THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Browning O/U Rifle in .30/06
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning O/U Rifle in .30/06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine ask me about a double rifle he's considering buying and I told him I didn't know much but I knew a place I could check for him.

It's a Browning O/U, with a straight grip, rifle chambered in .30/06 and it comes with a eet of 20ga bbls. It's got a scope on it that shoots accurately but at 100 yards the top barrel is shooting about a foot higher than the bottom.

His basic questions were

1) What will the recoil be like in a ltwt 30/06?

2) Will the rifle be able to handle the pressure of standard 30/06 factory loads?

3) What will be needed to get the top and bottom barrels shooting to bascially the same place?

4) The appoximate value of the rifle/shotgun combo in excellent conditon with a Leupold vriable low-power scope?

Any thoughts appreciated.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has one. I have shot it a bunch. He never mounted a scope. However, I was able to whack a 12"x12" gong at 200 yards with iron sights. I liked it.

I can only address item 1&2. I have no idea about the others.

1-It is very mild.

2-My friend shot a ton of factory ammo through his. No problems.

With respect to item 3, I would think it would need to be re-regulated. However, I do not know that with certainty.

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Sounds like it's a Browning "Continental".

They are a trim little double and very lightweight, but anyone used to shooting the 30-06 or larger calibers, won't have any trouble with the recoil.

Yes, so long as the rifle is in sound condition and tight, it will handle factory loads.

It may be the fact that a scope has been fitted, which is causing the barrel groups to shoot apart. Try it with the open sights and see what happens. These rifles were originally only fitted with iron sights as far as I know. The weight of the scope and mount may have thrown the regulation off.
Handloading using different powders and bullets etc, might bring the two barrel groups together.
Just the standard old system of getting a double to shoot by trying different combinations in the handloads.
Use a chronograph to ensure that the velocity is not being pushed too high though. The 30-06 is getting "up there" as far as double rifle pressures go, and it doesn't take much to get beyond safe DR pressures with that cartridge.

Sorry, but I can't really help you with the current value. There would be others here who would have an idea on what it's worth I would think.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one of these, just not enough to pay for it.
Was offered one in .270 a few years ago for about $3kUSD, but passed.
At this time, I'd likely take one for that figure - if I knew it shot well.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .270. The combo of 30-06 with 20ga. barrels in perfect condition are near 5 figures.
They were made in the 80's. Mine has the nicest wood I have ever seen, except they never filled the pores.
I don't have a scope on mine, and will never put one on. It shoots fine and even though it is heavy with the two barrels, it feels like you are carrying a feather in your hand.
I do believe I could put it up to my chin and fire it, no kick whatsoever.
I paid 2500.00 about five years ago.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were mine I would first find out what load was used to regulate it. If that load doesn't shoot better,try it again with out the scope using the iron sights. If it still doesn't shoot send it back to Browning and if they won't take it, send it to JJ at Champlins.

465h&H.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
First thing to know is that the Continental set was factory regulated to shoot 150 grain ammunition. The second thing to know is that after the scope mounting all bets may be off as to what bullet weight the rifle will prefer.

I had a scope added to mine in 1991 and the regulation changed from 150's to 200 grain bullets. Had I know the outcome I would have paid more!

The worst bullet weight was the most common; the 180 grain choices. Perhaps that is what he tried. Before the scope mounting, and when I had younger eyes, the rifle would consistently shoot 6 shot groups under 1 inch at fifty yards.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
I too have a Continental set in 30-06. Fortunately, my barrels are well regulated. It shoots 173 gr. Lake City Match within an inch at 50 yds. 180 gr. Winchester Power Points into 2.5" @ 100, all with iron sights and failing eyes.

Continental sets are quite rare. Browning made only a little over 700 of these from the late 70's to early 80's. 500 of these were of much higher grade than the field grade.

If he can buy it below $5,000, it's a bargain. I agree that the scope mounting probably did change the POI significantly.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
An older post with some additional information, or just search Browning Continental.
About regulation and test fireing

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Baikal 30.06 SXS. Recoil isn't bad but it gives you a nudge.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote