THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Boddington Article on the Heym 450-400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington Article on the Heym 450-400
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
...but I doubt he had to pay for the rifle (or the Rigby!). One doesn't know if it is an article or a paid advertisement.

I do know that it was not a paid advertisement. If you'll look back at Craig's books, you'll see that he's used the HEYM double rifles off and on for years. When we introduced the 450/400, he called me and ordered one.

Craig paid for his rifle, just like all of our customers. Unfortunately, when you look at the lower priced rifles out there, it is very common to see rifles given away to writers, and I can understand why your point came up. However, at the price point of better made doubles, that is expensive and not very common.

Some writers will borrow expensive rifles to hunt/test with and then return them, but Craig ordered this rifle to keep, and we stocked it to his requirements.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
agrue with my illustration, eh?

Were those pencil or ink illustrations?

Argue with you? Never! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More Ad Hominem, no arguement. Does that mean you concede?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wrote for a couple of magazines for about ten years. The comestibles, ie bullets brass and powder are usually free...the guns are a different story.

In 1997(?) the NRA annual convention was in Seattle. Krieghoff was debuting their Big Five double rifles. They had one on display in my dream caliber, .500 NE 3". I drooled over it, and on the last day worked up my courage to ask Dieter Krieghoff if they had a loaner deal. I 'bout keeled over when he said "...yes, and would I like to take the .500 home for six weeks?". After I got my pulse and respiration back to normal I said I would. He walked me down to the Gander Mountain booth and asked them for forty rounds, half solids, half softpoints. I noted the price, solids were $156, and softpoints were $132 a five pack. These were the red and yellow Kynoch boxes.
At the end of the test, I could have bought that Krieghoff for 50% of retail. And, I did!
I sold it three years later when the boss lady decided we needed to build a new single-story house. I still cry every now and then, but I got a place to hang trophies (competition and hunting) and I been to Africa. I spoke with him in Reno, and he remembered me. He also told me they would provide me with another "loaner" if I went again and did an article at the same friendly price.

I have known Craig for more than twenty years, and he is one of the most upstanding, honest men I know. Anything of lasting value he has he bought, African trips excluded.

I believe that, or I would not have spent the $150 for his limited edition book "Leopard".

I say God Bless Him and more power to him.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Great point. I seem to remember when Rigby of London invited Mr. Craig Boddington on Safari to try out the new .450 Rigby and write about it to promote it. They seemed to find it in their budget to pay for his safari and they surely didn't make many guns.

Now what was it you were saying about reality?

That still isn't "giving" a writer a brand new double rifle.

Priced a Buffalo hunt lately?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if there is more mark up on a buffalo hunt than there is on a double rifle? Ya think?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some writers will borrow expensive rifles to hunt/test with and then return them

Could I get my hands on one of the loaner rifles? I would write an article for the new DRSS website! jumping

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
quote:
quote:
Great point. I seem to remember when Rigby of London invited Mr. Craig Boddington on Safari to try out the new .450 Rigby and write about it to promote it. They seemed to find it in their budget to pay for his safari and they surely didn't make many guns.

"LATELY"? That hunt was 15 years ago, and Paul didn't give away those rifles either.

First you insist that DR makers would be "stupid" not to set Craig up with one of their rifles...

quote:
To be perfectly candid Heym would be stupid NOT to at least have offered him a nice discount, Craig could probably sell more doubles for them then a display at DSC or SCI which comes out of their marketing budget.

quote:
Not to the guy whose book Safari Rifles has out sold even Taylors book. A wise investment if you ask me.

quote:
Craig Boddington is MR AFRICA, bar none.

Don't believe writers can have a positive effect on sales, go take a look at what Ruark did for the EXTREMELY rare .416 rigby. Maybe you have heard of the .270 Winchester and a guy named Biesen that some writer used to write about.

Craig Boddington is not just "some writer" just like Ivan Carter is not just "some PH". Anybody with any business sense would do everything possible to get their products in their hands.

....and then you insist they'd be stupid if they did as any positive review would be the kiss of death because it would be so clearly biased:

quote:
I suppose I'm supposed to believe that the man that talked about and used David Miller, Rigby of London, classic British rifles and doubles, and Swarovski scopes ALL OF SUDDEN found Rugers, Trijicons, and Rigby of California doubles to be the guns he loves! Please.

And when Dakota ran a series of dangerous game rifles with his initials, he didn't get something?

And the Boddington series Ruger number 1 rifles?

You would have to be a fool to think Craig just LOVES Texas Hunt Co, Gander Mountain, Ruger, Trijicon, and Hornady. He gets paid, and more power to him, but he gets paid to use them. He is biased.

Craig loves vintage British and high end custom guns and optics, anything else he is using is because he is paid to not because he loves them.

Want to know what Craig likes, read his older stuff before the videos and TV programs and I must admit that his new Safari Rifles two shows less bias.

You're not trying to make a point here, as you don't have one to make. You've just got a hard-on about Boddington.

This is the silliest, most baseless post of the entire string:

quote:
But he wouldn't be using these products if he wasn't getting paid to.

Get a life!
-------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
REMEMBER THE GLOWING PRAISE CRAIG HAD FOR THE ROGUE RIVER DOUBLE RIFLES ?

HE IS QUITE ADEPT AT MANIPULATING BUILDERS TO GET WHAT HE WANTS.... LIKE RIFLES AND ADDITIONS TO HIS TROPHY ROOM, HUNTS ETC.

AND NOW WE HAVE TO READ ABOUT HIS DARLING DAUGHTER WHOM HE TAKES ON THESE HUNTS.

IT IS ONLY OF LATE THAT HE HAS STARTED TO HAVE SOME OPINIONS RATHER THAN TALKING OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF HIS MOUTH.

PERHAPS HIS MIDDLE NAME SHOULD BE CRAIG
" MONEY CAN BUY ME " BODDINGTON ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"LATELY"? That hunt was 15 years ago, and Paul didn't give away those rifles either.

First you insist that DR makers would be "stupid" not to set Craig up with one of their rifles...

quote:
To be perfectly candid Heym would be stupid NOT to at least have offered him a nice discount, Craig could probably sell more doubles for them then a display at DSC or SCI which comes out of their marketing budget.

quote:
Not to the guy whose book Safari Rifles has out sold even Taylors book. A wise investment if you ask me.

quote:
Craig Boddington is MR AFRICA, bar none.

Don't believe writers can have a positive effect on sales, go take a look at what Ruark did for the EXTREMELY rare .416 rigby. Maybe you have heard of the .270 Winchester and a guy named Biesen that some writer used to write about.

Craig Boddington is not just "some writer" just like Ivan Carter is not just "some PH". Anybody with any business sense would do everything possible to get their products in their hands.

....and then you insist they'd be stupid if they did as any positive review would be the kiss of death because it would be so clearly biased:

quote:
I suppose I'm supposed to believe that the man that talked about and used David Miller, Rigby of London, classic British rifles and doubles, and Swarovski scopes ALL OF SUDDEN found Rugers, Trijicons, and Rigby of California doubles to be the guns he loves! Please.

And when Dakota ran a series of dangerous game rifles with his initials, he didn't get something?

And the Boddington series Ruger number 1 rifles?

You would have to be a fool to think Craig just LOVES Texas Hunt Co, Gander Mountain, Ruger, Trijicon, and Hornady. He gets paid, and more power to him, but he gets paid to use them. He is biased.

Craig loves vintage British and high end custom guns and optics, anything else he is using is because he is paid to not because he loves them.

Want to know what Craig likes, read his older stuff before the videos and TV programs and I must admit that his new Safari Rifles two shows less bias.

You're not trying to make a point here, as you don't have one to make. You've just got a hard-on about Boddington.

This is the silliest, most baseless post of the entire string:

quote:
But he wouldn't be using these products if he wasn't getting paid to.

Get a life!
-------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Got it, no writers get discounts and free guns and Idaho Sharpshooter must be imagining getting a K gun for 50% off because double rifle makers don't have the budget for that.

Now back to your ad hominem attacks.....

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Yes, thanks for posting. Here is the complete article in a legible size.

I am sory.
But Mr. Boddington is wrong.

I own (the second??!!) Heym 88B Safari in ..450 N.E. 3,25!

Made in 1997...

Perfect rifle, no probs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not care so much if the gun writers have paid the rifle. But what I try to do is read between the lines...and with a bit of attention you could even in the very early articles detect that Craig has pointed out that (THE imho becaue the craftsmen stocked the gun in European fashion and weight) general weakness of the Heym is the stock and its low weight. So even if he would have received the gun as a present fine with me. We should not be too critical, we are all educated and know there is no free lunch on the other hand we like gun reports...I am relaxed here.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Surely folks do not believe that today's gun and hunting writers write from an objective and unbiased perspective. When was the last time you read one of the major writers panning a hunt or something manufactured by a major vendor/sponsor. Today they are marketers/writers, not reporters or journalists. Not even close.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote