Notify
Tools

Chapuis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello

Anyone ever see a Chapius sidelock double in 9.3 x 72R?
Found a 2 barrel set. 20ga and 9.3.
Was it originally a shotgun and then they had Chapius add the 9.3?
Both barrels marked Chapius on the rib.

Any input?

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x72? That hasn't been a popular caliber for many years....the gun must be quite old? Perhaps you meant 9.3x74?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or even a 9.3x74 Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even better!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I am going on memory and mine is crap lately.
I think it was 72 but could have been 74.

I will try check on Sat.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is, or was, a 9.3x72 as well, but it was quite some time ago and of limited power compared to the current 9.3x74R caliber. It started as a Black Powder round, and has about the power of a 30-30 or 35 Remington; a 193gr bullet at 1,952 fps.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unlikely it was a 72; no reason to make a 72 on such a strong action when the 74 is so much better.
And it is also likely that both barrels were made at the same time; doesn't matter anyway; they are both factory. I saw such a set at the Owatonna Cabelas once.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with dpcd!

I don’t know how long Chapuis has been making double rifles, but if that double has barrels chambered for 9.3X72 the rifle must have been made around 1910 or earlier.

The 9.3X72 is marginal even for deer at more than 50 yds! I would guess this rifle is a 9.3X74R rather than the 72! The 74 is a far more powerful round, just shy of the 375H&H flanged magnum. The 72 is about the same power as a .38 special plus-P handgun round.
..................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x72R killed a LOT of game in past generations. Strictly a short range caliber, from a stand in the forest it killed quite well without a lot of meat damage. The 35 Rem is a good comparison and I don't think anyone would think twice about pulling the trigger on deer with a 35 Rem. In either case, these calibers are getting close to modern day shotgun slug performance.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and shot game with several 9.3x72r's over the years. It's effective on game
up to elk at short range and a great whitetail cartridge. I currently have a JP Sauer drilling in 12x12x9.3/72R. Very underrated. Very popular in Germany for 100 years.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one is saying the old 72 is a bad cartridge; just no reason to build a new one when we have the 74.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope it is a 9,3x74R.

I have that combination ... 9,3x74R and 20 gauge barrel set. Both are marked on the underside w the same serial number as the frame.

Mine is a box lock not a side lock.

Is a GREAT pair and wonderful hunting tool. The 20 ga bbls have truly huge reach for a shotgun.

I do better with it in the field than with a 12 gauge Citori.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, yes, that's typical of a European shotgun. I think a 4-choke set-up for a European gun would be:

Full
Extra Full
Ridiculously Full
Almost Closed

:-)

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Have not made it back to the shop yet.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA