New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy 450-400,3" owners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After talking to Mike at North fork Bullets, He needs a barrel cast of a couple of barrels so he can measure the dimensions. This is the only way we can get him to produce his high quality CPS and FNS bullets for us. He would love to have a barrel cast of the new Ruger #1 in 450-400, 3" so he can verify the dimensions of those barrels also. He will not produce the bullets until he has these casts in hand.
Please, If you have either of these two weapons and can do so, please send a barrel cast to Mike.
Thanks a lot.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mike talked to me about slugging the barrels on mine. While I am sure that slugging a barrel is pretty straight forward, when you hear the description of what you do and consider that it is a brand new rifle that you are doing it on, I must confess that I got cold feet. I wonder why Butch would not do it? One, he probably knows what he is doing. Two, it would be a service to all his .450/.400 customers. Has anyone -- a customer of his -- ever asked him?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MJines: That's a good point AND idea. I've never done one myself either, and I, too, am a little apprehensive of trying it the first time on a new $15,000. rifle. Also, another question: when I am loading a regulation load for my new Searcy (82 grains of IMR-4831), I see that the case is not completely full - a little powder rattle. Is this right, or have I mis-weighed a few loads ? And, are you other folks using any filler with this load ? I think the case is sufficiently full that it doesn't matter, but what's your thoughts ? Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike said he asked Butch to slug a barrel or two but that has not happened yet. There is nothing to it but someone has to get it done.

Frank, I have been speaking with both Ray Atkinson and Butch and they both seem to think fillers are not necessary in the 3" version. I had some Westley Richards ammo that rattled a bit when shaken so at least some of the factory stuff has some breathing room in the case.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Why don't a couple of us who bought rifles from Butch ask him to slug one. I will send him an email on Monday (although I think he may be off hunting). Would be nice if a couple of others would ask too.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I gessing correctly here that we are doing all of this so that Mike can get exact bore dimensions on "Searcy" rifles? If so, I understand.

Otherwise he'd be wise just to offer these bullets in .408 and .411 that would cover 99.9% of all .450-400s

For example, I slugged the bore on my Jeffrey's 450-400 (this took a toal of 5 min to accomplish) and got a hair over .408 as a measurement, thus I ordered Woodleighs in the apropriate diameter....

...Northfork sohuld follow suit and offer bullets in the same diameters as Woodleigh...Keep it simple!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
It is not as simple as it seems.

Because NF solid bullets only touch the barrel with the ridges, and the ridges can "fold" into the grooves, if the bullet is the least bit undersize it will not grip the rifling enough, and thus not be stabilized.

Since the shank of the bullet does not touch the barrel, and the bullets do not "slug up"
from the pressure of firing the relationship between the demensions of the bullet and barrel are fairly critical.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Or just use Woodleighs Smiler

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note I have some barnes .411 solids in classifieds.
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY ASK BUTCH FOR THE NAME OF THE BARRELMAKER.

THEY OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS WIITHOUT SOMEONE POUNDING THE HELL OUT OF HIS NEW RIFLE .

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
IIRC, these are Pacnor barrels, but I might be mistaken...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are Pac-Nor barrels. If you have any questions regarding barrel diameter please refer your questions to Pac-Nor.

The shop in Boron is very busy at the moment and they are short handed while Butch is away in Botswana. They do not have the spare people to be taking a gunsmith off the floor to answer these diameter questions right now. They have been inundated with calls about this.

One of Butches guys called me and asked me to post this. Butch should be back in a week or so.

Thank you for your consideration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Jeff Wemmer hit the nail square on the head ...... KISS !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What if my barrel measures .4105, JudgeG's measures .41125, MJines measures .41075, & someone else's measures exactly .411, how will Mike at NorthFork determine what the bullets will be ? I'd be real surprised if the PacNor barrels were all perfectly uniform; that being said though, I know you can pay a little extra & get barrels that are uniform to within 1/10,000th of a particular prescribed bore size (at least at Douglas - air gauged). Maybe that's what Butch does.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to the folks at Searcy's and they gave me Pac Nor's information. I call them on Tuesday and they will slug a barrel when they get one. They did not have one in inventory at this time. As soon as they do, they will slug the bore and I will send it to Mike.

square shooter