THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Per Butch NO DEAL - 600 NE SEARCY - Oh Well - If You Don't Ask, You'll Never Know
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Per Butch NO DEAL - 600 NE SEARCY - Oh Well - If You Don't Ask, You'll Never Know
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
XXX

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on the party, but as a former .600 NE owner, I would not rather have a .470 NE even if it costs more than a .600 NE. The .600 is just too much rifle to carry, and too much recoil to handle. I have been in car accidents that were more enjoyable than pulling the trigger on a .600 NE.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Was it a 14 pound rifle?

Was it regulated at 1950 FPS or the Jeffery load of 1850 FPS?

Did it fit you well?

What would have made it acceptable for you?

I contacted www.gscustom.co.za about flat nose solid bullets for ellie.

Gerard wrote to me that they DON'T use the traditional 900 grain weight for their 600 NE bullet.

They ONLY use 750 grain weight for their 600 NE bullet in the HV or the FN, the same weight as traditional 577 NE bullets.

He says it is good for regulation and it adds to the velocity.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

The rifle weighed 14.75 pounds. It had a Pachmyr pad, but the pad was a little hardened due to age (10 yrs?). Loads were 900 grains at 1950 fps, both reloads and Westley Richards factory ammo. The gun fit and balanced great. I could put 3 shots into 3 inches offhand at 50 yards. But it took 10 minutes to recover from the nausea and dizziness after each shot. 3 shots was my daily limit. Ibuprofen before and after the range session was absolutely necessary. Before I owned a .600 NE I never got seasick. Now I get seasick easily, even on airplanes. Probably the .600 NE rattled my inner ear loose.

What would have made the rifle better? I don't know. It was too heavy for me to carry on a serious hunt, and kicked too much for rapid fire. If it were 3 pounds lighter, my neck would have snapped in half and left my head rolling around at the shooting range. If the gun weighed enough to be comfortable to shoot, I would have gotten a hernia carrying it from the house to the car.

These may be some of the reasons why Butch only sells one per year. Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:

I contacted www.gscustom.co.za about flat nose solid bullets for ellie.

Jack,

Are you talking about Elephant (above)? Ellie is a girls name, are you planning on killing someone by that name? pissers

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dan, you have educated me again.

Nasty side effects for sure, they give one cause to think.

510 wells,

I have used a word, (ellie) that the ZIM PH Dudley Rogers of www.tshabezisafaris.com used when writting to me about elephant.

If I have misspelled it, sorry, I never won a spelling bee.

I am not too smart in general.

I don't even know if you're adding the pissers is a joke that is going way over my head or an insult to me or something else altogether...

Please explain because right now I am just bewildered Confused

Jack

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
What is the largest rifle you have shot? If a 600 did that to Dan (who I don't get the feeling is particularly recoil sensitive), it would make me think twice unless I was 100% that I could carry a 14 lb 600NE rifle all day and shoot it with no ill effects. It would really suck to spend 18 - 24 K on a rifle only to develope a horrible flinch and be afraid of shooting it. Plus the cost of feeding a 600 makes me queazy. Then if you decide to sell it, it may take a while due to low demand

IMO, do yourself a favor and get a 500 NE. It is a good compromise between a 577 and a 470/450 and much more versatile then one of the 577+ cartridges.

Then if you really want to step up you can.

Have you seen the thread about the Searcy 470 at Chaddicks? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
O

Please explain because right now I am just bewildered Confused

It was MOSTLY in jest Big Grin

DRSS member

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Five Jack
I have shot several 450/400's, my 450 No2 around 3000 times, several 470's, 2 500's,[all doubles] a 500 Jeffery, a 505 Gibbs, 2 378 WBY Mags a 460 Wby Mag. I have owned a 416 Wby Mag a 416 Rem Mag, shot several others, and 2 458 Win Mags.

I would advise YOU and ANYONE ELSE considering a double rifle to get a 450/400 [3" or 3 1/4" doesnot make any difference].
You can never go wrong with a 450/40l0.

However IF a person has experience with say a 458 Win Mag, and that recoil does not bother him then a double in the 450 to 475 class would be a good choice.

I would ONLY recommend a 500 double to some one who has shot a rifle with the recoil of a 458 Lott or above AND LIKED IT.

A 577 or a 600 for a persons first and only double is a bad choice in my opinion.

I used to want a 577 or a 600 VERY BAD.
However after 5 elephamnts and 3 buff I realize my 450 No2 is the perfect rifle for me.

Trust me on this, for your first double get something under 500.

THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO is to come to the DRSS hunt at Camp Cooley this Aug.
You could learn more about double rifles there, in less time, than anywhere else on the Planet.

PS.
I handled several 577 double rifles just today.
I am no longer tempted. I would buy a second 450/400 first.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I have been in car accidents that were more enjoyable than pulling the trigger on a .600 NE.

rotflmo animal rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigFiveJack
Please take mine and 500Grains advice to heart.
I have shot doubles with 500 grains a couple of times. He owns and shoots 2 500 Nitro doubles, he ain't no wimp. Neither is Rusty, ask him about a 500 Nitro.

Question, BigFiveJack, what is the biggest rifle you have shot?

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
BFJ

Having shot quite a few different cal.(450class-600) I can say a 600 is a lot of gun. I wanted one for the longest and a 14.5 pound Jeffery solved that want. Damn nice gun just too heavy and one hell of a push. I did not get sick or need medication after shooting , but did not want to shoot more than 4 to six rounds at a time.And it was regulated for the 100grn load.

I will tell you that if you could talk to Butch down from 24K to 18K, your a hell of a trader, and I would be intrested in a 577 boxlock, for half the money he came off for the 600NE (15,000)

I had one of Butch's early 577 it did not handle as well as I wanted so I sold it, but I think Butch has the idea better now. The 577 is a lot of gun but if it weights 12.5 to 14 lbs and is balanced "between the hands" it is a true joy with a ton of power.

I say Butch build a 577 PH with a color case reciver and 24in barrels for 15K and I'm in.

BFJ shoot a 577 that is well made and If you want more their is always the big 6!

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you talking about Elephant (above)? Ellie is a girls name, are you planning on killing someone by that name?

Commonly used and perfectly acceptable short form for elephant.....

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kayaker,

Thank you for "Backing me up".

510wells,

You know, I was brought up in New York City, and that attitude a person naturally develops when brought up there instinctively told me that you were "taking a shot at me" when you added the pissers and I was angry right off, because I had NOT provoked you or any one at all, and I took it to mean you were "pissing" on me.

That icon you chose is called "pisser" in case you did not know.

I put that anger on hold, deciding that maybe I was wrong and politely asked you to explain.

Your "MOSTLY in jest" follow up has convinced me that my initial impression was CORRECT. Mad

So, stop being indirect and type what's on your mind instead of "MOSTLY in jest".

If you DID intend to insult me even though I did NOT provoke you, lets take this to PM and clear up the problem.

Sorry in advance if it is due you.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the subject,

I have shot a 450#2, a 10.5 pound 500 NE and a 458 LOTT.

I was good with all of them, and when time allows, I will join up with those riflemen again for more shooting fun!

Doc52 has said I am invited to shoot his new beauty from www.searcyent.com - a 577NE at about 13 or so pounds when he gets it.

If I feel that is too much, of course I will back off the 600 NE idea.

Jack

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
He'll make just as much profit making TEN 600's as he makes selling TEN 577's, as there is obviously NO measurable difference in raw material costs.

Jack:

I think you may be making some broad assumptions here.

I know nothing about building double rifles, other than what I read and hear from others. But there must be a reason why there is usually always a premium for the larger caliber double rifles.

I think your proposition will be an extremely hard sell, both to people and to Butch. There are probably a handfull of people who want to buy a .600; even less people will ENJOY shooting it. Now, if you proposed a .450/400 or .470, that will probably be a lot more attractive than a .600 NE.

Butch is busier than a hooker at a Democratic convention and I'm not sure if a group buy is something he would be interested in.

Just my two cents.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'd charge at least $10,000 just to regulate half a dozen 600's. OUCH !

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
quote:
Are you talking about Elephant (above)? Ellie is a girls name, are you planning on killing someone by that name?

Commonly used and perfectly acceptable short form for elephant.....

Sorry, but not to me!

DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
i will have a searcy 577 presidential grade right handed double for sale by the end of august.....

asking 13000usd(obo) if interested pm me.

the gun is still in the usa so there wont be any added paper work.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:

Butch busier than a hooker at a Democratic convention.....

LMFAO - now thats one I havent heard before. rotflmo

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I'll let you shoot a .600Ok first or a .600 NE then think twice about spending 18K on a gunsafe queen. Fired once, dropped once, sold on gunbroker.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would but im getting to the point id rather spend the 18k shooting more elephant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six posts up, 510Wells of Washington State, U.S.A. is telling Kayaker, of The Republic Of South AFRICA what proper jargon is for Elephant!

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've decided that my 500 NE has about the highest level of recoil I want to feel on a consistent basis. I would love to shoot some of the bigger bores, but, at this point Wink(never say never), I have no interest in owning one.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Six posts up, 510Wells of Washington State, U.S.A. is telling Kayaker, of The Republic Of South AFRICA what proper jargon is for Elephant!

510Wells what is your PROBLEM?????

I never said that!

For some reason using ellie instead of Elephant bugs me, sorry but you just happend to be the guy that used it one to many time for me to not say something.

Lets just drop it, okay

DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:

510Wells what is your PROBLEM?????

I never said that!

For some reason using ellie instead of Elephant bugs me, sorry but you just happend to be the guy that used it one to many times for me to not say something.

Lets just drop it, okay

DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.

One few East, one flew West, one flew over the cuckoos nest.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
I would love to have one!! I would also need it to stop my charging wife when I tell her I spent 18K on a rifle!!

Could a person not just simply load it down for more shooting comfort like Mark Sullivan?? I heard His loads are in the 1600fps range??

Good luck B5J! If you get Mr. Searcy down to around 12K, count me in!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Does MS really load his rifles down to 1600? Anyone have direct evidence?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Seems I recall Jeffeosso telling me he (Mark Sullivan) loads his down. Maybe he could chime in!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i talked to mark not to long ago and yes he dose load them down not that low but 1700fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
For some reason using ellie instead of Elephant bugs me, sorry but you just happend to be the guy that used it one to many time for me to not say something.

Lets just drop it, okay

510Wells, you have said ...."sorry but you just happen to be the guy that used it (ellie, slang for elephant) one to many time for me not to say something. Lets just dop it, okay"

You have said, "SORRY"... I accept your apology, issue DROPPED.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you sure can load down the rifle.

Plus, as I said much earlier, G S Custom Bullets www.gscustom.co.za makes ONLY a 750 grainer for the 600 NE.

So, a bullet that is about 18% lighter than standard 900 grainer, and less powder, hopefully yields a load that can be "handled" by alot more people.

Points of impact will change but it's just for light practice and the "fun" of making 6/10 of an inch holes in paper.

Or you can fire at a three foot diameter steel circle target from 300 or 400 yards out and "lobbing them in". cheers

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frowner Butch says it just would not be something he would do. Oh well....

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe a group buy of 577's......at least a little more practical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I guess you just didn't try hard enough Razzer

Seriously, these guys know what they're talking about. I was ready to buy a 577 I saw at a Cableas here in Texas, and the group was kind enough to talk me down from the ledge.

Most DR shooters are not particularly recoil sensitive and a lot of guys here have shot enough different calibers to get in their own comfort zone.

When a highly experienced member compares his experience with a 600 to a car wreck, don't think twice - think 4 or 5 times.

The only person I have seen sing the praises of the 600 Nitro is Mark "I will let my tailor decide how he wants to dye" Sullivan. And I don't believe Mark has a 600 any more.

If you want something over 40 caliber, look at bolt guns in 500 Jeffrey and 505 Gibbs. But find a way to shoot one first. Some of the recent ones I have seen for sale with "just a few" rounds fired have 2 recoil reducers, and are still for sale. You don't spend that much money on a rifle you are going to sell at a loss unless recoil is an issue.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 NE, Jim Manion,

Sure recoil is a measure less with the 577NE.

You call it, 577 more practical.

I guess it is, a little.

The both are for the same beasts, right?

I was shooting for the 600 because it has a special appeal to me.

Not a practical thing, just the opposite actually, pure emotion.

As far as too much recoil to shoot it at all, it's already been said, it could be loaded down.

I would not have "pulled the trigger" on the purchase myself until I had fired a 600 NE for myself or 600 O.K.

But what ever...

Jack

one of us
posted Hide Post
ryan breeding will biuld you a 600 caliber bolt action for starting around 16k

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

A 600 Nitro does have a ton of appeal. But it is not even in the same zip code as a 577.

If you can get one of those Holland and Hollands for under $20K, I'm in clap

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have spoken in person to Mark Sullivan on a few different occasions.
He is adimate that his 600 has saved his life many times. I have handled his 600 Marcel Thys 600 Nitro. It is one of the nicer 600's I have handled.
However the last time I spoke with him he was going to England to be fitted for 2 577 Nitro's.

I have it on fairly good authority his 600 loads go 1800fps.

If you see his videos, it is apparent his loads do work.