breakfast; POP TARTS!. I said, My mother was feeding those to us in the 1960s, so they aren't new. (She is from Korea so they were new to her)
Yes, they are accurate, if a bit crudely made, rifles. I have a 06 that will shoot well into one inch at 50 yards. None of my other DRs costing a minimum of ten times more, will do that.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi DCPD

No smart ass I have not been on Mars. But the USG shotguns I sold were NOT associated with Baikal. That was the point I was trying to make. USG stands for US Sporting Goods and is the importer for Baikal.

I am not sure these are the same Double Rifles as the Baikals in question. They may be, but the Baikal name is associated with many many firearms. The small picture I see from my wholesaler does not look like the Baikals I saw at Cabelas.

Maybe you should get your head out of your ass for the past 28 years before you ridicule some body else.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Damn dude!!!!... Where did DCPD ridicule anyone ????!!!! Just take it as a little ribbing.... albeit playfully a bit rough (but, not as a personal attack)..... All he said was do a search for feedback on the brand. (There's good and bad). Don't be so on edge and ready to pounce on anyone making a comment about your purchase. Why not just take it all in stride and enjoy your rifle??? There's already one @sshole on here (by the name of shootacow... Or something like that). Relax and let's see how it goes for ya.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It was just a lame attempt at trying to be funny and I do apologize for that, but I certainly didn't try to impugn your character, as you are trying to do to mine.
What I do assure you of, is that all the MP221s that I have seen and owned, are the Baikals we all know and love.
Now, my head might indeed be up my ass, but NEVER are you allowed to disrespect my Army service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do hope we have another Shootacow, though I think they broke the mold after they made him. Maybe he is also a Master Gunsmith like Shootacow and can show us how he works on his double if it doesn't shoot right. I doubt he can entertain us with idiocy for 10 pages though. Just Kidding "About PAHunter".

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi dpcd

No harm no foul, I guess I took it the wrong way. I am not disrespecting your army service. How could I, I was 101 AB out of Fort Campbell Kentucky, I am also a VN Vet 70 & 71. No disrespect there.

My purchase of the DR's is for retail resale I am a FFL dealer and wasn't sure. No where in their add did they state that Baikal was the manufacturer that is what threw me off.

I have been on AR since 2002. I may not have thousands of posts, but I am an avid reader of multiple forums. I sold my Chapuis .470 NE double four years ago after hunting Africa twice to start my Gun Shop.

Thanks for the information.

PAH..

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a photo of what you ordered or offer a link? It would be interesting to see if the rifle is the same one a lot of us own (ed).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Snowwolfe:

I will do better than that, you will be able to see the actual pictures of the rifles that I am looking at. I will put the add up right from Davidson's in my On-Line store on my website.

I will even go one better. I will give a $25.00 Discount on either the 30-06 or the 45-70 OFF the advertised price from any member from Accurate Reloading.

I will try and put a fair price on the rifles to begin with. I did not receive them yet but should have them shortly.

I will post when they are on my website.

Regards PAH

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, But I am not a buyer as I previously owned 3 of the SxS's and 1 O/U.
I was just curious if Baikal changed anything on them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem. You can check it out when I put them up. I always liked the wood on the Baikals that I seen at Cabelas. Their store in Hamburg is only 25 miles from me. I don't know what these new rifles will look like.

That discount will go to any AR member. When this white stuff finally starts to disappear I may even do a gun test on the rifles. I will post the results on my website. Good, Bad, or indifferent.

Regards PAH.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the the you-tubes, there's already several Baikal DR's on there.

I have one too, TERRIBLE triggers and a bit clunky, but decent shooters...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do these doubles have enough meat in the chamber area to lengthen the chambers...say to 45-90, 100 or more. Seems like a nice way to get a bit more pizzazz at the same pressures, just like the old-timey smokers did by lengthening the case for more black stuff.

Just a thought.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you want a bit more 'pizzazz' it's usually better to go to a bigger caliber.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Action strength wise; yes you could rechamber them, but weight wise; it is a very bad idea, if you want to increase velocity. If you are only using black powder, then it would be fine.
My 06 has good triggers and is super accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They thin down pretty quickly in front of the chambers. Don't know that cutting them much deeper would be a good idea. They really aren't elephant guns, just a cheap way to enjoy a double rifle.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Do these doubles have enough meat in the chamber area to lengthen the chambers...say to 45-90, 100 or more. Seems like a nice way to get a bit more pizzazz at the same pressures, just like the old-timey smokers did by lengthening the case for more black stuff.

Just a thought.

I am the "father" of the 45/120 Nitro... The Norma brass is awfully close to 450 NE capacity.. And a one time, soon to be again, owner of a spartan 45/70. Also, I am something of a Recoil sponge.

No way is rifle this to be loaded sparky.. It weighs less than 7 lb and is tiny.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38658 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looking for a way to acquire a cheap double rifle.

Yeah...I have one of those 45-120's...and use Norma brass but my brass H2O volume is 128 gr at 3.23". I did mine about the same time Tykempster was doing his.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you want a cheap double, and ugly, buy one. . my only complaint was the triggers ... its fun, it works, and it weighs nada

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38658 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote