New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my 470 back from Searcy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received my 470NE back from Butch Searcy today. dancing He re-regulated it and only billed me for $200 + shipping. He sent the test target with a 2" spread...left barrel left and right barrel right. Looks way better than the targets I was getting before I sent it to him.
It is supposed to keep raining for the next few days, so I don't know if I will be able to shoot paper this weekend. First damn rain we have had in 6 months, and it starts the day my rifle gets home!!!
I will post some pictures of targets soon.
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May you be well served by your
rifle for many, many years! wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the final regulation load was for your rifle?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Dave!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty & Big Five,
Thanks for the support!

MHC,
I e-mailed Butch about the regulation load and velocity, but have not heard back yet. I'm sure that it is the 500gr Woodleigh over 106gr IMR4831. We'll see...I'm sure I can get it running right now.
I'm putting in a new range closer to town with a standing rest for DR's. I'm going to sink 2 peices of 2&3/8" tubing with 3" rods sticking out and angled up...I will have the rods spaced 3" apart running up the back side of the posts. They will be level side to side. Then I can use a peice of 1.5" pipe between the posts, covered with Dupont "Armaflex" insulation. It will be adjustable vertically for different height shooters. I think it will work good...
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did your Searcy need to be re-regulated?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,
It was crossing about 4"-6" at 50yds when I bought it. I am the third owner...first owner died during shipping...second owner only fired around 20 rounds. I backed the load down all the way from 106gr to 99gr of IMR4831 and was still crossing bad. Butch said to send it to him and he would fix it. The test target shows that he has...now I just need to duplicate that pattern.
Thanks, ND

PS: I held a nice 500/465 H&H at Champlins a few months ago...left hand...I think it was priced at $57,000

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, if you want to make a standing rest that will allow shooting to the rifle's potential, you will need a bench top upon which to rest you rear elbow.

If you do a search under my name and "standing rest" you should come up with my detailed description of the one I use. From the descrittion of your plan, it wouldn't take much more to make yours an adjustable standing bench with a top upon which to lean and place your rear elbow.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK,
I remember your post on the standing bench...I'll check it out.
Have you shot the Pedersoli yet? I'm curious as to what load you get to work. I did terrible with 500gr slugs...don't think it had enough twist rate. The 350 Hornady's did good though. You mentioned trying some 405gr slugs...I'm curious how that worked...
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot a little today before the rain started again.
Here is the "test target" Butch sent back with the rifle after re-regulating it.

Here is a target I shot off a single leg shooting stick. I sucked the bead down a little tight on the left barrel, but had it about right on the right barrel. I think they would have been closer to the same level, with the same sight picture on the bead.

This is closer to what they should look like isn't it??? Big improvement over what it was printing before Butch fixed it.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about this, but while going through "photobucket", I found this picture of my daughter Sara and her buck last November. I just had to share it...

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great Deer

what distance on the testing, but yeah, pretty much spot on, unless its like 25 yards, then you have a load issue

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
The shots were at 50yds, off a single leg shooting stick. The load was Butch's standard regulation load...500gr Woodleigh softs over 106gr IMR4831.
This was Sara's first deer. She is 10 years old and took it under the "Judgement Tree". It is one of my favorite spots. May not be so good for the next few years, as the fire on the news a couple of months ago, burnt 56,800 acres...my best 6,000 acres of hunting land was in the center...looks like the moon now.
Sara has been helping me reload since she was 2 and knows more about it than most grown men...good girl!!! Wink
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking daughter, I've one too. Get ready to beat back the boys!!!

Fine deer and excellent work teaching Sara the ropes of reloading. Is

bullet casting next in the order of business?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Five,
Thanks for the kind words.
I doubt that I ever get into casting...too many hobbies now....hunting, shooting, reloading, antique cars, and yachting. You never know though...I am getting ready to sell my last old car to help finance a bigger yacht (I will always want a bigger boat), and that might free up some time in the winter months. I have a friend who casts a few pistol bullets. I need to try it sometime and see how I like it. I'm just not real big on shooting them...don't know why???
Thanks again, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE