New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up my new Heym 500NE safari. Had some gold work done on the barrel roots and the sights as well as recknagel mounts installed by Martini & Hagn in Cranbrook BC. Ralph also mounted the Zwarovski Z6 EE scope. They do excellent work and are very good to deal with. It is a joy to shoot and every round shot makes you smile. Their falling block rifles are extrordinary pieces of work very simple and very precise, that may be my next piece. I will post pictures of the 500 NE soon as possible.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Let me get this striaght, you installed a scope on a .500 NE?????

These ain't long distance guns, dude!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Paul some folks simply can't see iron sights, and must rely on glass, no matter the chambering. I hunt with a guy who has very bad eyes, and shoots a bolt action 458 Win Mag, with a 1X illuminated scope on it. If I could afford it, I'd have a QD scope for every double rifle I own.

I have never understood everyone's objection to mounting a scope on a double rifle, as long as it is mounted properly, in QD rings and bases, and far enough forward so it doesn't take half you face off when you fire it! Big Grin

Most of us are lucky enough to be able to use irons sights pritty well, but people like my wife may as well throw their rifles in the dump if they had to use iron sights. She can't see her hand with her arm stretched out in front of her without her glasses, and with them she can't see the sights because they are too close. However you don't want to make her mad if she has her scoped rifle! Eeker.....And I don't make her mad, I can assure you! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

I thinks A sight similar to RUSTY'S is in my future.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...991085501#6991085501

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul can still see his sights, I have seen him actually hit a TREE or two... Eeker Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zigfreed

A Heym is a very good Double Rifle.

VERY GOOD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zigfreed, That was an especially nice Heym that Hagn had...great wood and gold trim... a "Luxus" grade. It would be mine except they wouldn't take anything in trade on that one for some reason.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think putting a scope on a fine double is akin to putting a big ugly tattoo across a beautiful woman's face.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pepper_Tick:
I think putting a scope on a fine double is akin to putting a big ugly tattoo across a beautiful woman's face.

Good way of expression Wink...However, if one have had a nice dr for many years using the ironsigths, suddenly can`t use the gun anymore because of poor eyesight, I would say ofcouse, if it was the only way for him to still get enjoyment from the gun in the last years.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The geometry of a double rifle does not accomodate a scope well. Although a double can be scoped, the end result will never quite be just right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a chance to get pictures of this unit but will soon. I guess not everyone has the same idea in a guns versatility but the scope is the option I have chosen. Great scope and mounts with lots of eye relief, which is good on the 500NE.
Never shot one before buying this unit, it is a learning curve but doable. Did finally receive ammo from Hornady and it is now time to play.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of scoped Double Rifles an O/U 30/30 Heym, 9,3x74R Chapuis and a 450/400 3 1/4" British.

I also have several scoped Drillings, Double Rifle Drillings and a scoped Combo Gun.

Buffalobeans, I have hunted and killed a LOT of game with these guns in several different places and in a few different countries.

For ME a scoped double is a great hunting rifle...

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.

IF I got the Contract to kill EVERY game animal on the Planet, I would pick a couple of scoped double rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except carrying a scoped big bore double is a royal pain in the a%*&.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
465H&H

My Idaho bumpkin buddy Big Grin [Next time I come through there I will buy you lunch],
I have not found that [carrying a scoped Double] to be any more of a problem than a nonscoped one.

In Africa I do not use a sling. I do African carry, and I am careful not to "laser" a live human, or anything else important, like the Land Cruiser. Big Grin or the beer cooler.

I have hunted with my scoped 9,3 double, a BUNCH, even using it on Back Packing hunts, and do not find it any more difficult to carry than a scoped bolt rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zigfreed
Stick to your guns, its your money and your rifle, do with it as you want to. To each his own. Some like scopes, some don't.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote