THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    new 470 NE for under 9K...possible?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new 470 NE for under 9K...possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another feature of the gun I failed to mention.

Bushed firing pins.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This just keeps dribbling out, eh? Smiler

Like an Agatha Christie mystery.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nice looking and I hope the quality is
at the desired level to make this a winner.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

LMAO

Why the hell not just say "Here it is guys, this is what it comes with and this is the introductory price".

Why ask a question which you already have the answer to ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, where do we sign up to order one with all the features mentioned, what is the price, and how long for delivery?

I would most likely order one as long as the name "Hein" isnt mentioned anywhere.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of posters on this thread are worried that the resale value on their doubles is dropping.....

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
Seems like a lot of posters on this thread are worried that the resale value on their doubles is dropping.....

I only own one so if the values are dropping I hope they continue so I can buy anotherSmiler Otherwise I am shit out of luck, lol.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AF

That is a nice looking double.

I have seen some of AF's wood and he has some really good looking "stuff".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AF,

I assume I would be able to mount a scope on a 450/400. Can it be factory regulated with the scope?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of a shocking coincidence but your rifle looks A LOT like a Searcy.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
One of the first three prototypes pictured below. It has low grade wood on it. All the guns since then are wearing higher grade wood as standard.

There are several around the world being torture tested. They are doing great.

Solid one piece rib with the quarter rib integral, sites are dovetailed in.

Best of all they are all regulated with U.S. ammo and they all shoot under 2 inches at 50 yards. They will come with the test target. Most are shooting even better than that. Half of them shoot under an inch.

We are pleased with them and have been working towards this result for some time.

freeman, a few questions please

Steel reinforced action based on the British Tradition. which tradition is that ?

are these actions sabatti actions or siace actions ?

what would the price break be, if you actually used shoe lump or even chopper lump barrels ?

where are the guns proofed ?

when you say testing what do you mean by that ?

im just wondering, because with what you are writing here, this is what i get out of it.

aluminium shotgun body made in italy with a monoblock with rifled barrels in, cnc ribs and hardware(no flys on that if fittet correctly)
turkish walnut is rarly being used by a lot of euro makers for the big ones because it is not strong enough for that use, are you using a larger profile for the stock ?

i think i understand your dream but i also think there is a lot more to the building of dbl. rifles than what you are proposing here.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

The rifle has a good over all look about it, but i see a couple of things I don't like. No1 it seems to have a Anson latch to hold the front wood on the rifle, and those things are problematic at times. As the spring gets weaker with some age the fore-end wood tends to fall off under recoil,if they are too strong they are somtimes almost imposible to get off the rifle. If the has a problem the only way to remove the forend is by splitting the wood to get to the latch.

The action seems, from the pictures, to be an aluminum aloy of some type, and I may have misunderstood the phrase in the poster's description, of the action, but it seems he is saying the action is re-enforced with steel, and he seems also to be saying this is not a A&D type action. It also seems to me he is saying the A&D actions are not good actions. Is that the case?

I, as I said above, may simply be misunderstanding his description, but I would like to know what type of under lug/lugs this rifle will have. Simply stateing that the lugs are Mono-block is not enough. Is it a Purdey under bite, or a multiple lug (byforcated) like the Krieghoff,with a single bite, or a double lug for the Purdey sliding bite & double lugs? Is there a third bite in a rib extention, or hidden third latch, a doll's head or greener type crossbolt?

I have nothing against the Mono-block barrel set, and in fact, I believe the Mono-block to be the strongest way to assemble a barrel set, even if it is frowned on by most double rifle guys.

These are some of the questions I have about this rifle, and I hope the this rifle turns out to be a dimond in the rough, especially at the $8.5K price!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

It has to or else it would belong in the Classified section.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
It is simple.

It is a steel action.

It is reinforced.

It has bushed firing pins.

You can have ejectors if you wish. (with or without)

It has higher (not Supreme, exhibition, special select etc) wood. Most people will be VERY pleased with the wood. It is included at no additional cost...unless you give me a headache. -thats a joke. The one pictured is NOT the grade of wood that will be on the guns. It is a lower grade on the prototype pictured.

We started with the A&D action and went from there. It is not a straight A&D but the tumblers and principals are similar.

There is no plastic holding tha barrels together. The gun is steel and wood.

There is nothing funky about its design.

It is a Purdey double underbite with monoblock barrels. This design is more than strong enough and easy to manufacture.

They shoot great and are regulated with American ammo. They come with a test target.

The ribs are one piece and properly joined.

Double triggers...double mechanism. That cocks on opening.

No auto safety.

The wood is Turkish...ALL of Europe uses TURKISH walnut on all the wood stocked guns that are clearly not American Black and maple...i.e. Pedersoli, Uberti etc.
I know. We sell the wood to a great many.

Turkish is Perfect for big bore doubles. If it is not someone better tell Holland and Holland and Purdey. They are screwing up and need to be told.
If you doubt Turkish see me at Dallas or SCI and I will show you how good it is.

This does not belong on the classifieds.
That gun is not for sale. This is an anbnouncmement.
I am not taking orders.

They will be in stock and sold on a first come first serve basis. no waiting.

Call with Q's if you have them.
Otherwise we will see all of our friends here at the shows.

Might even do something special for AR memebers. But in doing that it is surely likely that someone will suspect something is scewed and to good to be true.

The bottom line is we are not trying to make a fortune off every gun. A year from now or two. Maybe the price will be a great bit higher...I do not know. Thats the future.
We just want to sell a few and go hunting for big nasty's too.

She arent roket sience fellars.
But we may be stupid for offering them at that price.
We like taking on a challenge.

Adios.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
AF,

I hope all this works out for you. If you need any advice, wanted or unwanted, we are lined up here to offer same, as you have witnessed. Smiler

You are right, it is not rocket science. I do hope that they turn out at a price where you can grab a piece of the DR market.

Best of luck.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
P.S.

I'd rather have the cheap wood anyway, as it would be lighter in weight. "Wood don't kill elephants." Smiler

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd rather have the cheap wood anyway

Blasphemy! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I thought it was blasphemy because I took my cheap Sams Club nylon luggage to Africa?

I guess add the wood to the list of blasphemous deeds I do-ed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
What would be the point of building guns with plain wood on them?
It would not interest me and I doubt it would interest potential buyers nearly as much as fine wood with some figure does.
Besides that the foundation of Luxus LLC is the wood.

We are not charging extra for the higher grade wood. patriot

Incidentally, the amount of figure in a blank of wood has nothing to do with weight. There are a lot of myths about gunstock wood. I do not know how some get started but there are some real doozies out there.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Freeman for answering my qestions!
I'm all for you with this project, and if it turns out well I will be looking closely at your product! Will you have one of the rifles at DSC in January? Is I would love to take it in hand for a feel, and a look over! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I give up!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
I'll bring the guns and the magnifying glass.
Yes we will have some at Dallas and SCI.

I can attest, they feel good. I have a modest collection of English SxS's that is what I have shot extensively. I got a fair eye and a familiar hand when it comes to English guns.

They are not a vintage English rifle with the soul of Africa in them. They are however a facsimile.

Will,
Don't give up. I don't mind you giving in and buying one of those guns at the shows...but don't give up!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
500N
Thats fine.
You can buy this gun for under 20k.

Well,

What a great thread! I first say that Adam is one of my friends, I have known him for a couple of years and the first time I met him, I liked him. He is a do"er" not a talk"er"! When he gets an idea, he makes it happen or tries to make it happen. If he is putting together a gun for under 9K I'd bet that it would be well finished and look like a double should--"smell of fish and chips", as both Adam and I seem to have an affinity for Scotch, tweed, and British rifles and shotguns.

I bought 2 of Adam's Bwana rifles-- Famars boxlock rifles. One in 450/400 and 500 nitro. Nothing comes close to them in quality and workmanship for the 20K price tag. When Adam says XXX wood it truly is XXX wood! It will knock your socks off, and I'm sure he would not put even a plain stick on a gun-- even if it was priced at 9K, its just not in his genes! Wink

I love to get on here and read, what guys want! They cry and scream that they want a big bore double for under ~9K and then when someone puts a foot foward they "POO-POO" it and whine of sub-par quailty.

Go for it Adam-- I hope you sell 500 or more of them! thumb

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
AFreeman,

I am very interested and I believe that you may be costing me my next trip to Africa.

What is your production schedule as far as when the first guns will be offered for sale?

What volume of guns do you anticipate being capable of producing per year?

When do you anticipate being able to offer left handed guns?

What stock dimensions will be standard?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Thanks.

Fjold,
Thanks for your interest.

Don't worry about the trip to Africa. I may consider guns in trade. Additionally, I know a few guys that can help you on your next hunt, if you want.

Production is currently running.
Volume is not to relative in the case of these big bores. Reason being is that we have the capacity to do over 1,000 in a year (maybe) but we do not want to do this many. Besides, there will not be that many sales. That is a reason why most makers have stayed away from this micro-market and it is a reason why the makers that have dipped into it continue to up there retail price. There is nobody challenging their pricing.
A great point of interest to anyone that enjoys these guns as much as I do...and I know the rest of you do. --IF, if we wanted to build a gun similar to one or two makers that currently build double rifles and by doing that what I mean is CHEAP to produce, well we could easily retail it for somewhere around $3,500 and still be making money. What they have done is eliminated all human skill and involvement and used modern ideas to put two barrels side by side and called it a dangerous game gun because it is a big bore...nonsense!

Two barrels...no plastic joining anything together.
Two triggers.
Two trigger mechanisms.
Two locks.
Independent of each other but sighted together.
These guns are being hand joined, barrels ribs and stocks. They are pretty damn nice and a great value.

Lefty's are easy. I will try to have one or two at Dallas and SCI. Call me if you like.

Stock dimensions are 14"lop over a red silvers type pad. We can get longer if needed. Shorter can be adjusted easily.
The drop at comb and heel is set with the open sights, which are low profile...as all dangerous game guns should be.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Adam,
The wood you are using is beautiful and should definitely help attract buyers. Love your comment about the plastic joined barrels! The action looks very similar to one I saw offered at SCI. I don’t remember the name of the company however I believe they were located in Turkey and made both shotgun and double rifles. Where are you sourcing these actions from?

BTW I am not trying to put a negative twist on this project….I believe a quality double can be made anywhere however I think it is important for folks to understand where the work is being done.

Best of luck on this project and I look forward to seeing a prototype in Dallas.

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
no problem.
The actions are being made in Italy.
The Italians are building more quality guns than anyone presently. A dirty little secret is that many guns from other countries start life in Italy.

Because we have a warehouse in Turkey I have visited the "makers" there. The metal is not the best nor consistent. The quality in the guns from Turkey is just not there. Kimber gave up on them and I suspect S&W will soon as well as the others that are getting guns from there, there are a lot of people out-sourcing to Turkey, even Beretta. Future will tell.
I would NEVER consider them (Turkey) for a big bore. A pump shotgun ok..maybe, but NOT a big bore double.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
We fully expect to have guns for purchase at Dallas, not just prototypes.
Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam, will the recievers be "white" or Color Case?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They will be a gray color similar to French gray. It is a soft color.
The steel being used does not case color very well and I have no desire to use chemicals.
The steel is similar to the steel used by Heym and Merkel. But again, softer in color. Almost aged.
Very high strength but not many options for coloring.

I do like case colors myself. The best looking color job I ever seen was achieved by applying Lysol toilet boil cleaner (with 0000 steel wool) over Doug Turnbulls colors.
Patina galore. Beautiful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam, what caliber is the double on your website? Nice looking rifle for under $20K, and by Famars?

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
Hi AFreeman,

The Bwana rifle certainly has a great look. I am curious though as to why among the selection of calibers the 577 was skipped. I take it that you believe that there is a better market for the 600 than the 577?

Thanks

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will you have a facility in the USA to be fitted for this double gun?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
That Famars double is a 470.

Don,
Thanks, they do build a fine rifle.
The 577 is also available. I just failed to mention it.

onefunzr2,
We have a facility in the U.S. Give us a call anytime.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm rootin' for ya AF!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said before, sign me up at that price if you can make it a true lefty. But I would love to see a left hand example before placing an order.
What are your ordering terms and how long from deposit to finished rifle in my hands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm rootin' for ya AF!

Me too!!

Posts: 75 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any news on how this project is progressing? Still going to be at Dallas?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
As I said before, sign me up at that price if you can make it a true lefty. But I would love to see a left hand example before placing an order.
What are your ordering terms and how long from deposit to finished rifle in my hands?

They never answered my questions posted on 2 Aug 09. No contact, no business. I ordered a Searcy.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
So was it AFreeman that ordered those Sabatti´s in .450, .470 and .500 N.E. that now are sold by Cabelas?

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote