THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Finally took the plunge....Searcy .500 NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally took the plunge....Searcy .500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Since I was a little boy, I have dreamed of owning a big bore double rifle. I'm sure some of you have noticed all the questions I've been asking lately. I didn't expect to be in a position to buy one so soon....but the time has arrived, and I am quite excited.

There is a well-known gun shop in Houston called "Collectors Firearms", and I was browsing their website last week when I found what I thought was a great deal. I drove to the store Friday evening to see the rifle in person, and it had everything I've been looking for at a price I simply could not pass up. So I am happy to announce that I am now officially a member of the DRSS and the proud owner of a Searcy "PH" in .500 NE, complete with ejectors, beautiful wood, and a custom-fitted Americase!! The gun fits me extremely well, better than any other double I've handled.

I want to say a big "Thank You" to everyone on AR who has helped by giving me advice, and tolerating my many questions. This is truly the best hunting/shooting forum on the web.

Now I am anxious to get out and shoot my "new" arrival.

Here are a few photos....let me know what you guys think!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Goodness Eland Slayer... That sure is a nice first DR for anything on planet! Congrats on the purchase, I know you'll be happy with it!

Welcome to the club!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade, what a beaut rifle you have! Congratulations! Enjoy! The perfect calibre, too...

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pathetic! A Searcy for your first DR???
You should immediately send it to me and I will shoot it for you.
Actually, that is a very nice looking rifle. I have one of Butch's .500's and it is a real shooter. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. I also am anxiously awaiting a .470 he is putting together for me.
Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2 I have one of his 450-400's that looks a lot like yours. I am waiting on a 375 H&H Flanged screw grip action due to be here in March. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done Wade. Enjoy it.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great rifle and great cartridge.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! Congratualtions. I like that case too!

Would like to see some shooting results.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1927 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine rifle and caliber. You're hooked now, like you can't believe, but just don't know it yet!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wade...you will enjoy it. I bought my first double at 28...and have not been the same since..10 years later and I have owned,traded over 7 different ones...I still have not found the one....but it has been a fun quest.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Wade...I am genuinely happy for you. Great looking rifle! Take your time to learn and understand her and then have fun.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Very NICE!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...what a great day for you.
All the best.

The "B."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't believe in starting at the bottom, do you?

Very nice indeed.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9776 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and a great calibre.. Wink

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Since I was a little boy, I have dreamed of owning a big bore double rifle. I'm sure some of you have noticed all the questions I've been asking lately. I didn't expect to be in a position to buy one so soon....but the time has arrived, and I am quite excited.

There is a well-known gun shop in Houston called "Collectors Firearms", and I was browsing their website last week when I found what I thought was a great deal. I drove to the store Friday evening to see the rifle in person, and it had everything I've been looking for at a price I simply could not pass up. So I am happy to announce that I am now officially a member of the DRSS and the proud owner of a Searcy "PH" in .500 NE, complete with ejectors, beautiful wood, and a custom-fitted Americase!! The gun fits me extremely well, better than any other double I've handled.

I want to say a big "Thank You" to everyone on AR who has helped by giving me advice, and tolerating my many questions. This is truly the best hunting/shooting forum on the web.

Now I am anxious to get out and shoot my "new" arrival.

Here are a few photos....let me know what you guys think!!

You have got yourself a lovely gun indeed and thank you for sharing the photos which are all great. Keep the files away from the sights please (joke). It is great that you were able to locate such a great looking piece and I am certain it will shoot as well as it looks.

Please keep us posted on the progress with your shooting.

Cheers,

Glenn

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thats a very pretty rifle. Have you got the front sight filed down yet?

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle but it would display better laying on an old cardboard box

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and congrats...
Seems there is a wealth of DR shooting experience in Texas, take advantage of their reloading knowledge look into reduced loads for practice and certainly check out Trail Boss.
The best compliment you can give Butch is to bring it to him and say I wore it out.
Hot Barrels

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful riffle I hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the other side! Excellent caliber choice. As as been discussed on many threads, double rifles are addictive so prepare for additional purchases in the the future! Can't wait to see a hunt report.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ! Nice piece ! I know the feeling of planning, studying, testing and finally deciding and buy .. Smiler

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade, very nice piece! It was good meeting you and the Missus...hope you'll remember our secret "shortcut" to the show :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Wade, very nice piece! It was good meeting you and the Missus...hope you'll remember our secret "shortcut" to the show :-)

Biebs,

You must be thinking of a different Wade. I wasn't at DSC and I'm not married.

Hopefully there is not someone impersonating me....haha

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Excellent, very nice looking rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun, but your photos are terrible.

You need to get yourself down to the local Walmart or Dollar Store and take some proper pics in the stockroom, or maybe out back by the dumpster! Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must be thinking of a different Wade

DOH!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Beautiful gun, but your photos are terrible.

You need to get yourself down to the local Walmart or Dollar Store and take some proper pics in the stockroom, or maybe out back by the dumpster! Smiler

lol

I think only canucks use those photography techniques. We Texas boys know better Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Wade! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful rifle!!!! Congratulations !!!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elandslayer:
Need a range report to see if this Searcy needs the sights adjusted/filed down (or up) different sight beads, point of aim affected by the warmer climes of Texas or the lunar position of Uranus 4th moon, the point of aim affected by ingesting week old bean burritos, all for the soul purpose so that we can assist Mangia Merde with his sighting in problems on his Searcy .500......sorry, couldn't help myself. Actually, congratulations on a great rifle.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Wade - welcome to the double rifle club. The bad news is that is is tough to stop at owning one double. It is a sickness, and I, for one, am terminal. I already own 2 Searcy doubles and have a third on the way. Butch gives first class customer service, and the fact that you are not the original owner makes no difference. He will treat you like you are the only customer he has.
As a BTW, I killed my first eland with a Searcy double in .500NE. They are not just for dangerous game!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the rifle. I read your original thread many times as I'm basically looking, and hemming and hawing, for a double as well. I also received lots of great input thanks to you.

Enjoy!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your new to you rifle to the MAX. dancing
Clearly you and another recent 500 NE buyer did
not get your photography training from the same
instructor.
Please tells us the numbers; weight, bbl length,
LOP, load info and so on.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the rifle. Now if we can get Shoots some way to give you some lessons on how to properley shoot it.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Bill - I wouldn't let Shootacow in the same zip code with that rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
Enjoy your new to you rifle to the MAX. dancing
Clearly you and another recent 500 NE buyer did
not get your photography training from the same
instructor.
Please tells us the numbers; weight, bbl length,
LOP, load info and so on.

Weight: approximately 11.25 lbs (according to my Rapala digital fishing scale)
Barrel Length: 24"
LOP: 15" (from front trigger)
Trigger Pull: Front - 5 lbs, Rear - 4 lbs (rough average numbers from my Lyman trigger pull gauge)
Regulation Load: 110 grains IMR-4831, 570 grain bullet, Federal 215 Primers (as per Butch's file data)

I have a box of Barnes Vor-TX factory ammo 570 gr. Banded Solids arriving this week to test out. Butch told me he highly recommends the Barnes factory ammo in his rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
copycat moon

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Pleasant rifle beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote