Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM Splinter Forend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I think the new forend looks great - well done, Chris. Gotta respect your continued efforts toward improving the product.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tim.

We are always trying... see link below. Wink

Josh Spies Artist Series

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
While I applaud the effort and the product, still a good ways from splinter I feel.

Merkel is already where this new Heym design is, already, and below that a true splinter, H&H Royal .375 Flanged,

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
do not see that Merkel truly as a"splinter"--
thoughI like the Brit you picture

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree actually and that's the point I was trying to make as well, the new Heym "splinter" came about as far as the standard Merkel non-splinter fore end. I see splinter as being, way, way smaller. I find the Heym lines pleasing, just not at all a splinter fore end to these eyes. *Edit, in direct comparison the new Heym pattern is certainly svelter than the Merkel's, just didn't quite go all the way to splinter. Beautiful working gun nonetheless, I almost carried a Heym instead of a Merkel for a working double. Perhaps one day.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments. As Heym 450/400 suggested, we... 'didn't randomly come up with a new forend length by throwing darts at the wall.'

Making the shortest/smallest forend possible was not the objective. We wanted to replicate the approximate size and shape the best. We looked at, measured, and studied rifles from pre-war to current production and included both those made in London and Birmingham. In the end, the Holland and the H&W were the two models that we felt that offered the best balance between length, width and shape.

The length of the shorter forend is obvious, but the profiles of the forend were also just as important as the length. Case-in-point, we didn't like those that went in a straight line from the knuckle to the barrels. That's a personal opinion, but the wedge shape just didn't seem to compliment the lines of the rifle as well as the Holland and the H&W, where a gradual radius seemed to be more pleasing.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the HEYM and the Holland. The HEYM is a little larger in the photo (because the stock and barrels are a little longer,) but the scale is accurate and puts the length in perspective.

Of note is the fact that the Holland is photographed more squarely from the side, whereas the HEYM photo angle is from a little bit beneath. This accentuates the belly on the HEYM and makes it look a little taller than it is.

All-in-all, we are quite pleased with the new shape. It is noticeably shorter and slimmer.

Stop by to see it Dallas, Houston or Vegas.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great. Do you have a pic from underneath so we can see the width of the forend compared to the barrels? like the middle picture from Angus' post?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may stand corrected, that appears svelter than I was picturing. Good post there.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
do not see that Merkel truly as a"splinter"--
thoughI like the Brit you picture

You are correct about the Merkel, but it is far from a Beavertail, and only differs from a true Splinter in length. Because the Merkel is fitted with a Deeley for-end latch the excess wood can be re-shaped to shorten it considerably!

I can live with the Merkel fore-end wood but I will not own a beavertail on any firearm I own! The New wood on the Heym is fine IMO!
.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Very nice indeed. Since we're "wishing", figure out a way to get rid of the notched receiver and we're even closer...

I agee on the notched action, puts me off the Heym doubles I may be able to afford !

A very nice looking rifle all the same, the case hardened model looking very nice .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:

I agee on the notched action, puts me off the Heym doubles I may be able to afford !

A very nice looking rifle all the same, the case hardened model looking very nice .

This may be a dumb question but what is a NOTCHED action?

If you are referring to the third fastener on the rib, I see nothing wrong with that design. Every UK brand has had some sort of rib extension third fastener. The dolls head, the screw grip, and dolls head with a fourth bite in the nose of the dolls head for a top lever extension, and the rising bite. All required a cut for the things between the fences.

I fail to see the problem other than personal choice, but certainly not from a negative strength issue!
................................................................... Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

This may be a dumb question but what is a NOTCHED action?

If you are referring to the third fastener on the rib, I see nothing wrong with that design. Every UK brand has had some sort of rib extension third fastener. The dolls head, the screw grip, and dolls head with a fourth bite in the nose of the dolls head for a top lever extension, and the rising bite. All required a cut for the things between the fences.

I fail to see the problem other than personal choice, but certainly not from a negative strength issue!
................................................................... Confused

I could be wrong Mac..but I believe they're talking about the shape of the action from the side.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The knotched action beats a through bolt to my eyes.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm good with the Heym frame shape, they're a German double and I don't see that as a bad thing, they have their own style accents. A blend of the better attributes of English suits it, without trying to flat out become an English best copy.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
+1 Angus

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:

I could be wrong Mac..but I believe they're talking about the shape of the action from the side.

Thanks 450/400, I see what is meant by a "NOTCHED ACTION" now!
I never dreamed that anyone would object to the shape of that place in the action! It seems to just add a little more strength to the wrist area which is a weak point in most doubles.

Thanks for the reply 450/400! It's nice when you Ask a dumb question and get a sinsable answer!
...................................................................I'll mark that down in my little book! cuckoo

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yes Mac, I meant the recessed/cut out rear of the action, purely cosmetic, I presume that is what Jorge was referring to as well ?

I've had a few encounters at work & privately where I would have loved to had one of these fine Doubles in my hands, that's for sure !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Called a scalloped receiver.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for taking the effort to compare these two rifles. Although this new Heym is a very fine DR, it somehow fades when shown together with a H&H... I do not mean to offend you guys from Heym, or those who have Heym DR's, but it struck me when I saw this comparison that there is light years between a Heym and a H&H, in my opinion.

Posts: 43 | Location: Norway | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Perhaps "ligh years ahead " in price...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the Heym retails around 10% of the H&H, I think they're doing swell. Wink

I've yet to shoot game with the H&H Royal pictured above, but have shot truckloads with my German double (Merkel), I find I use the more affordable double the most. But it still has to be quality, I have a Baikal that's the same as the Royal, yet to take anything. The Germans seem to have struck the right middle ground of quality and price, at least to my liking.

Anything that makes them look a little better I'm all for, too.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
While I applaud the effort and the product, still a good ways from splinter I feel.

Merkel is already where this new Heym design is, already, and below that a true splinter, H&H Royal .375 Flanged,

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Called a Scalloped]scalloped receiver.

The Merkel pictured above, and the examples in Mike's link are what I had always thought of as a SCALOPED action. However I suppose the Heym shape could be called "SCALOPED" as well!

The Merkel has the scalloped on the back of the action, and also on the forearm wood as well. The scalloped action requires some complex fitting of the wood to the action.

I don't find the Heym shape to be a draw back, and no matter how far away one sees a Heym rifle from the side it is instantly identified as a HEYM! No other double that I am aware of has that shape.
......................................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes Mac, I meant the recessed/cut out rear of the action, purely cosmetic, I presume that is what Jorge was referring to as well ?

I've had a few encounters at work & privately where I would have loved to had one of these fine Doubles in my hands, that's for sure !

Yes I was. I realize it's just a matter of taste, but that was one of the reasons I did not go with a Heym.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote