Find
Notify
Tools

A gift of scotch
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
It's not double gun related but I know that some of you might have more knowledge in this area than I do.

I was just given a bottle of Chivas Royal Salute (21 year old when bottled) that was purchased new in 1973 so I figure that this bottle is now at least 59 years old.

Obviously this is a higher end scotch whisky but how good is it?

The seal is broken from handling on one side but it is an unopened bottle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12559 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Royal Salute is a great blended scotch, one of the best blends, in my opinion. Unfortunately, whiskys don't benefit from aging in the bottle like some wines do but it doesn't hurt them either. Enjoy it, that's a nice gift! beer

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is absolutely no good. Rot gut. Poison. I will do you a favor and dispose of it in an environmentally proper way. Simply forward it to me and I will take care of it for you.

Terry

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a good Scotch but unlike wine whiskeys stop ageing when bottled

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd just enjoy it!

Then if you like blended whisky, I'd go down and buy a bottle of "The Famous Grouse Brand". The best selling blended scotch whisky in Scotland!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You are fortunate to have a friend who will gift you such a whiskey. No harm done and it will not have improved in any way. Enjoy!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have a few friend's who are scotch drinkers so I will break it out at the next group gathering and see how it goes over.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12559 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'd just enjoy it!

Then if you like blended whisky, I'd go down and buy a bottle of "The Famous Grouse Brand". The best selling blended scotch whisky in Scotland!

I have always found Chivas to be a little to "heavy" for my taste but Rusty is right. Famous Grouse is a fantastic scotch. However, bourbon is the way to go!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No bourbon,and Dewers is the best blend. Glenmorangie 18 year old is the best single malt.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I used to drink bourbon exclusively, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams, until about 20 years ago when I developed a taste for scotch. As a result, I lost my taste for bourbon and now I can't stand it, can't even gag it down, it's just too rough. It may be that for a lot of folks they either like one or the other but not both, at least that's how it is for me.

I agree with Rusty and Dave that The Famous Grouse is a fantastic blended scotch, it is my favorite scotch and Red Label is a close second.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
I used to drink bourbon exclusively, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams, until about 20 years ago when I developed a taste for scotch. As a result, I lost my taste for bourbon and now I can't stand it, can't even gag it down, it's just too rough. It may be that for a lot of folks they either like one or the other but not both, at least that's how it is for me.

I agree with Rusty and Dave that The Famous Grouse is a fantastic blended scotch, it is my favorite scotch and Red Label is a close second.

Well Mr. Rat, you are lucky.

I am one of those Philistines that drinks and enjoys both, so if you have any of those old bottles of Williams or Turkey hanging around looking unloved and unwanted, I'm your man. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenmorangie "The Quarter Century" 25 Year Old Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky is one of the best.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Highland Park 18yr old

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'd just enjoy it!

I have always found Chivas to be a little to "heavy" for my taste but Rusty is right. Famous Grouse is a fantastic scotch. However, bourbon is the way to go!

I just got a bottle of Black Grouse for the first time & really enjoyed it - Amazing blend. Famous Grouse is very nice too for a standard blended Scotch.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
Highland Park 18yr old

Now we are talking Single malts...different ball game IMO...