Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM Splinter Forend
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
We’re always listening to our customers, and a smaller, slimmer, shorter forend has been requested by many.

Just taking a little more wood off was not a viable solution… to do it correctly, the entire forend had to be re-scaled to ensure that it was proportionally correct.

This meant that a new forend latch had to be designed to allow for the proper taper (from the bottom of the forend up to the barrels). The radius was also changed in the latch to allow for a forend smaller in diameter and more rounded.

Overall, there is a pretty substantial reduction. It is slimmer, more narrow, more rounded and about 1.5” shorter than the previous version.

This new forend will be available on all 2016 rifles, and we will have examples at the Shows next month.

Here it is shown before checkering.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stop it!!!

Before I have to order another rifle tu2

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice modification...I was worried that the existing forend would have been too wide on my future 577 :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looking good. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It's getting there. Looks nice.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Top Gear would call that a glimpse up a skirt. I'd probably agree.

Nice stuff.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's more like it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
............. tu2 Every time I see a new Heym double rifle they look more and more like it was made by one of the top makers in the UK!

...................................................................... beer Very nice Chris!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it very much. Now if you really listen to your customers, lose the nickel silver and replace it with colour case and a 26" barreled .500 would be just about irresistible.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
'bout time!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
While an improvement, hence my statement that, "It's getting there", I'd still like to see something smaller in terms of a splinter. It's amazing to me that modern DR builders are so reluctant to build a "traditional" stocked rifle when there is a push to do so. My VC's "splinter" is an improvement over the horrid beavertails but it still left a lot to be desired. They have since built a more WR themed rifle which finally gets the proper look, IMO of course.

I still find the WR style splinter to be the most pleasing. Granted, I felt quite different about them when I first became interested in double rifles. I'd like to see the the Heym with about 3 more inches knocked off that forearm and the sights set a bit further back to match.

Something like this is most pleasing to my eye. As always, YMMV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr. Williams

I can't figure out why its so hard to just copy the best DR stock designs from H&H, WR, Purdey and others. When will they finally understand 99% of DR buyers simply want the damn rifle to look like its supposed to and yes is supposed to look like a British double because I said so Big Grin

When they finally figure it out..I'll buy two tu2

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the shape of the forend is as important to the lines of the rifle, but I would be interested to see if we can come up with the "perfect" forend length here.

Measure your favorite from the end of the forend iron to the tip of the wood.

How long is it?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect Heym didn't randomly come up with a new forend length by throwing darts at the wall Wink

So I'm going to take a guess that your new forend length and shape is exactly the same as some of the British makers or maker. As far as 3" shorter that Mr. Williams makes reference to, that would be too short for my tastes. I suspect WR splinter is not 3" shorter than the one you posted. I wasn't complaining about the rifle you posted just the general reluctance for makers like Heym to "get there".

More importantly what is the price on the rifle pictured above?...I feel like its time for an upgrade Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

Measure your favorite from the end of the forend iron to the tip of the wood.

How long is it?

Manton 8"
Lang 8"
Boswell 7 3/4"
Holland 8 1/2"

Seems to definitely be a "sweet spot" among the makers. First three are lever releases, last is an Anson release which may explain the extra length (I did not measure to the tip of the plunger, just to the end of the wood). Of course, the Heym is a Deeley release.

Just eyeballing the picture, assuming the rifle has 24" barrels, I would say that forearm is right at 8", maybe a tad shorter.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I suspect Heym didn't randomly come up with a new forend length by throwing darts at the wall

Wink

quote:
I'm going to take a guess that your new forend length and shape is exactly the same as some of the British makers or maker.

You, sir, are wise beyond your years. tu2

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never would have thought that after firing 4 repeated shots at an ele that the barrels would get so hot that I could barely touch them.I like the one on my Searcy.There is some wood there that I could grip if things get hot.The new one on the Heym looks good too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Looks great. My OCD goes nuts though when I don't see the sights centered on the wood. Just me though...no reason for it except the OCD.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a WR to measure. Adam?

When I said 3" off, I was estimating where the front of the release is to make it look more like this:

Yep, the WR seems to be a bit shorter than the H&H, at least visually. An actual measurement may prove different but to my personal taste, the WR rifles look best.

Chris, what is the exact measurement on the new forend?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Anyone have a WR to measure. Adam?

When I said 3" off, I was estimating where the front of the release is to make it look more like this:

Yep, the WR seems to be a bit shorter than the H&H, at least visually. An actual measurement may prove different but to my personal taste, the WR rifles look best.

Chris, what is the exact measurement on the new forend?

The WR seems to have the sights set back on the barrels more than H&H typically has and I'm not sure if the forend is actually shorter or if its just thinner up front...but yes its definitly a different look.
I prefer the slightly longer, thicker look that H&H or Purdey has.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep, could just be thinner. The taper is certainly more pronounced.

And as I stated earlier, I didn't like the look at first but the more I'm around DRs, this is what my tastes have evolved to.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The rear sight is moved forward for faster sight acquisition, but that's a personal preference... just tell us how far you want the rear sight from the muzzle, and we'll accomodate.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually think Heym finally got it right this time. Not as thin as some, but elegant and effective. The wood on that pic is awesome as well. That's a DR I could live with.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
could we get some more angles and someone holding it? And price Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I actually think Heym finally got it right this time. Not as thin as some, but elegant and effective. The wood on that pic is awesome as well. That's a DR I could live with.

Very nice indeed. Since we're "wishing", figure out a way to get rid of the notched receiver and we're even closer...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
While an improvement, hence my statement that, "It's getting there", I'd still like to see something smaller in terms of a splinter. It's amazing to me that modern DR builders are so reluctant to build a "traditional" stocked rifle when there is a push to do so. My VC's "splinter" is an improvement over the horrid beavertails but it still left a lot to be desired. They have since built a more WR themed rifle which finally gets the proper look, IMO of course.

I still find the WR style splinter to be the most pleasing. Granted, I felt quite different about them when I first became interested in double rifles. I'd like to see the the Heym with about 3 more inches knocked off that forearm and the sights set a bit further back to match.

Something like this is most pleasing to my eye. As always, YMMV.

It must difficult to achieve this short tapered foreend with the modern trend of small actions. On the Heym large action this should be easier.
I do like the minimal rib for the rear sights on those two. Makes for quicker sighting down the barrels like a shotgun.
As MJines noted, 18" or around 180mm to 220mm would be ideal.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the forearm stock and the whole stock on the WR is not english but German.It is a weird copy of the Obendorf Mauser.Asking Heym to make the stock on the double more english is a joke,IMO.They should make it more German-like an Obendorf Mauser stock with a small forearm but not too small-just right.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I think the forearm stock and the whole stock on the WR is not english but German.It is a weird copy of the Obendorf Mauser.Asking Heym to make the stock on the double more english is a joke,IMO.They should make it more German-like an Obendorf Mauser stock with a small forearm but not too small-just right.

Confused
Don't Oberndorf Mausers typically have a schnabel forend tip?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so.Even if they do it is the general shape that is copied.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

George, The Westley Richards stocks are about as English as you can get! Certainly not Germanic style!

I have a Westley Richards 500-450 double that looks exactly like the last two WR rifles posted by Todd with the exception that mine has two triggers like the first one he posted.

................................................................................. Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I like it very much. Now if you really listen to your customers, lose the nickel silver and replace it with colour case and a 26" barreled .500 would be just about irresistible.

Although the titanium nitride receiver coating is Heym's standard offering. I ordered both of my rifles with blued receivers a standard option as I recall.

My third rifle (just ordered)will have a cased colored receiver.

Both my rifles wear 26" barrels , which as I recall is the standard , but they offer other lengths as standard options.

I find the forend on my current rifles quite comfortable, thought the pending rifle will have the new splinter.

I find the rear sight placement, with my aging eyes, to be about the right distance.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Chris can jump in here but does anyone know if 28" barrels are available. I really like the longer barrels of some of the older doubles I've seen. 26" is a nice length but I wouldn't want any shorter. 28" is about perfect for my taste.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Maybe Chris can jump in here but does anyone know if 28" barrels are available. I really like the longer barrels of some of the older doubles I've seen. 26" is a nice length but I wouldn't want any shorter. 28" is about perfect for my taste.

Yes, we can do 28" barrels.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
28" barrels on a 1905 Gibbs 450NE

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a really nice looking double...28" just seems right to me.. Congrats on a great rifle and even better trophy!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My Westley Richards 500-450 has 28 inch barrels and it does swing nicely, but I personally prefer 24 inch barrels.

The 28 inch barrels are a throw back to the black powder days when long barrels were needed for black powder. Most of the nitro doubles with 28 inch barrels were made just about the time the transition from black to nitro between 1898 and 1910. Then the move to 26 inch barrels till about 1950s/60s when most went to 24 inch unless ordered with longer barrels.

It is simply a matter of choice today, but 28 inch barrels in a new order is not common with a few requesting 26inch.

.................................................................. old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
28" barrels on a 1905 Gibbs 450NE

Love that picture; AND the 28" barrels. I wanted 26" on my VC, but Ken recommended 24" so we settled on 25" Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be 27"....like the look, and the ballistics as well.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote