Notify
Tools

Shoot and Hoot 2009
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Proclaim it through your hosts that on May the 2nd of 2009, from 10 AM- 2 PM, in the hamlet of Juliff, Texas the not so Royal and Ancient Double Rifle Shooters Society in association with the AccurateReloading.com Big Bore Association will hold their 2nd Annual Shoot and Hoot.

The entry fee, payable when you check in, is $15.00 US. If you just show up to visit and eat lunch that's just fine, the same $15.00 US fee applies. A modest barbecue lunch of brisket with beans and potato salad will be served. Bring your own drinks! No alcohol allowed on the range! Any funds left over after covering the cost of the shoot will be donated to our host facility Bayou Rifles, Inc.

We would like to thank Bayou Rifles for allowing us to use their facility again this year. Please remember that we are guests!

This is a rifle match only. Double rifles, bolt trash, lever actions, trap doors, pump action and single shots rifles may be used. Black powder cartridge rifles are welcome. No muzzle loading rifles. Due to facility rules the following calibers can not be used, 50 BMG, any cartridge based on the 50 BMG, 408 Cheytac or 338 Laupua. Bring your own eye and ear protections. Both are required to shoot in the event.

We would ask those attending to please bring extra ammo so others, if they wish, may shoot your rifle under your supervision, to "try it out".
As we did last year, there will be tables set up to display your rifles. This is not a gun show. Tables are for display only.

The event can handle up to 50 shooters.

Course of Fire-

Stage 1- Shooter, standing, will fire 6 rounds from covered firing line at a bull's eye type target at 25 yards, for accuracy and time. In case of a tie there will be a two round shoot off.

Stage 2- Shooter standing, firing from the covered firing line will engage 2, 1 quart sized DWJ (Dangerous Water Jugs) on a wooden stand at 25 yards . .. A speed event. In case of a tie there will be a shoot off.

Awards, if any to be decided at a later date.

We all had a great time last year. We look forward to seeing and having fellowship with old and new friends alike again this year.
This event is all about having a good time!

The range is located on Juliff/Manvel Road between Texas 288 south and FM 521. Coming south on 288 look for the turn off to County Road 57 West. It is the second exit on 288 south of Highway 6.I will post a map.

GPS coordinates of the range are-
N 29 27.2005, W 95 27.002

That is all from Houston at this time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, I'm going to have to see if I can arrange some work in Houston that week.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We'll be glad to see you Frank!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

I see that I can not bring and use my 1886. If it is used as a 2 shot rifle will that meet the rules of engagement?

I tend to use more than enough gun.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doug,
of course you can.. and i'll probably need some 350s by then, again

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Doug my oversight. Lever action rifles are most certainly permitted. I will amend my post. We'd be very happy to see you.

Just no muzzle loaders.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim R and I will most likely make it. Kim is checking his days off that week.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Be sure and bring your own chair.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I shoot the same course with both a double and "bolt trash"? (as long as it's over .45 calibre)

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sure you can! We'll call .323 our minimum caliber this year.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed last years shoot. I will do my damnedest to get to this one.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang, sounds like I need to figure out a way to get to Houston about 1 May. Anybody from the Idaho area going?

Rich
maybe, just maybe, I will have my buffalo by then.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

bewildered...now somebody, wh0 was it, got an itty bitty 8mm DR, hmmmm, who was it jumping

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Uh,. . . .well, . .uh,. . .How ya feeling Keith? dancing

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Is a 500 Jeffery too small to qualify?

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Gosh that eliminates my .303 that is starting to shoot well for me.
If I make it it will have to be the 500
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Frank, bring both. thumb

The little one will not be ignored. It will not compete with the big bores , but it will be fun to see a maybe shoot a classic English small bore.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If I'm still alive I'll not miss this one!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Great news, Mac. wave

I hope to see you there.

Keith

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great news, Mac!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry i can't make it. we're heading to africa on may 6 for 24 days.

good shooting !

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
sorry i can't make it. we're heading to africa on may 6 for 24 days.

good shooting !

Good NEws Tom

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working on a plan...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
BTT

Some are asking for the map!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BRI Juliff Range

This should help.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to everyone for a wonderful time! Gosh, we had fun!

Highlight of the event for me was getting to see Berit Pace, formally know as Mrs. Finn Aagaard, shooting Finn's rifle in the competition. She and her husband Bill are wonderful folks.

37 shooter and in a crowd of over 50 people.
We look forward to trying to do another shoot later this year!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took home the Audio book set she had. I listened to it on the 7 hour drive home.

She and Finn had a very interesting start. She was quite the young lady. She was not afraid of much. She would jump in and help with the skinning or climb a tree and wait for hours while the boys would finish tracking wounded Dangerous game.

Finn spoke at length about their courtship. I found that to be the most charming part of the audio book.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I got the printed book, should have got the audio one too.

Bill and Berit are great people! thumb

Keith

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer

Bill and Berit are great people! thumb

Keith

They are indeed , sorry I missed them.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a bummer! I had to miss the shoot but I did get to meet Berit at DSC. What a neat lady. I got the book and the CD's, I just wish I could have been there.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote