New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am curious..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you hold your doubles when you shoot them..?

I have ended up shooting Elmer Keith style ie a good grip around the barrels in front of the fore-end..seems to give me the most steady grip..

Comments..?

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, I reckon if it was good enough for Elmer Keith, it's good enough for me. My Jeffery has a pretty small splinter fore end so I can hold it that way.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
How do you hold your doubles when you shoot them..?

I have ended up shooting Elmer Keith style ie a good grip around the barrels in front of the fore-end..seems to give me the most steady grip..

Comments..?

.......and that is the proper way it is done!

...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Mac points out, that is the traditional and "right" way and why splinter fore ends are a must. Works for me.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, grab those barrels around the fore-end; again, why beavertails should be banned.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Is there another way?

Mike

Posts: 21204 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I use my hands.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Butch handed me a rifle in his shop and I shouldered it with my fingers only on the wood. He told me right then to wrap my fingers around the barrels. I told him that I didn't want to get my dirty fingerprints on the steel and he just laughed at me and told me that that was the correct way.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Most everyone with experience will tell you to get a good grasp of the barrels on a double and I think that was the origin of the splinter forend which in a way makes holding the barrels a natural method. This is especially proper for DG rifles with greater recoil so maintaining composure while shooting and quickly regaining your sight picture is the norm.
That said, most will also tell you that your hold will have an effect to some extent on how your double rifle shoots. I agree to some point, but think that the type of hold is almost negligible as applied to accuracy. Reference the fine H&H video in this thread and see the hold employed when regulating their doubles. By most accounts, this is the WRONG way to shoot a double rifle. http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/5431037502

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My natural hold is not as far forward as some of my taller mates but I do grip the barrels particularly with my thumb.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure many here will not agree with me but the forearm piece or the barrels in front of it on a big bore double or bolt rifle is not something that must be gripped tightly.Similar to when shooting off a bench you don't need to hold anywhere near the front-see 11:26 in the H&H video.Just like a professional who climbs ladders for a living,he can easily climb the ladder without him holding on to everywhere like someone inexperienced.The body muscles have learned the trick(if you know what I am saying).Only someone who is NOT used to shooting offhand grasps way out there in the front.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Your shtick is beyond tiresome.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't you find that when someone loses in a discussion they try and change the subject.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remarkably, Shootaway is, this time, not completely offbase. But he confuses offhand, static target shooting with the dynamic shooting that hunting involves.

I am sure members can conjure up images of Olympic target shooters with shoulders back, hips forward and an elbow planted on their hip with the specially made rifle stock resting on the palm of their hand not far forward of the trigger guard.

But then there are hunting rifles and hunting...

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you shoot the way you feel is most comfortable.However I am sure you will find that after shouldering the rifle every day for years your body and mind will take over everything and do things without you giving any effort or thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]My Way[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I use my hands.
Cal

Me too ,as for my double gun 16/70 !

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
[URL= ]My Way[/URL]

I guess you wanted to move the topic to shooting bolt action rifles from the KNEELING POSITION rather than stick with shooting double rifles offhand, eh?

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grip the barrels. They get hot. I do the Michael Jackson one glove thing. Mine isn't lace.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I grip the barrels. They get hot. I do the Michael Jackson one glove thing. Mine isn't lace.

........................... jumping

A shooting glove is a handy thing to have in your hip pocket if shooting shotgun, and I sometimes use one in very hot climates with my double rifles as well. In most cases however, a double rifle is usually shot a max of four rounds in a short time span in hunting conditions, and the barrels never get hot enough to worry me enough to use a glove. Those facts are the main reason the beavertail and the use of shooting gloves were invented by competition shotgun shooting where very long strings of shots are the norm. The only place where those longer strings of shots are fired from a double rifle is in range competition, in speed stopping contests, or in a multiple charge where you shoot till the danger stops. In the last case one doesn't worry much about the hot barrels. shocker

With a double rifle I grip the barrels at the front of the forearm wood, and I will not have a beavertail on a shotgun or double rifle.

..................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, I don't want to start another beavertail vs. splinter deal, but...

What do you think about the typical forearm on a Winchester Model 21. It's obviously larger than a Parker, but smaller than the modern Browning BSS. I actually like mine. Functionally and esthetically.

I've got two of the Parkers and had still others. One of them's a neat little 30 WCF double rifle. I just sort of ignore the forearms on them. And never really liked that feature. The Brownings though, no question what forearms on those.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Mac, I don't want to start another beavertail vs. splinter deal, but...

What do you think about the typical forearm on a Winchester Model 21. It's obviously larger than a Parker, but smaller than the modern Browning BSS. I actually like mine. Functionally and esthetically.

I've got two of the Parkers and had still others. One of them's a neat little 30 WCF double rifle. I just sort of ignore the forearms on them. And never really liked that feature. The Brownings though, no question what forearms on those.

Shack, in all fairness, the choice of a beavertail fore-end is a matter of choice on a shotgun much like the English straight stock. It is a personal choice for me to have a splinter on my shotguns and they couldn't pay me to use a shotgun with a Brit straight stock.

On a double rifle, especially on a large bore double, it is a matter of which works best for the long run on a rifle with heavy recoil and one that requires the proper muzzle flip to regulated properly, and that depends on how you mount, and hold the rifle for the best results. The beavertail fore-end on shotguns were first invented for shotgun competition where the barrels get hot because of long strings of shots. In my experience the only fat fore-end wood found on a double rifle will also have a anson fore-end latch. On a double rifle that will usually just be thicker top to bottom, rather than wide like the beavertail.

It seems the majority of double rifle people think the best designed double rifles were made by UK makers, and the splinter is the style they build.

I really makes no difference to me how others have their rifles built, but if I bought one with a beavertail fore-end, I would promptly re-shape it to a splinter. That, however is just my preference!

................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]
[URL= ]3[/URL]
exclusive pictures

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]
[URL= ]3[/URL]
exclusive pictures

No wonder you can't shoot a double worth a shit. Do you really hold a double like this you scrawny little pipsqueak?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]
[URL= ]3[/URL]
exclusive pictures

How do you keep your right thumb from breaking your nose?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - that was bloody funny.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]
[URL= ]3[/URL]
exclusive pictures

How do you keep your right thumb from breaking your nose?

I don't know,my body and mind just take over everything and do the work for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway. You almost have the olympic free rifle grip right... But to get it perfect you should not grip the foreend with your hand. You have to rest the foreend on the middle of your fist reversed with pointing and pinky finger supporting the sides of the foreend. Remember to relax and not to involve any muscles keeping an even tighter bone-to-bone angle. Elbow resting on hip, squeeze the trigger like a rubber band while you slowly exhale and align sights to target. Remeber to keep the posture real tight and 100% relaxed. Hell a .500 or a .22, rifles are rifles right?.. Would be super if you let a mate upload a film of it to show all those amatours how it is done...by real professionals! I would download an save the video for future educational material... Smiler

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My body and mind will not listen to any advice they only work on real life based experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, whoever is in those pictures, I think that the LOP is too short. If you have measured it, what is it and what is your height? Butch Searcy has some physical measurements that you can take, that will give some idea of LOP etc.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

From past posts, and now the photos, there is not much mind nor body to work with.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

But how's the results at the other end?

Oh Wait... I remember...

Dead Eye Dickhead!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

I do the same.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens, shooting at that target would be way too much fun. Priceless.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens, that is the classic Texas heart shot... rotflmo

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

GREAT.
If it is okay for you, I use your statement and pictures (of the "correct shooting positing", in witch your mind and your rifle becomes one) for my shooting classes.
As an example.
As an role model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure go ahead.I will one day write a short and simple book on off hand open sight rifle shooting.Maybe Cal can help me get started with it sometime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW you can see by the way I hold my rifle that the forearm wood piece is of little importance to me at least as far as a shooting offhand holding style goes.