THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Boddington Article on the Heym 450-400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington Article on the Heym 450-400
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
FYI:

http://www.heymusa.com/in_the_press/boddington_ph.jpg

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw it....great article...nice of you to post it.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for posting. Here is the complete article in a legible size.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone email me the article? The Heymusa site is blocked where I am.

Brazos Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
Can someone email me the article? The Heymusa site is blocked where I am.

Brazos Jack

Check your email. BOOM

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sid,

Article received and very much appreciated.

Brazos Jack

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the gun looks nice and I agree that it would be the cat's pajamas for buffalo.

But...has anyone on the forum used a Heym 450/400? There are probably few bigger fans of Boddington than I, but I doubt he had to pay for the rifle (or the Rigby!). One doesn't know if it is an article or a paid advertisement.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a shameless advertisement for the Heym double, perpatrated by none other than new_guy himself.....right Chris? Big Grin

That being said...tongue in cheek...the Heym rifles are awesome; fit and finish is great, balance is essentially perfect, etc. The Heym IS a touch pricier than some of the others, but a very nice weapon.

By the way, I think Chris charged Craig 30% over list for that gun....but threw in a box of Hornady solids.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
I think the gun looks nice and I agree that it would be the cat's pajamas for buffalo.

But...has anyone on the forum used a Heym 450/400? There are probably few bigger fans of Boddington than I, but I doubt he had to pay for the rifle (or the Rigby!). One doesn't know if it is an article or a paid advertisement.

Where do people come up with this stuff? Certainly not a realistic view of the promotional budget of a double rifle maker.

I first heard of Hornady's .450/.400 project from Craig personally. He was excited about it. When he discovered that Heym was going to introduce the caliber in their line, he was one of the first to order one. His was one of the first three .400s to arrive in the US in late 2007. He paid for his rifle.

One of the other three was Heym's promotional .400, which was made available for gunwriter's use during 2008. This remained Heym's rifle, and was recently sold.

I haven't hunted with a Heym .400. I shot the promotional .400 shortly after it arrived and have shot a number of others since. They're accurate, great handling .400s.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote: "Where do people come up with this stuff?"

While I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, when you do TV shows with, say Trijicon, Hornaday, and Ruger as sponsors and just, by coincidence, use a Ruger rifle, topped with a Trijicon scope, shooting Hornaday bullets, just what is one to think??

I'm reminded of an old story, supposed to be true, that Roy Weatherby was upset that Jack O'Connor didn't like his rifles. Roy (so the story goes) paid for an African safari for O'Connor and was quite upset when O'Connor wrote about the safari, not mentioning Weatherby's rifles.

As I said, I am a big fan of Craig. Unfortunately, when a writer gets heavily involved in product promotion his veracity in critiquing products becomes suspect.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
Quote: "Where do people come up with this stuff?"

While I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, when you do TV shows with, say Trijicon, Hornaday, and Ruger as sponsors and just, by coincidence, use a Ruger rifle, topped with a Trijicon scope, shooting Hornaday bullets, just what is one to think??

I'm reminded of an old story, supposed to be true, that Roy Weatherby was upset that Jack O'Connor didn't like his rifles. Roy (so the story goes) paid for an African safari for O'Connor and was quite upset when O'Connor wrote about the safari, not mentioning Weatherby's rifles.

As I said, I am a big fan of Craig. Unfortunately, when a writer gets heavily involved in product promotion his veracity in critiquing products becomes suspect.

...and like I said, your imagination in this case is wrong. He paid for his rifle.
-----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hardly a stretch of the imagination to assume he got it for free, or at least a significant discount.

To be perfectly candid Heym would be stupid NOT to at least have offered him a nice discount, Craig could probably sell more doubles for them then a display at DSC or SCI which comes out of their marketing budget.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is hardly a stretch of the imagination to assume he got it for free,

A free double rifle? The reality is that's a rather extreme stretch.
--------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact of the matter is, most any industry has a MSRP, MAAP, trade price, dealer price, and distributor price.

Free stuff is normally a novelty of trivial value, at least in my world.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

Not to the guy whose book Safari Rifles has out sold even Taylors book. A wise investment if you ask me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
quote:
quote:

Not to the guy whose book Safari Rifles has out sold even Taylors book. A wise investment if you ask me.

And it didn't happen. He believes in the product and wanted the Heym, so he bought it.
------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro and I both learned of the reintroduction of the 400 Jeffery by Hornady when we spoke with him at the Houston Safari Club Show a couple of years ago.

What kind of sense does it make for a manufacture to equipt every hunting writer with a rifle? You guys are living in a dream world. In truth of the matter some may get the "use" of a rifle for a time, but being given an expensive gift every time you turn around ain't gonna happen!

BTW, Craig previously owned a 450/400 3 inch and he told us he rued the day he sold it. He was most excited waiting on his newly purchased Heym.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
400 Nitro and I both learned of the reintroduction of the 400 Jeffery by Hornady when we spoke with him at the Houston Safari Club Show a couple of years ago.

What kind of sense does it make for a manufacture to equipt every hunting writer with a rifle? You guys are living in a dream world. In truth of the matter some may get the "use" of a rifle for a time, but being given an expensive gift every time you turn around ain't gonna happen!

BTW, Craig previously owned a 450/400 3 inch and he told us he rued the day he sold it. He was most excited waiting on his newly purchased Heym.

Please show me where it says every gun writer?

Craig Boddington is MR AFRICA, bar none.

Don't believe writers can have a positive effect on sales, go take a look at what Ruark did for the EXTREMELY rare .416 rigby. Maybe you have heard of the .270 Winchester and a guy named Biesen that some writer used to write about.

Craig Boddington is not just "some writer" just like Ivan Carter is not just "some PH". Anybody with any business sense would do everything possible to get their products in their hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Craig Boddington is not just "some writer" just like Ivan Carter is not just "some PH". Anybody with any business sense would do everything possible to get their products in their hands.

Were there any validity to your argument, every big name gunwriter and PH would be using a new Holland, Westley, etc.

People believe a lot of things, and some beliefs out there are quite popular, but that doesn't make them true, as in this case. Some folks just have a hard time with reality.
------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though not true, as you report, it is well within the range of the plausible.

And not much in the way of maney for a comapany looking to sell rifles, even a small comapny. And the red herring about "Holland or Westley" is laughable. The cost of making a Hyem vs a Holland or Wstley, or the reatil price, which might givew a better indication of opportunity costs the manufacturer faces in giving a Holland or Westley away, are in different leagues.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A company like Heym probably makes around 60 double rifles a year. There isn't enough profit margin to equipt the "Mr. Africa" writers of the world. They may get a discount but "Freebie Double rifle"? Now that's a good one! rotflmo Ya know that ain't like give'n away a rod and reel.

Like 400 Nitro said, they'd all be tote'n Holland and Holland Royals. animal

Maybe Craig will drop by and give us his take on this?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And not much in the way of maney for a comapany looking to sell rifles, even a small comapny. And the red herring about "Holland or Westley" is laughable. The cost of making a Hyem vs a Holland or Wstley, or the reatil price, which might givew a better indication of opportunity costs the manufacturer faces in giving a Holland or Westley away, are in different leagues.

Not at all, as such things are relative. Holland usually makes roughly 100 double guns a year. Heym can make 50-60. Don't know about Westley, but likely somewhere between the two. Moreover, Heym usually runs out of capacity during the year. They sell everything they can make. It's just as silly to expect Heym to give one away as it is the other two.
-------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If he didn't get it for free, I'll bet he got a hell of a deal!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There has always been something that bothers me about threads like this one! Why is it that any time a gun writer writes an article about one of his hunts, about a particular make or model of rifle, everyone thinks there must be a conspiracy involved?

I can assure you, with Boddington's over 70 safaris for everything from titmouse, to pachyderm, that nobody paid for all those safaris for him! Craig Boddington is a very prolific author, and magazine editor for a very large publishing company, and one of three partners in the filming co. TV's "Tracks across Africa".

I have almost every book he ever wrote, as do most of the hunters/shooters who have been around long enough to remember Craig as a very young man, when he started out! I would say he is fairly self sufficient, and doesn't need a lot of freebies. The royalties have been quite steady over the past 50 yrs or so. I can assure you, as well, that Heym did not "GIVE" that rifle to Boddington, nor did Chris at Heym America. Maybe they did give him a deal on it because they know he would write about its use in Africa. That's just good business.

I think there is a great volume of envy involved here! I too wish I could afford to have 70 safaris plus dozens of trips to many lands other than Africa, under my belt, but it never occurred to me to begrudge Craig for his good fortune, and for the life of me I don't see why anyone would.

Just like anyone on these forums, when he has a new rifle he wants to write about it. He just happens to be in a position to make a livening out of his hunting, and writing. There is not a swinging D**k here who wouldn't kill to be able to do the same. If you want to know the most content man, find a man who finds a way to make a good liveing doing what he enjoys most! That's Craig IMO! I have followed his career from start till today, and I for one enjoy his writeings, and wish him no ill!

Why not just enjoy his writing, and be glad for him! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington had two Heym 88 B safaris twenty plus years ago. One in 470 and the other in 500. I do not believe he was getting any endorsements of any type back then.
He probably likes the guns. They are trim by design and Craig is not a physically large man.
You may note he also bought the 450 / 400 so his wife might shoot it. He seems fond of the cartridge and I believe Boddington really likes doubles.
You may note in his recent DVD on Elephant hunting that his wife takes a shot at an elephant with the heym, but not once in the video did he plug Heym.I guess unless you know what you are looking at, you would not have noticed it. It probably speaks greater volumes that Ivan Carter owns two of them.
I own a 88B in 470 and really like the gun however I have never really had the chance to compare it to costlier English offerings.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, 400 Nitro Expree,

First, I'm not arguing whether Boddington paid full price, or a discounted price or anything for his rifle, only that giving away a rifle to him is well within the realm of the plausible.

I think you know that Boddington is in his own league in both overall production and production regarding Africa. And then there are his DVD's, and his show appearences, etc, etc, etc,... No one else really comes close.

Take Heym's marketing and advertising, which I run across regularly. Transfer some of that same budget and apply it to a double rifle's cost of goods sold and it would have been a relatively insignificant detour. Then you have the opportunity cost, which would be the difference between the actual cost of making the rifle and the price it would have brought wholesale to one of Hyem's dealers. Again, not all that significant.

Here is some math:

Lets assume 60 rifles/yr (the high end of 400 NE's estimate)
Lets assume wholesale brings in $15k/rifle gross revenue, FOB. (on average, from the PH to the sidelock big bores)
Lets assume gross margin is 33%.
Cost of rifle = $10,000.
Revenue for sale of 60 double rifles = $885k (60-1x$15k)
Advertising cost related to giving away one rifle to a Craig Boddington equivelent = 1.1% of revenue.

Change the math how you want, within reason, and the cost of the rifle remains relatively insignificant and likely a small portion of Hyem's or any similar company's advertising budget. H&H isn't similar. Throw in opportunity cost, which would be the difference between cost and wholesale price, and then the effective cost of the advertising investment goes up, to $15k or 1.7% of double rifle revenue, but it remains relatively small. Either way, Heym giving a rifle to the likes of Craig Boddington would make excellent business sense and the return, in terms of exposure his writing gives Hyem, a bargain that would span more than the one year cost/benefit illistration above, with no additional costs involved.

Try the math with H&H and it doesn't work because the cost of the product and the opportunity costs of not selling the product are so high in real $'s, even if the %'s are the same, that they would pay for a considerable amount of other advertising. For example, in the illistration above, it cost Heym $15k to give the rifle away, including opportunity costs. Assume I'm off by 100% and call it $30k, no matter. It costs H&H ~$200k, including opportunity costs, which buys a whole lot of advertising compared to $15k or $30k.

What H&H did that was sort of similar was to provide the PH's who hunted for H&H in Tanzania a 500/465 Royal. The rifle was a long term loaner. High end clients who could afford the high end trip and so logically an H&H rifle got to see their first rate PH carrying and using an H&H Royal... When H&H ended its Tanzania involvement, it gave the PH's the option of buying or returning the rifles. One I know is still kicking himself for not buying his 500/465 for the offered $25k, but he couldn't really afford it. So H&H gets the rifles back, reconditions them, and sells them on to recover at least some of their costs.

BTW, the PH that I know who hunted for H&H really enjoyed his time with H&H and told me he was treated very well and was disapointed that they ended their Tanzania invlolvement. I think it speaks well of H&H that an essentially laid off employee still thinks their tops.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure about "free" anything in life. When you accept something for free, you are a "slave" of sorts to the giver. I don't see CB doing that. A rifle at "cost", yes, I can see that but not a freebie.

With that said, I do not understand the Trijicon endorsement. No one else out there seems to be touting these scopes. Leupold, Swaro, Schmidt and Bender and others are premium optics. Trijicon does not strike me that way.

Hornaday ammo - fine, it is good stuff.
Ruger rifles - fine, good rifles and proven.
TexasHuntCo daypacks - I have seen them, well built but heavy. Not sure I would take a free one, prefer my NorthFace.

Chifuti Safaris - solid outfit with a track record.

In his DVD's (Bod on Buff I) he touted A-frames, Dakota Rifles and Swaro optics.

I am sure sponsors are tough to come by, but I would expect they would be lined up at his door. Anyway, I would not question his integrity over a double rifle. He is a solid guy and I like what he advises.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lets assume wholesale brings in $15k/rifle gross margin, FOB. (on average, from Gross margin for sale of 60 double rifles = $900k

I want you working up my next yearly production cost and profit margins. I think you have a future in manufacturing. Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Being paid in some fashion or other for an endorsement is not a crime and nor is it an ethical infraction for a journalist . . . unless the paid endorser touts a product - solely for money - that he, himself, would not use.

Based on thirty plus years of reading his work, I don't think that Craig Boddington does that.

Personally, I don't even like wearing clothing with a visible name brand on it. (I make exceptions for tax exempts and major league sports teams. Wink)

My feeling is, why should I advertise something I paid for without getting some consideration? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
There has always been something that bothers me about threads like this one! Why is it that any time a gun writer writes an article about one of his hunts, about a particular make or model of rifle, everyone thinks there must be a conspiracy involved?

I can assure you, with Boddington's over 70 safaris for everything from titmouse, to pachyderm, that nobody paid for all those safaris for him! Craig Boddington is a very prolific author, and magazine editor for a very large publishing company, and one of three partners in the filming co. TV's "Tracks across Africa".

I have almost every book he ever wrote, as do most of the hunters/shooters who have been around long enough to remember Craig as a very young man, when he started out! I would say he is fairly self sufficient, and doesn't need a lot of freebies. The royalties have been quite steady over the past 50 yrs or so. I can assure you, as well, that Heym did not "GIVE" that rifle to Boddington, nor did Chris at Heym America. Maybe they did give him a deal on it because they know he would write about its use in Africa. That's just good business.

I think there is a great volume of envy involved here! I too wish I could afford to have 70 safaris plus dozens of trips to many lands other than Africa, under my belt, but it never occurred to me to begrudge Craig for his good fortune, and for the life of me I don't see why anyone would.

Just like anyone on these forums, when he has a new rifle he wants to write about it. He just happens to be in a position to make a livening out of his hunting, and writing. There is not a swinging D**k here who wouldn't kill to be able to do the same. If you want to know the most content man, find a man who finds a way to make a good liveing doing what he enjoys most! That's Craig IMO! I have followed his career from start till today, and I for one enjoy his writeings, and wish him no ill!

Why not just enjoy his writing, and be glad for him! Roll Eyes

You obviously haven't been reading and watching Craigs recent works!!

From his lips "I would not have been able to go on as many safaris as I have if it was not for my sponsors".

So HELL YES he had somebody pay his way on safaris, the man said it himself!

I suppose I'm supposed to believe that the man that talked about and used David Miller, Rigby of London, classic British rifles and doubles, and Swarovski scopes ALL OF SUDDEN found Rugers, Trijicons, and Rigby of California doubles to be the guns he loves! Please.

And when Dakota ran a series of dangerous game rifles with his initials, he didn't get something?

And the Boddington series Ruger number 1 rifles?

You would have to be a fool to think Craig just LOVES Texas Hunt Co, Gander Mountain, Ruger, Trijicon, and Hornady. He gets paid, and more power to him, but he gets paid to use them. He is biased.

Craig loves vintage British and high end custom guns and optics, anything else he is using is because he is paid to not because he loves them.

Want to know what Craig likes, read his older stuff before the videos and TV programs and I must admit that his new Safari Rifles two shows less bias.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Being paid in some fashion or other for an endorsement is not a crime and nor is it an ethical infraction for a journalist . . . unless the paid endorser touts a product - solely for money - that he, himself, would not use.

Based on thirty plus years of reading his work, I don't think that Craig Boddington does that.

Personally, I don't even like wearing clothing with a visible name brand on it. (I make exceptions for tax exempts and major league sports teams. Wink)

My feeling is, why should I advertise something I paid for without getting some consideration? Big Grin

But he wouldn't be using these products if he wasn't getting paid to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Were there any validity to your argument, every big name gunwriter and PH would be using a new Holland, Westley, etc.

People believe a lot of things, and some beliefs out there are quite popular, but that doesn't make them true, as in this case. Some folks just have a hard time with reality.
------------------------------------

Great point. I seem to remember when Rigby of London invited Mr. Craig Boddington on Safari to try out the new .450 Rigby and write about it to promote it. They seemed to find it in their budget to pay for his safari and they surely didn't make many guns.

Now what was it you were saying about reality?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Blue corner we have the 400 Nitro Express and Rusty tag team. In the Red corner we have the entire rest of the world! The issue is simple: Can we take someones word at face value ie, a recommendation to use a product, when we suspect that there is an undisclosed financial arrangement? The issue is NOT jelousy. The issue is :Is there a quid pro quo? We seem to not like the idea of politicians accepting campaign contributions and then supporting legislation that benefits the provider of those contributions. I wonder why?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Lets assume wholesale brings in $15k/rifle gross margin, FOB. (on average, from Gross margin for sale of 60 double rifles = $900k

I want you working up my next yearly production cost and profit margins. I think you have a future in manufacturing. Big Grin

OOPS. You cought my typo. Meant to type "gross revenue." Also typed 50% gross margin when I meant type 33%. I've edited my post to correct.

But I suspect you realized the typo(s).

What portion of the arguement can you disagree with?

BTW, cost of goods sold, direct and indirect, gross margins, incremental contribution margins, all part of daily life for me. But then so is the rest of an income statement, and also a balance sheet and statement of cash flow.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great point. I seem to remember when Rigby of London invited Mr. Craig Boddington on Safari to try out the new .450 Rigby and write about it to promote it. They seemed to find it in their budget to pay for his safari and they surely didn't make many guns.

That still isn't "giving" a writer a brand new double rifle.

JPK, I love those figures you pulled out of the air. Any chance that you are working with the Ecomonic Recovery planning? Big Grin

I have had the pleasure of visiting with Craig over the years at DSC & HSC. We've exchanged emails. I can tell you there were a number of years between the time he sold his last double and this new Heym that he bought. Using some of the above arguments there shouldn't have been a time when he was without a double?

He told me, at one point 3 years ago, as I said above he rued the day he sold his last 450/400 3 inch and he wished he had funds to buy another.

I'm sure PHs and some writers get a discount. No one I know has every been given a free double rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the Blue corner we have the 400 Nitro Express and Rusty tag team. In the Red corner we have the entire rest of the world! The issue is simple: Can we take someones word at face value ie, a recommendation to use a product, when we suspect that there is an undisclosed financial arrangement? The issue is NOT jelousy. The issue is :Is there a quid pro quo? We seem to not like the idea of politicians accepting campaign contributions and then supporting legislation that benefits the provider of those contributions. I wonder why?
Peter

Peter, I apologize for standing next to 400 Nitro when we spoke with Craig. I apologize that we know, and have talked to, people who work for Heym.

What we have stated here concerning Craig and his Heym are the results of direct converstations with the parties in question.

We have no reason to do otherwise!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
If he didn't get it for free, I'll bet he got a hell of a deal!

+1 Eeker

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:

You obviously haven't been reading and watching Craigs recent works!!

From his lips "I would not have been able to go on as many safaris as I have if it was not for my sponsors".

So HELL YES he had somebody pay his way on safaris, the man said it himself!

I suppose I'm supposed to believe that the man that talked about and used David Miller, Rigby of London, classic British rifles and doubles, and Swarovski scopes ALL OF SUDDEN found Rugers, Trijicons, and Rigby of California doubles to be the guns he loves! Please.

And when Dakota ran a series of dangerous game rifles with his initials, he didn't get something?

And the Boddington series Ruger number 1 rifles?

You would have to be a fool to think Craig just LOVES Texas Hunt Co, Gander Mountain, Ruger, Trijicon, and Hornady. He gets paid, and more power to him, but he gets paid to use them. He is biased.

Craig loves vintage British and high end custom guns and optics, anything else he is using is because he is paid to not because he loves them.

Want to know what Craig likes, read his older stuff before the videos and TV programs and I must admit that his new Safari Rifles two shows less bias.

I deleted my origenal post in answer to Mr. Goffm24, but saved it to a file in my computer, if anyone has a burning deaire to read it.
I simply see no reason to build the flame any higher here, other than to say I disagree whith those who think Mr Boddington is somehow deceitfull in his reccomending of the products he uses, and that everything is given to him.

It is my belief that the problem with his detractors is simply envy of his success, nothing more! Opinions vary, however! wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I have to say this is really a silly debate.

Is it relevant to consider whether someone who might evaluate a product was paid? Of course it is. However, the question is not how Craig Boddington may feel about a particular product like a Heym double but how does the buyer feel.

I have handled and fired exactly one Heym, a .500 NE that my friend owned. The workmanship was superb. It was VERY tight. That's good and bad. After firing, it was impossible to open without taking it down from the shoulder and breaking it across your knee. Four quick shots would have been impossible. I thought that it was somewhat heavy and unwieldly but perhaps that was because of the caliber. My friend took it to Afica and a firing pin broke. Would I buy one? I doubt it. A Merkel is slimmer, handles better, and is a bunch cheaper. So is a Krieghoff. You have to do what makes sense to YOU, not Craig Boddington. After all, it's YOUR money.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That still isn't "giving" a writer a brand new double rifle.

JPK, I love those figures you pulled out of the air. Any chance that you are working with the Ecomonic Recovery planning? Big Grin

I have had the pleasure of visiting with Craig over the years at DSC & HSC. We've exchanged emails. I can tell you there were a number of years between the time he sold his last double and this new Heym that he bought. Using some of the above arguments there shouldn't have been a time when he was without a double?

He told me, at one point 3 years ago, as I said above he rued the day he sold his last 450/400 3 inch and he wished he had funds to buy another.

I'm sure PHs and some writers get a discount. No one I know has every been given a free double rifle!

Ad Hominem attack, but no ability to agrue with my illustration, eh?

JPK

Free 500grains