Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead:

I did by from African Sporting Creations a set of their tripod shooting sticks back in April. I used them to shoot my newly acquired 470 NE DR. The shooting sticks were a tad springy (did not affect shooting accurately at all) but were very sturdy and secure, very well made indeed. The copper connectors snap together very snug and tight and they don't come apart without a deliberate action.
The best part of the deal was that I got to communicate with Jim and get to know what kind of a first class operation he runs. At the beginning they did not get my inquiring email regarding their shooting sticks. I did contact them again and found out that they did not get my first email; Jim was apologetic and answered all my questions. I did tell him that I was strapped for time and have a very short time in the States and needed to use the sticks as soon as I arrived home. He promised to get the order in for me immediately and ship them as soon as it is ready. Later on that day I did email him again telling him about their site problems and they need to address it and they might be losing customers because of that problem.
He emailed back thanking me for taking the time to let him know and offered to upgrade my order to their next level shooting sticks free of charge. He under took filling up my order personally, built my sticks that same night and mailed them to me first class the following day. they arrived couple of days latter just before my arrival home from overseas.

Now if you don't call that a first class professional service, I don't Know what would you call it.

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God’s best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re Rev Recoil's suggestion as to shooting with a sling. DR and big bore shooting not the same as conventional rifle shooting. Please consider:

1. Many DRs do not have slings.
2. DRs with slings usually have the forward sling attachment point out on the barrels...not conducive to being able to place your support hand against as with stock-mounted slings.
3. Kneeling is not an option in long grass or brush...and not as steady as standing and using shooting sticks. DR recoil is also a factor in kneeling.
4. Shooting sticks go way back, and were developed to fulfill a need. They work and add a dimension of stability to shot placement. DRs are relatively heavy, and you are not suited up with jacket, glove, sling like in target shooting.
5. Even the buffalo hunters used shooting sticks. Note...if you are into black powder cartridge shooting sticks are used.

You are correct that we should practice marksmanship!

Eagle One

NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
SASS Life Member
DRSS (.450 NE, .375 H&H, .45-70)

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember the last time I fired at a big game animal without using some type of rest; backpack, rock, tree, buddy or guide's shoulder, or my current favorite: the bog pod camo tripod. It also serves as a great walking stick on rough terrain and water crossings.

I am an above average shot in every firearm discipline (and have the trophy's to back it if that means anything); but I try to remove as many variables as possible when it comes to shooting an animal. A bad shot in a match means no trophy or master rating today. A bad shot on an animal means you failed to be a responsible hunter for whatever reason. I am sure we have all made that bad shot and swore "never again will I fail". Use the best equipment possible, a cartridge capable of killing under the worst conditions, and lots of practice. I think whatever shooting sticks you prefer definitely improves one's chances of success.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malek,

Thank you for your kind words and while we don't always get it right we do our best to leave folks predisposed to considering us for their future needs.

Speaking of which, customer feedback on our Double Rifle Tripod rest has been very positive. You can see it at www.Africansc.com under the Shooting Stick thumbnail. Simply slip off your African Sporting Creations shooting stick leather covers and slide this over the two tops.

Verney Carron double rifle pictured is everything they said it would be and more.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Do any of you guys prefer 2 legs to 3 legs on your shooting sticks. I have the 2 leg Bog Pod and 3 leg African Creations sticks. I find the 2 leg system a bit easier to use and several PHs I know agree. Seems like the 3 leg system always has a floater going on. I'm seriously thinking about taking the AC system apart and retying it with only 2 legs.

What are your thoughts guys?

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have wondered about the two or three legs? What say oh experienced ones?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Malek,

Thank you for your kind words and while we don't always get it right we do our best to leave folks predisposed to considering us for their future needs.

Speaking of which, customer feedback on our Double Rifle Tripod rest has been very positive. You can see it at www.Africansc.com under the Shooting Stick thumbnail. Simply slip off your African Sporting Creations shooting stick leather covers and slide this over the two tops.

Verney Carron double rifle pictured is everything they said it would be and more.

Jim

Jim:
Sure you got it right this time. Wink

It was pleasure doing business with you, I am in business myself and can tell and highly appreciate when somebody runs a professional sound operation.

I just checked your new DR shooting stick rests
they definitely look solid and will provide good protection for DR and will be more comfortable if you chose to hold your DR with your hand on the sticks. I will order me one when I put in my next order with you.

tu2 beer

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do any of you guys prefer 2 legs to 3 legs on your shooting sticks. I have the 2 leg Bog Pod and 3 leg African Creations sticks. I find the 2 leg system a bit easier to use and several PHs I know agree. Seems like the 3 leg system always has a floater going on. I'm seriously thinking about taking the AC system apart and retying it with only 2 legs.

What are your thoughts guys?

Todd:

I did use the two legged sticks and while they provide a very good solid rest and easier to maneuver, I do still prefer the three legged ones, especially on the range, they do stand by themselves and don’t require having me put them aside every time I want to reload and then have to set them up again, my .02.

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prefer three sticks. They are more stable Good luck

Eagle One

NRA Benefactor
SCI Life
SASS Life
DRSS (.450 N.E. .375 H&H, .45-70)

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Tumbleweed Tony
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of wearing out my 3rd and 4th sets of Brand-X collapsible shooting sticks. I replaced them with a Platinum Grade Tripod with a Double Rifle Rest from Jim at Sporting Creations.
I had unique dimension requirements for using them from a sitting poition. I also need to use them on concrete as well as in the field. Jim gladly accommodated these requirements, recommended wood type, custom built an extra set of bottoms, supplied heavy duty rubber tips, inscribed my name and delivered them in an incredibly short period of time. He said what he would do, and then he did it. He followed true to his word and is a great person to deal with.
I would like to pass this information to everyone: African Sporting Creations' products are top quality and Jim's personal integrity is impeccable.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
If you have a third leg 'floating' whilst useing a tripod you dont have it set up correctly. A good set will last a lifetime.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote