New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a set and would like to hear what folks are pleased with.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.africansc.com/cat_shoot_sticks_10.php

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I like the long grass outfitters......

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
I like the long grass outfitters......

Living just outside San Antonio I thought I'd give the Long Grass's a look but do not see them on their website?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took a set of Primos tripod trigger sticks to S Africa several years ago. Absolutely rock steady and easy to set up. My PH was impressed, so I gave them to him at the end of the hunt. He uses them with all of his clients...nothing but good reports. I have continued to use them on subsequent trips. Another good feature is that you can demount the head and use it as a camera tripod. Truly, a rugged and versatile piece of equipment.

Eagle One
Benefactor Member NRA
Life Member SCI
DRSS
Merkel .376 H & H
Sabatti .45-70

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the BogPod three legged sticks for my doubles and the long grass for the bolt guns. The Bog Pod was better suited to hold the double rifles that the regular shooting sticks.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommend you try the long grass sticks before you buy them. I tried a friend's...you'll find they are "springy."

Eagle One
Benefactor Member NRA
Life Member SCI
DRSS
Merkel .375 H & H
Sabatti .45-70

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theses are are not springy,have firm joints and well apointed leather. They are not cheap nor is a missed shot.

http://www.africansc.com/cat_shoot_sticks_10.php

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I use the BogPod three legged sticks for my doubles and the long grass for the bolt guns. The Bog Pod was better suited to hold the double rifles that the regular shooting sticks.

That was exactly my concern when I looked at those suggested and recalling the ones I used in Africa that my PH had made. A "V" rather than a "U", seemed like it might be an issue with my doubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The long grass shooting sticks are no longer being offered. They were hand made by one of the partners, who has entered into other business ventures and no longer has the time to make them.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Long Grass sticks just fine. Light to carry and long enough for a tall guy such as myself. Works fine with my Merkel 470.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of long grass sticks and they are satisfactory but a bit heavy.

My PH had a set of collapsing aluminum sticks made in SA that I liked better. They had a leather hammock on top that was easier to use than resting the rifle or your wrist in the sticks. I asked about them and I believe I recall him saying they cost about $85 US.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammoloader:
I have a set of long grass sticks and they are satisfactory but a bit heavy.

My PH had a set of collapsing aluminum sticks made in SA that I liked better. They had a leather hammock on top that was easier to use than resting the rifle or your wrist in the sticks. I asked about them and I believe I recall him saying they cost about $85 US.

Did the leather hammock affect your ability to adjust the height (by preventing you from splaying the legs of the sticks) at all? I know you can lean the sticks forwards and backwards to affect height as well, but just wondering.

paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. We are coming out with a leather "gun bag" in a triaglular shape that fits securely over the two tops legs of our shooting sticks and is oriented with the flat side up just for double rifle shooters. We typically develop things faster than we can activate them on our website so if that is of interest just e-mail us and you can take a look at one.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the leather hammock affect your ability to adjust the height (by preventing you from splaying the legs of the sticks) at all? I know you can lean the sticks forwards and backwards to affect height as well, but just wondering.

It would it you spread them far enough but the way they were employed the leather formed a bit of a "cradle". They adjusted the leg height to me and my position before we went out.

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've owned a set of Long Grass sticks for sevral years! They have served me well with my double and other rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW! Nice looking sticks but pricey. Does anyone have any experience with the two piece versions?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
How about a pair of six foor 1" bamboo poles from Home Depot held together with a bicycle inner tube and with the short end covered with nice protective electrical tape. About as Authentically African as you can get with a total cost of about $5.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
So far my experiences with the Bog Pods have been positive. Plus they will double as a tripod for spotting scope or camera

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
I tried a set of those at a Sporting Goods store in Pa and was not very impressed. They seemed a little thin as far the tube diameter was concerned and were easy to "spring". Thicker tubes would help.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
How about a pair of six foor 1" bamboo poles from Home Depot held together with a bicycle inner tube and with the short end covered with nice protective electrical tape. About as Authentically African as you can get with a total cost of about $5.

Yea, great idea for the range. But still need a set of take downs for hunting. Not realistic to carry three, six foot poles around while hunting in Alaska.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't choose them for a heavy Swaro scope but when extended only half way they will work fine with scopes like the Leupold 12-40 GR and they are handy for steading your binos even when standing

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As good as they might be for sighting-in a rifle or some long range shot, I wouldn't want them around for up close and personal stuff. They are slow and might get in your way.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

Jim from African Sporting Creations again. We are making the gun bag for the sticks so it can adjust upwards if the sticks are tight and flatten out if you splay them out. First prototype is coming this week and if you want to take a look at one will be more than happy to send it out for your evaluation.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim from African Sporting Creations again. We are making the gun bag for the sticks so it can adjust upwards if the sticks are tight and flatten out if you splay them out. First prototype is coming this week and if you want to take a look at one will be more than happy to send it out for your evaluation.
Jim

Jim, If you would like to send one down I will get together some AR/DRSS folks and we will try it out. We like having reasons to go to the range with our hardware!

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
off topic a little but I really like the APHA safari jacket ont the african sporting creations web site. I suspect I will need one of those to replace my current jacket as my midsection no longer allows it to be buttoned

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried to order a set of African Sporting Creations sticks and they wanted $97 for ground UPS shipping to Alaska!!!!
Sent the company an email and waiting to hear back from them.

PS: Company contacted me as soon as possible via email and followed it up with a phone call and explained there was a glitch in their web site which caused the UPS shipping chart to think Alaska was an international order. Problem solved and have to say at this point if the sticks are as good as their customer service I will be a happy camper.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That sounds a tad steep for ground.
I was going to order some of those new copper bullets that Michael458 is working on but when I saw that they tacked an extra $20 for shipping to Ak and Hi, I decided they didn't want my business that much.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Holy crap! Tried to order a set of African Sporting Creations sticks and they wanted $97 for ground UPS shipping to Alaska!!!!
Sent the company an email and waiting to hear back from them.

Well it looks like I won't be ordering a set of those for Christmas Frowner
Wonder what the post to Aus is?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
That sounds a tad steep for ground.
I was going to order some of those new copper bullets that Michael458 is working on but when I saw that they tacked an extra $20 for shipping to Ak and Hi, I decided they didn't want my business that much.

I hear you Mike, In these days of USPS flat rate boxes any company who doesnt use them loses a lot of potential business.

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
ARRRGghghghghghg!! Companies that wont ship via USPS to my military APO address or charge extra to do it drive me around the bend! I do have freight forwarder that I can send boxes to that will send it onwards, but thats not the point. It costs me more to do it and, dammit, if we are out here doing good service for our country, it should not be too much to ask. Mad

I once had locking differential for my hummer H1 shipped to me from the states to my mil APO box by a prepaid USPS Priority box. Weighed almost 30lbs and cost 7$ !!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. Thanks to Ronald and Chris for your orders. Ironically shipping calculated to the land down under (Chris) was cheaper than shipping to AK. For some reason the UPS program that does our freight calculation classifes AK as an international location on a sporadic basis and screwed it up. We have been trying to get it right now for some time but the sporadic nature is a bit puzzling. For the record we try to do right by our customers and usually find a way to give most a bit more than they paid for.

We have had some unfortunate incidents with USPS and thus switched over to UPS. Having said that if you want it shipped USPS, Fed Ex, DHL or by donkey that can be arranged with just a call or e-mail.

Chris I sent you an e-mail and also tried to contact you regarding your order as most folks that order the Platinum model order one of the exotic woods. Your order came through as Hickory which while strong and rigid is rather plain looking. I sent you Leopardwood as it is the closest color family wise and even stronger. If for any reason you really did want the Hickory then we will send those to you with our complements.....including the shipping.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread but I got one of these Crocodile belts from Jim, very well made and way cool

http://sportingwoodcreations.c...ategory_Code=MEAC001

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Phil,
I tried a set of those at a Sporting Goods store in Pa and was not very impressed. They seemed a little thin as far the tube diameter was concerned and were easy to "spring". Thicker tubes would help.

Have a look at the BOG-Pod camo versions. They are a bit beefier and have a different locking mechanism.

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need. Wifey bought me a set from African Creations. But since it is for Christmas I am not allowed to see them yet, lol.
If the quality of the sticks matches the customer service they will be top notch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sticks are worth every penny. Easy to set up, solid, light, two piece if you want to be sitting down instead of standing.
Will be using these for many years.
Thumbs up and thanks to Kebco or I would of never known about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this link works. Here are instructions for tying a shooting stick together. I am working on my oak take-down sticks now, but will use this method (hopefully) when I am ready.

http://www.africahunting.com/a...-shooting-sticks.pdf

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a beautiful set from Jim at Sporting Wood Creations. I am impressed with the quality and the excellent service.

Thanks to members for the recommendation, and to Jim in getting them here, and a better set than ordered!

Just busting to take them out now and use them! Played with them before I went to hospital, didn't know what I had been missing. Now about buying a double rifle to go with them...Big Grin

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Jim from African Sporting Creations...we now have the filled leather double rifle tripod rest on the site for those of you who want to practice standing up. Located in the Shooting Stick Section

jim
www.africansc.com

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Why not practice shooting standing and kneeling position? If one is proficient at rifle shooting with a sling, shooting sticks, bipods and other crutches are not needed. Is any interested in real marksmanship anymore?

DR #2276, P-100 2021