THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    CEB bullets versus North Fork bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CEB bullets versus North Fork bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, have any of you any experience with both these brand of bullets on DG ? If you have I would like to hear your opinion.

The reason for asking is that I am planning a new safari next year hunting buffalo/tuskless. I have in my life shot 3 buffalo and one tuskless. The two first buffalo with 375 HH and the last one with 450 NE using 480 grain CEB Safari Raptor and CEB Solid 480 grain on the tuskless. The CEB bullets put both animals to the ground in the same second I fired. I would love to use the same bullets again, but CEB is not obtainable in Norway or Scandinavia. North Fork are available as the company was bought by Swedish investors a couple of years back. It’s a 2-3 hour drive or shopping by the internet to obtain North Fork. But will they perform and do the job like CEB’s ?

Hope anyone out there have some experience to share with. And please .. I know of Woodleigh, Barnes and all the others, but that is not the point. I just want comments on North Fork bullets versus CEB’s.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both CEB Raptors and Solids and NF Cup Point Solids (CPS) on buffalo. The one NF CPS was a 300 gr, as I remember, in .375HH at 2,500 fps. The bull was facing me at 45 yds and the CPS bullet went from front to gut perfectly straight. One shot kill. The CPS expanded a little too about .590 and had a sharp edge on the meplat. Outstanding bullet. I highly recommend it as it was to me by the designer Michael McCoury. (Google B&M Rifles and Cartridges.)
For me the CEB Raptors (Three Buffalo) are excellent. I used it in .500-110, 410 grains at moderate velocity and all cape buffalo were were dead-right-there, immediately. with broadside mid shoulder shots. But remember they were all .500 cal bullet which kills much quicker than a .375 in my experience.
Another bullet That I like is the Perigrine Bushmaster from South Africa. I have used it once on Cape buffalo in 577 NE at 1,800 fps. ( Semi expanding solid type performance. Bit more expansion than the NF CPS Solid, but not much more. It's also a "hammer" in my limited experience. (DRT)

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the CEB Bullet in my Bolt and Double guns with that said you cannot go wrong with Northfok Bullets... they have an exceptional Solid and their Soft's are as good if not better than an A-Frame. I do not have any experience with their Cup Nose but someone is sure to chime in...
The Big question is whether your Double likes them (Northfork) ....
Can you not have someone in the States buy you CEB Bullets and mail them to you ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Zephyr. Also, I think that NF Softs are a bit tougher than A-frame bullets which I have used several times on big PG. I think that they would be a good soft bullet for cape buffalo.
However, I would not hesitate using NF CPS for my first bullet on cape buffalo, especially with your 450 NE. Keep the velocity up for a little expansion. Also, the driving bands on the NF bullets are said to be very "barrel friendly" . Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not use CEB, but have used North Forks a good deal, if fact I tested them for Northfork on a lot of buffalo before they were put on the market..As good a bullet as Ive used and I particularly like the cup points, an expanding solid of sorts, how can you beat that?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot big animals with both including buff/ele/giraffe etc. don’t think you can go wrong with either. However on the northfork only used the solids and cup points with great results. Never used the their bonded sorts.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote