THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sweet Deal on a Beautiful Searcy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet Deal on a Beautiful Searcy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just doing my usual lusting around and ran across this.

$16k with a great stick of wood...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Certainly a great option for someone that's not interested in waiting for a custom build.
A couple grand cheaper too.
I doubt it will be available for long.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even better, for a serious hunter, the Classic for $9995. The difference would get you to Africa for a "no-frills" buffalo hunt if you shopped a bit.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Even better, for a serious hunter, the Classic for $9995. The difference would get you to Africa for a "no-frills" buffalo hunt if you shopped a bit.

Rich
Buff Killer

The one I linked to is a Classic, at $2k off regular retail. The PH (used to be the Field Grade) is $9,995.

Posts: 10552 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
A great stick of wood?

It has a knot in it!

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gun toter:
A great stick of wood?

It has a knot in it!

That runs the whole way through, no less. The knot and the one sided figure would turn me off. Calibre too.

I would prefer a plainer piece of wood, with equal figure to this piece. But that is why there is Chocolate, vanilla and so many other flavors.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I humbly apologize for my misguided attempt to force anyone to buy this rifle, and for my assumption that if Butch Searcy built a rifle on this stock then the obvious knot was, and would remain, stable.

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
jefffive,
its not about "stability".
It's about $16,000 and a KNOT!

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of Highly Figured wood with knots and other inclusions of very expensive rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between knots and burl. Of course I do not know what it is you seen that you are remarking on.
This stock on this Searcy has a huge knot that is split in the middle and filled with perhaps bedding compound.

My point is that this should not be on a $16,000 rifle.
I could see it on someone's personal rifle that he/she built themselves...

But not for sale as a new gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ran across what I thought was a nice rifle at an attractive price, and thought AR folks might want to be aware of it.

To me, that's a very nice stock, and as long as that knot is stable, which I'm confident it is based on the name inscribed on the gun, it doesn't detract a whit.

If I knew how I would delete the entire fucking thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffive, you should know by now that, on AR, no good deed goes unpunished! I for one appreciated the tip about the Searcy. Even though I am not in the market for another double I like to know what is out there.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Jeffive, you should know by now that, on AR, no good deed goes unpunished! I for one appreciated the tip about the Searcy. Even though I am not in the market for another double I like to know what is out there.
Peter.
+1

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also want to thank you for all those out there that enjoy the reading and looking but don't necessarily remark on what is being shared.
Those who see what they perceive to be concerns are also sharing and helping those who may not know as much or look as hard.
Thanks for your efforts. Gun toter thanks for your observation,
NE 450 No 2, thank you and JPK thank you and yes thank you
Virginia, wherever you are.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Jefffive,
Dont get all twisted up over it.
My point was this....it is and was a defective blank when Butch bought it and picked it for his guns.
Then knowingly used it on a gun that would be listed for $16,000!

This shit is not (no Pun) rocket science.
If you want to build a quality product you start with quality product!

Knots in the wood, especially one that runs through the blank ALL THE WAY to the other side is a DEFECT!!!
Further, this knot had a crack through it that required filling...Holy shit!

Yes it’s pretty. But it is defective and it bugs the hell out of me that a manufacturer would use it.
Why not use pitted steel? Who the hell cares? It can be color case hardened and it will look pretty.

These boards can be harsh at times, but (and you should take all claims of intelligence with a grain of salt) when someone that is knowledgeable offers advice in one form or another, you should recognize it and take heed.
Warning: there are a lot of experts on this AR forum that know very little…just a bunch of regurgitated ignorance and when it gets passed around enough well by God it must be true.

This blank of wood on this Searcy is a prime example of this. When someone sees another guy getting excited about a defective stock/blank….DAMNIT he thinks that shit is acceptable. Well, he does not know any better, and he passes this shit on like a virus to his ignorant friends. Get it?

LOL!

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
And by the way, Hatchet Jack would not have bought a gun with a knot in it!!!

Neither would any of the grand ole mountain men.
They knew better!

It's like a mink with mange!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

These boards can be harsh at times, but (and you should take all claims of intelligence with a grain of salt) when someone that is knowledgeable offers advice in one form or another, you should recognize it and take heed.
Warning: there are a lot of experts on this AR ALL forums that know very little…just a bunch of regurgitated ignorance and when it gets passed around enough well by God it must be true. there are a lot of experts on this AR forum that know very little…just a bunch of regurgitated ignorance and when it gets passed around enough well by God it must be true.

This blank of wood on this Searcy is a prime example of this. When someone sees another guy getting excited about a defective stock/blank…. DAMNIT he thinks that shit is acceptable. Well, he does not know any better, and he passes this shit on like a virus to his ignorant friends. DAMNIT he thinks that shit is acceptable. Well, he does not know any better, and he passes this shit on like a virus to his ignorant friends. Get it?

LOL!

Well said, especially this bit.

"just a bunch of regurgitated ignorance and when it gets passed around enough well by God it must be true."

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A great stick of wood?

It has a knot in it!

+1, good call.
Another example that handsome or pretty can hurt you, not that the knot is going to split more or compromise the strength of the stock, it should not be found on a 16,000 dollar rifle.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are kidding, right? It may not appeal to you in the way it looks, but that knot has nothing to do with the strength of the stock. Especially in English/Turkish as opposed to black walnut.

Lots of critics that are neither buying nor building that rifle.

Don't like it, pass on it. I'll bet it sells eventually, which means someone else voted with their money and not just typed.

Its ok, lots of room for different tastes.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
You guys are kidding, right? It may not appeal to you in the way it looks, but that knot has nothing to do with the strength of the stock. Especially in English/Turkish as opposed to black walnut.

Lots of critics that are neither buying nor building that rifle.

Don't like it, pass on it. I'll bet it sells eventually, which means someone else voted with their money and not just typed.

Its ok, lots of room for different tastes.

j

i think you missing the point.

It's not about Tastes, it's about standards and what is and isn't acceptable
as a stock and on a gun of this price - Or, IMHO, any gun like this.

Personally, I think the stock looks great, but it shouldn't be on there
with those flaws in it.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500, I assume you don't intend for your posts to come out the way they sound. Do you really mean to pronounce this stock "unacceptable" even though you are not the buyer or the builder? While it may not be the stock blank you would choose, it could well be very acceptable to the guy who buys it. Technically, that would mean that you were mistaken in your declaration; in that the builder produced a product that met the expectations of someone who pays $16,000 for it.

You do not care for the appearance of the stock on a nice rifle? That sounds to me like what you are really saying.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

pretend you are in the market for a new vehicle. Will you pay retail new for one that sat on the dealer's lot thru a hailstorm?

Double rifles are like beautiful women. This is one that has a wart the size of a walnut on one cheek.

Assuming you bought this rifle; the first reaction of anyone who saw it would be why Searcy built a DR using a #3 grade creosoted fencepost.
If you do not understand this, it is a rifle you should buy. That's a piece of wood that should have been made into a full length table lamp.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Personally,I know that Butch stands behind his product,if I had not commited to another rifle in the same caliber,I would have taken a serious look at this one,f..k the knot,if the buyer likes it,that's a decent looking rifle,some of the well wishers on this forum should stop knocking an American gunmaker who's only trying to do his best!

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh A

I just re read my post.

Yes, it came out how I wanted it to.

I don't beat about the bush and call a spade a spade, if you don't like it, fine, we will just agree to disagree.

That is why I put at the end, "Just my HO".

If you want a full on discussion about it, not a problem, I'm no shrinking violet.

IF a customer had specifically ordered that stock for that gun, fine, their choice, but if it was built as a stock gun to sell, that's where I can't understand putting that stock on it.

It may look good, be structurally sound, but it is still a flaw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Personally,I know that Butch stands behind his product,if I had not commited to another rifle in the same caliber,I would have taken a serious look at this one,f..k the knot,if the buyer likes it,that's a decent looking rifle,some of the well wishers on this forum should stop knocking an American gunmaker who's only trying to do his best!

Why the emphasis on Amercia gun maker ?

My comments, and probably some from other people, I would say
would be repeated regardless of which country the gunmaker is from.

IMHO, It's not an American bashing exercise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is the ONLY thing I have seen come from Searcy that I would not be proud to display in my home. I own three Savages and all at least have knot-free wood stocks.

Rich
Buff Killer

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
popcorn pissers coffee pissers

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are getting to the point of silly. Unless you are interested in the rifle, its just idle chatter.

Idaho, I am always in the market for double rifles, I've bought a couple in the last few months. If I had not just bought a two barrel set from Searcy in 375fl and 450-400 I would have already had this Searcy on its way out here.

I have bought a few high end Turkish blanks over the years, I have a real high end one (the best diamond grade two-piece blank Luxus had) in Ralf Martini's shop right now. The Searcy blank is perfectly servicable. I might have had a higher figured one used if I custom ordered the rifle, but that blank would not have given me a second's pause for purchase.

Relax, its fine.

I dunno about you folks, getting bent out of shape over a knot in a stock on a rifle you don't own.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eee-gads!

Is the knot a structural problem? NO

Is it a bit unsightly? Yes, to me.

Is the rifle a good deal? Yes, we all know it will shoot well, is very attractive and is in a good caliber...AND, is available NOW!

Would I buy it, no!

Disclaimer: I'm very particular about the wood that goes on my rifles.....It's just a mental sidorder that I have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sp. - "DISORDER" dang'd typing BS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I was just about to ask about the "mental side order." I may have had one of those at one point.

j

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted this rifle, I would use the "knot" as a negotiating point on the price.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Bravo,
that is an excellent suggestion!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
If I wanted this rifle, I would use the "knot" as a negotiating point on the price.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
You guys are getting to the point of silly. Unless you are interested in the rifle, its just idle chatter.

Idaho, I am always in the market for double rifles, I've bought a couple in the last few months. If I had not just bought a two barrel set from Searcy in 375fl and 450-400 I would have already had this Searcy on its way out here.

I have bought a few high end Turkish blanks over the years, I have a real high end one (the best diamond grade two-piece blank Luxus had) in Ralf Martini's shop right now. The Searcy blank is perfectly servicable. I might have had a higher figured one used if I custom ordered the rifle, but that blank would not have given me a second's pause for purchase.

Relax, its fine.

I dunno about you folks, getting bent out of shape over a knot in a stock on a rifle you don't own.

j

Josh how is that 2 barrel set shooting?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Gun toter:

Quoting from your earlier post:

quote:
My point was this....it is and was a defective blank when Butch bought it and picked it for his guns.
Then knowingly used it on a gun that would be listed for $16,000!

Just for your information:

I called Butch Searcy this afternoon and asked him when to expect my .450 N.E. Classic. He said that the action and barrels were being mated as we spoke. Stock selection is next. He said that he would send me pics of a few blanks from which to choose.... but I couldn't pick one with a knot. Big Grin

I laughed, of course, and then he told me that the stock being discussed on this thread was selected and delivered to him by the fellow who contracted to have it built. It was the buyer's choice, not the builder's.

So, IMHO, if the guy who had the rifle built liked the wood (warts and all, so to speak)... who the heck am I to tell him its value... unless, that is, I want to buy it myself.

Jumping to conclusions is not always advisable. I sometimes feel like an idiot when I do so.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450, both Searcy sets are shooting extremely well. Frankly I am surprised at the accuracy. I just threw together some 375 loads and it will just stack bullets on top of each other at 50yds. After 8 or 10 rounds I can lose count of the holes becuase it just eats the center out of my target.

I haven't loaded too many yet for the 450-400, but the factory Hornady softs will let me stay on fist size rocks at 80 yds without much of a stretch.

I have been tinkering with the Heym 470 for the last week or two trying to determine which will be primary for elephant when I hunt next month. Right now the 375 is the most accurate of all three, I may very well hunt the ele with it.

We'll see.

j

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have taken elephant and cape buff with a 9,3x74R double, I would recommend you use the 400 or the 470 for elephant.

Extreme accuracy is usually not a requirement for elephants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450, that surprises me. I just assumed I needed to be able to place the bullet within an inch or so either way.

Do you believe that there is enough difference in power between the 450-400 and 470 for me to concentrate on the 470 exclusively? The 450-400 is in pretty good shape but I will need to work with the 470 quite a bit more to be prepared.

I do have LOTS of bullets for the 470. Northfork, Barnes, GSC or some other solid?

Suggestions appreciated.

j

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh I have also taken elephants with a 450 No2, and a 450/400 3 1/4".

The 450 No2 is my favorite elephant gun, mainly because it fits me so well, and I like the .458 bore.

However the 450/400 did a perfect job on cape buffs and elephant as well as lion.

Between the two I would use the one that you like the best.

I have always taken 2 doubles to Zim so I would recommend that you take both the 470 and the 400/375 two barreled set just in case something happens to the reciever of the 400/375 set.

You have a very good pair of doubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450, thanks for the help. I am going to take both rifles with me, but I am going to Namibia. Kavango if I remember right. My wife is backing me up with her 243 Kimber super America. Do you think she should shoot solids or softs?

I'll keep working on the 450-400 and the 470. If I can get either up 4" I'll be OK.

j